Wipers stopped working

Guest tomw51

I had my wipers working fine on my 46 Continental, then I did something and they stopped. All I notice looking under the dash is a small 3/16 clear tubing dangling from around the motor. Are they wipers Vacuum operated ? As when I pull out the Wiper knob you here no click like a switch, so I thought maybe its vacuum operated. I do not see where this end could go ? If it has its own power, does it have a fuse line, do not see one either ? :confused:

I do not see what to hook up to make the wipers go. Okay its vacuum but where is the connection make from. I have one small 3/16 inch clear hose, and two black 1/4 inch rubber hoses that are not connected. Hope you can guide me more. Thanks

I don't know about lincolns specifically... but... when the engine is running... do any of the loose hoses suck air? that one is probably the vacuum supply for your wipers. keep in mind that any vacuum leak will affect your engine... might even lead to a burnt valve. plug up any loose hoses sucking air.... golf t's work good.

Basically this is how the vacuum system is done. The main vacuum line (1/4") attaches to a tube that comes thru the fire wall. This line which may have a "t" in it will go to the wiper switch. From the wiper switch there are 2 lines that go to the wiper motor; the small, 3/16' line from the switch goes to the motor and is the "parking" vacuum supply line and the 1/4" line to the motor is the main supply. There is also a vacuum line either from the "t" in the line from the firewall or a 4th port on the wiper switch that goes to the vacuum antenna switch. These old vacuum lines get brittle with age and come loose real easy. Hope this helps

I just cant locate where the 3/16 tube goes to. I hear vacuum noise but im unable to locate where its coming from around the motor as the access is so limited. Is there a better way to see up inside there to make the connections ? I do see on part that has three ports on it. There is nothing connecting to this, it may be to the top control but I have a hardtop. My antenna has been replaced so no vacuun lines involved there. The only access would be if the gauge panel was taken out, but hate to remove that in fear of breaking something else.

Working up under the dash is indeed difficult. The vacuum taps on the motor are on the top so that makes things even more difficult. The main 1/4" supply is near the center of the motor and the 3/16" tap in on one end of the motor, both on top and out of view. It might be easier to remove the 2 screws that secure the motor to the mount, drop the motor a bit and attach the hoses. When I exchanged the motor on my cars I attached the hoses to it before mounting it and re-attaching the operating linkage.

Thanks peecher for the info. I removed the two screws and dropped the motor down and was able to connect the 3/16 hose to the switch. Once I reconnected the vacuum to the firewall the wipers danced all over the windows. Great advice it works great now.