1979 Riv how to replace door glass?

Pete Phillips

I picked up a 79,000-mile 1979 Riviera this week, eight blocks from my garage, running, driving, for well under $1000. It needs the driver's door glass replaced, and I have located one in a local junkyard, but after spending 3 frustrating hours trying to get it out of the junkyard car, it has defeated me and I cannot figure out how to remove it. Tt has some wide plastic knobs near the bottom that prevent it from coming up through the door opening, and three of the knobs seem to be riveted through holes in the glass, and there's no way you can get to them to undo the brads at one end. Keep in mind this is a salvage yard car with no battery, window is all the way up, and the closest electrical outlet is about 1/4 mile away. How to get the )(!!@!*= window out?? Any hints or ideas?

I don't particularly like these cars--too much plastic in them--but I could not pass up the bargain and it runs beautifully. I plan to fix what's wrong with it and then sell it, but this window replacement has got me defeated so far.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

post-32059-143138381944_thumb.jpg

post-32059-143138381958_thumb.jpg

Pete,

Good find!!

I've never taken a window out, but I might pass this hint along to you. Take the 12V lithium battery from your cordless drill to the yard with you. Then find the hot wire and the ground wire going to the switch to raise and lower the window.

One thing to note: When Buick made the outside rear view mirror an intergal part of the outer window sweep molding on the Riviera, they etched a black triangle in the lower front of the glass to hide the mounting mechanism for the mirror (they don't come off, I've tried.) If I'm correct, that would be all Rivieras '80 - '85. Your other option could be an Eldorado or a Toronado from the those years. Cadillac and Olds still bolted their mirrors to the door skin.

Jayson and/or Nathaniel have parted out these cars and can probably handle your tech question.

Ed

I presume that the 1979 is the same as my 1984. Here are some photos from the 1984 Fisher Body Service Manual that explain the process. As previously mentioned, You are going to need to use a jump box, drill battery, or some other similar power source to lower the window about 1/2 way down to remove it.

post-47089-143138388879_thumb.jpg

post-47089-143138388895_thumb.jpg

post-47089-143138388909_thumb.jpg

post-47089-143138388923_thumb.jpg

post-47089-143138388937_thumb.jpg

Follow the service manual as it says it is hard to do i would recommend having someone with you. Take the window off the track and have someone hold it while you drill out the rivits BE CAREFUL while drilling out the rivits you can have someone move the window up and down to gain access to all the window stoppers. If the car has bolts holding on the stoppers then the window has been replaced at some point. I have parted out 4 79-85 Riviers and this my friend is a tuffy.

Since you will be away from a power source, maybe the price of the whole door would warrant buying it and taking it apart after you get it home?? Or maybe just remove the door and drag it over to the "shed" at the yard.