A Nailhead on propane

bb1970

Guest 75RivGS

It is a Riviera from Belgium... That owner had it for only 2 or 3 months. After repairing the clamshell lights he sold it.

I'm not at all concerned about converting a 455 to run on propane... but a nailhead......

P1000601.jpg

This car has a couple of other unique items added, if you noticed. See the peep mirror on top of the drivers side wing window? Also if you watch the video, you will see that the custom interior wood inserts on the door panels and console have all been replaced by engine-turned aluminum inserts.

Many, Many Nailheads have been converted to LPG ( Liquid Petroleum Gas ) here in Australia over the years due to the low cost of LPG versus Petrol (Gas).

I wouldn't think that may recent imports would have been converted but many Buicks have been sold and imported here in earlier years and used as everyday cars.....the Buicks of the 60's and 70's in particular were very often converted to LPG to lower the running costs......Nailheads and all.

The cost of LPG has increased in recent times but it is still a widely used source of fuel with new cars available direct from the factory that run on LPG only.

Guest 75RivGS

ofcourse converting to propane is not a problem and it has been done widely over here as well... but most times there only was a propane set-up added.

If you want to enjoy your engine for a longer period (more miles) you also need hardened valve seats (which came available standard on engines from 1970 and up). Propane burns hotter and seats will worn much quicker than running an engine on regular gas.

My 73 Riv and 75 Riv both run on propane. With the (insane) increasing prices of propane lately I doubt whether I will convert the other Buicks.

Edited by 75RivGS (see edit history)