1930 CK 4 door

Guest j49plymouth

Guest j49plymouth

I am in process of repairing one very nice 30 CK :cool: and just wanted to share with you all. First problem was the Clum switch that everyone was helpful to me, removed and disassembled and repaired the switch:D, removed the column control tubes for the throttle and Clum switch, waiting for response on replacement levers.

The next step is the engine, I am hopeing that it is just a head gasket and not a cracked head or worse:eek: keeps pumping water out the top, and smoke and stink. will be removing head after Christmas.

After repairing that, I have to tackle the oil leaks at rear main seal, transmission seal, and rear axle seals/gaskets:(

Merry Christmas to all and a Happy New Year!!!!

post-71647-143138382896_thumb.jpg

post-71647-143138383246_thumb.jpg

post-71647-143138383268_thumb.jpg

post-71647-14313838329_thumb.jpg

Edited by j49plymouth
add picture (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest j49plymouth

Pulled head, gasket leaking due to improper torque.:eek: 3 cylinders washed out, rest have heavy oil, :mad:looks like a ring job. Oh well, gives me something to do.:D

Guest j49plymouth

on the cars,no, wish they were mine though.

Clum switch, there are two pieces that for the outer cover, one is for the indexing and has a position for no contact (off), I used an epoxy mix to secure the two into one, this gave me the support for the broken piece. I let it dry (clamped), then reassembled. switch now works as inteneded.

Edited by j49plymouth (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest j49plymouth

Update to engine, found that the cylender bores have no less than .012 taper, have to pull engine to get it rebored .020 over. Also noted that whomever did work on engine prior was very poor :mad: in thier workmanship as I found rod bearings were not torqued properly, some were hand tight, others I had to use a 12 inch breaker bar to get loose:eek:. will most likely find more trouble when I pull the motor and start on the crankshaft.:(

Guest j49plymouth

Just an update to the project at hand, engine removed, partially torn down and all seems well with the bearings :)(my biggist worry) tomorrow I will finish to the bare block and get it ready to be sent out. the only problem at hand now is the pistons, will need at least 20 over most likely 30 over. It now has standard pistons but #1 has .018 taper:eek:. I am checking to see if the 201 pistons will work in the 190.

post-71647-143138416907_thumb.jpg

post-71647-14313841693_thumb.jpg

post-71647-143138416953_thumb.jpg

post-71647-143138416975_thumb.jpg

Edited by j49plymouth (see edit history)

• 4 weeks later...
Guest j49plymouth

The 201 pistons will work, just a little machining on the rods, engine at shop being pored .030 over and head ecked to true. I hope to get it back this week, and can start the rebuild.:D

Guest martylum

Hi Bill-You and I have talked but I've not seen your car. As you know I too have a CK and had the engine rebuilt. The bearings are babbit and, if you have the crank ground, will need to be rebabbited. Before you get into all that, it might be wise to have the engine block sonic tested to make sure the water jackets have not rusted into the cylinder walls or the valve seats too far to remachine. The water passages in these old engines rusted pretty vigorously because many people did not use antirust additives with the alcohol antifreeze. Mine was not a problem but the 29 Desoto engine I was involved in rebuilding was.

Marty Lum