84/85 Riv sun visor

KS854EZ57

Would like to buy 84/85 Riv driver's side sun visor with good mounting bracket and lighted vanity mirror. Color and condition of fabric is not important but the visor MUST stay up by the roof and not droop. An 84 has an E in the tenth vin character and an 85 has an F. Thanks.

If you find a visor that will stay up, all you need to do is remove the rod from it and insert it into the visor you have. I'm working on a "fix" for these things and got it down to the point where I have one more thing to do before I consider it a good fix. I'll get to work on it again here shortly. Let me know what you find in the mean time. What you're looking for is a rod on which the plastic "winged" bushings haven't split. If they don't grip the rod tightly, your visor will sag. The wires to the lighted mirror are simple enough to work with. I've got pictures of how to take the assembly apart and put it back together again. When I've found a fix for the last little problem I have, I'll put together an article for publishing in the Riview.

Ed

Jason,

I could have used this when I was replacing a headliner a couple of years ago.

None of the visors repaired in this article have the lighted vanity mirror in them; these are the plain-janes. I found a site that the Cadillac Alante guys use for sharing info on. I did most of what they did, but apparently the Buick visors are bigger and weigh more. If this last thing I'm thinking of trying doesn't work, I'll be back to looking for non-sagging ones from the salvage yards.

The ones I took from the LeSabre didn't work well at all. They're fine if you want to use them only for the windshield, but when you try to move them to the side, they go down at a 45* angle.

Ed

In post #6, there's a picture of the new headliner and visors in the Eldorado. You can tell it's an Eldo by the placement of the courtesy light (where the visors snap in) and you can also see the adjustment screw on the newly recoverd visor. I don't think this Eldo had the lighted vanity mirrors.

Ed

Guest TwoDoorBuickMan

There is an easy but not too pretty fix for drooping sun visors. Drill a small hole through the chrome mount and the rod that goes into it. Find a finishing nail just smaller than the hole. Insert it and cut it off with about 1/16 inch sticking out the end. Support the head of the nail on an anvil or vice and tap the cut end to expand it. I would not use this for a show car, but have fixed a lot of sun visors this way as this is a common problem. No one has ever noticed the fix.

There is an easy but not too pretty fix for drooping sun visors. Drill a small hole through the chrome mount and the rod that goes into it. Find a finishing nail just smaller than the hole. Insert it and cut it off with about 1/16 inch sticking out the end. Support the head of the nail on an anvil or vice and tap the cut end to expand it. I would not use this for a show car, but have fixed a lot of sun visors this way as this is a common problem. No one has ever noticed the fix.

If that is the case, one should consider going to a small job shop and have the job shop drill and tap or worse case scenario drill it out and put in a roll pin. That would make it work and would look much more stock.

Edited by DAVES89 (see edit history)