Sign in to follow this  
KittenTooth

1970 Ford maverick

Well, im new here and im looking for an opinion. My real name is Timothy and im 15 years old. since christmas time is here, my mom decided to go crazy and get me somthing to drive. I wanted a crappy little dirtbike to fix up and then beat the **** out of but i lost interest in that idea since i have a 1981 KZ1000LTD waiting for me for next summer(i Bought and built this bike) :) Then I found this car on craigslist for 300 dollars and im wondering if i should get it. its a 1970 Ford maverick with the 4.1 litre straight 6 i believe. Not sure if its the Grabber sport model or not. Has a title and supposedly he can start it for me and it WAS drivable. I think it needs a fuel pump but im not sure if its the same add that was on there a year ago. little to no rust on anything as far as i can see in the pictures and everything looks to be dirty and cleanable. So, the big question, should i buy it? what do you guys think? can i maybe flip it and make some cash if i get it running perfect and clean it up? Also was looking for some information on this car. I was curious if it was a manual or an automatic. i like manual more but either is ok. I heard these have a 3 speed manual but i want a second opinion. Heres the link to the add on craigslist.

1970 Ford Maverick

There it is, any info on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys,

KT

PS, just so you guys dont think im a rich litte monster who gets everything given to him, i figured i would clarify.. this is the very first vehicle my parents have ever bought for me. The KZ1000, all the parts it took to get it running, all the work, i did that:) im sorry but everone on these types of forums seem to judge me because of my age so i figure i would clear that up:D

Welcome to the website !

I had an MGTD as my ver first project car when I was your age.

The Maverick is an OK car ~~~

But there is really very little collector interest in them out there~~

This would make it very hard to eventually "Flip" and make any real money on this car; after you finally have it properly mechanically sorted-out !

You may find that it might be very hard to get all of your money out of this sort of car.

I think you possibly should look for a more collectable car such as a Mustang, Mustang II etc.~~~

Good Luck whatever you decide to do !

Edited by Silverghost (see edit history)

PS, just so you guys dont think im a rich litte monster who gets everything given to him, i figured i would clarify.. this is the very first vehicle my parents have ever bought for me. The KZ1000, all the parts it took to get it running, all the work, i did that:) im sorry but everone on these types of forums seem to judge me because of my age so i figure i would clear that up:D

Age is not a factor around here. I began turning wrenches and busting knuckles on my first car, a '47 Ford Coupe, in 1955 when I was a year younger than you are now. So go for it!

As for the Maverick, can be a fun car. Under the sheet metal it is essentially the same car as a Mustang with like engine. Don't under estimate that 6 cylinder engine either. Produces a huge amount of torque for its displacement, but will be a bit short in the top end because of the way they were geared. Great car to learn on and pretty easy on fuel when everything is tuned up right. Parts will be readily available and basically cheap. The big thing you need to do is rat hole enough money to buy a full set of shop manuals for it on ebay. You should be able to get a CD copy of the manuals for around $25, but you'll eventually find the printed ones more convenient to use as you work on the car.

Just don't get a case of the stupids and start thinking about putting a 302 or 5.0L into it. Too much trouble to jack around with and more costly than just later moving to V8 power with a different car.

Jim

Being a long time Maverick owner, I'd say go for it. But make sure the car is worth buying. Spend some time checking out the rear frame rails, where the leaf springs attach, also the torque boxes (under the drivers side and passenger side floor boards) also the inner fenders, and the cowl (see if the seller will let you pour some water into the vents at the base of the windshield, water inside the car, is a bad sign) Also since the car is a 70,its a one year only gas tank, and they can be hard to find.

Owning a Maverick can be a challenge, like it was said, the entire front suspension is identical to 68-70 Mustang, but pretty much everything else is Maverick/Comet specific. Some parts are available reproduction, such as weather stripping, carpet, headliners, door handles, but for sheet metal, your limited to quarter panel skins. There is an awesome network of Maverick owners across the USA, Canada, Mexico & Brazil, that can pretty much find anything you'll ever need.

As far a being a collector car, sure they don't seem to be that popular, but just take one to any car show...I regularly have people walk past Mach 1's , Camaros, and whatever else to come see my car.

It's a challenge, and can be more expensive for some parts, but in the end it's something different, not a cookie cutter car.

Mavericks & Comets are easy to work on, and have unlimited potential.

Edited by Dave Boyer (see edit history)