PAINT COLOR

Guest greg walsh

Guest greg walsh

I have a 35 Buick 41 series that was originally black. It's an older restoration done in a green that could've been available for that year. It needs a new paint job soon. My wife likes the green but I'm leaning more toward the original black. Would it be more valuable in it's original color? Any suggestions will be appreciated.Thanks.

I have a 35 Buick 41 series that was originally black. It's an older restoration done in a green that could've been available for that year. It needs a new paint job soon. My wife likes the green but I'm leaning more toward the original black. Would it be more valuable in it's original color? Any suggestions will be appreciated.Thanks.

O.K....just my opinion...Returning it to the original color would make it worth more later, but go with your desired color if you are going to keep it and enjoy it for a while. A lot of folks here feel that keeping it original is the way to go. "As it left the factory" is the preferred way if it will be shown at car shows for points. That is the goal of most restorations. However, as I have said, if you like it another color and will enjoy it more, it's only paint and the future caretaker of the car can put it back to original colors again.

I don't think painting it the exact color specified on the body tag adds much value, as long as the color you select was also available that year. If you like the green, go with green.

And as others have and will point out, it's a part-time job keeping up with a black car. My '41 Buick was originally black with a silver top, but I'm still not convinced I want the work involved with maintaining a black car. Nothing looks better when it's clean and perfect, but it goes downhill awfully fast.

Do what makes you happiest and don't worry about value, that's my motto.

It's best to stick to a paint color that was available that year. A lot of lazy painters pick something that looks close, out of a modern color chart but it never looks quite right.

Changing color does not reduce the value of a car and might improve it. As long as you pick something appropriate.

The exception would be a car with good original paint. It would be more valuable if carefully cleaned and waxed. Less valuable if repainted, no matter what color.

Or possibly an unusual, one of a kind car such as an original Indy 500 Pace Car or the like.

Original paint formulas are available from all leading paint companies. Your local paint store or body shop supply, can get the formula from the home office and mix up all you need. You will have to find the number or name of the color you want but there are web sites for that.

Guest Jim_Edwards

Black is a terrible color to paint any car! Anyone who has ever had one can attest to that. Do a full detailing inside and out and fifteen minutes later anything floating in the air will be settling on it to the point of being noticeable.

Paint that car with any color that might have been available for the year. Just don't do it with single stage urethane or Base coat/Clear Coat paint. It just won't look right, too much gloss. Acrylic Lacquer toned down a bit will look right for the period of the automobile.

Jim

Guest billybird
Black is a terrible color to paint any car! Anyone who has ever had one can attest to that. Do a full detailing inside and out and fifteen minutes later anything floating in the air will be settling on it to the point of being noticeable.

Paint that car with any color that might have been available for the year. Just don't do it with single stage urethane or Base coat/Clear Coat paint. It just won't look right, too much gloss. Acrylic Lacquer toned down a bit will look right for the period of the automobile.

Jim

Jim: I agree for the most part with you. However, owning a black show car I can say nothing looks better than black. The work it takes to keep a black car razor sharp has prompted me to say I will never paint another show car black. Some colors are just as "bad" in my opinion { navy blue } Greg: I would paint the car the original color if total originality is important to you. Some marque clubs deduct if the paint does not match the data plate. If you're not interested in that, I would still paint it a color available for that year and model. Thats just my opinion.

Guest 38cadillacjack

i agree about black, a lot of work,and agree paint it to suit you, but something that was available.now having said that,i own 4 black cars! bad thing is my 56 premiere is going to paint soon. was black gonna be black,my wife loves black!

Guest billybird
i agree about black, a lot of work,and agree paint it to suit you, but something that was available.now having said that,i own 4 black cars! bad thing is my 56 premiere is going to paint soon. was black gonna be black,my wife loves black!

38cadillacjack: I feel like I do when someone tells me they are going to have a baby. I'm so happy for you, but glad it's not me!