12v headlamp/running lights available for a 38 buick?

drptop70ss

Greetings!

I have taken on a 37 buick project car that was left for dead, horrible condition but I am trying to bring it back to life. I have not been able to find a pair of 37 buick headlights or fender mounted running lights for it but I did find both from a 1938 to use. Because of the poor condition of the car and wiring I am converting to 12v but would like to not modify the headlight or running light assembliesif possible. Are there 12v bulbs that will fit into the 38 headlight buckets and running light housings without modifications?

already did but seemed to only find ones for chevy? I dont mind making minor mods but overall do not want to do anything that cannot be undone. Do you know the stock bulb numbers, maybe I can cross reference to 12v?

These are the ones I found for chevy headlights no idea what would fit the running light housings yet.

http://www.streetrodhq.com/detail/11092/Chevrolet_BULB_HEADLIGHT_HALOGEN_V_CLEAR_H.html

Guest Jim_Edwards
Greetings!

I have taken on a 37 buick project car that was left for dead, horrible condition but I am trying to bring it back to life. I have not been able to find a pair of 37 buick headlights or fender mounted running lights for it but I did find both from a 1938 to use. Because of the poor condition of the car and wiring I am converting to 12v but would like to not modify the headlight or running light assembliesif possible. Are there 12v bulbs that will fit into the 38 headlight buckets and running light housings without modifications?

Okay, the 12V Fog/Driving Lamps on 1956 Cadillac Eldorados are a single filament bulb with the same basic base and bulb shape, but without the high beam contacts needed for your conversion. Somewhere I have the name of a producer of the bulb for those Cadillac Fog/Driving lamps I'll post a link as they may well make a 12V Dual filament which would obviously solve your problem.

FYI, the same bulb type was used on many cars through 1939.

Jim

Guest Jim_Edwards

Okay, I found the 12V version of the bulb. It is a GE 2336, which is labeled as a 6-8V but is actually a 12V. GE 1044 may also work and might have a slightly brighter high beam.

Good luck!

Jim

Guest Tishabet

FYI, I believe you're going to have to pull some tricks to aim your headlights if they are 38 units on a 37 car... I think the 38 beam adjustment access is located on the headlamp where they mount to the car, and this hole is mirrored on the mounting surface i.e. you raise the hood to get to the adjustment for the headlights. Pretty sure this hole will not be on your 37 car as I think the 37 lights had the hole underneath the headlight unit. Maybe someone with a 37 can check.

If I am right, you might be able to adjust the lights by removing them from the car, making the adjustment, re-mounting etc.