I am fairly new to this so I need some advice from anybody that has been around awhile.I am looking for 1937 plates for my 37 plymouth.Does anybody here have a pair for sale? I spotted a pair on ebay.They have some stains, scratches but look pretty decent.Can you have plates repainted,without the state putting you in jail.Does anybody have a ballpark figure on what these go for? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Lew

Edited by leftwing302 (see edit history)

IN some jurisdictions you can use them as YOM plates and they can be the only plates on your car ... the trick there is to find a set where the number on the plate is still available... if it is and they are in decent shape that ads to the value significantly. as for repaints again seems to be jurisdiction or even Person specififc... In Ontario I had a pair restored no problem and had them on my car ... but have also had people tell me it couldn`t be done

FYI

Here in N.C. you can use YOM plates on your classic or antique car as long as it has insurance.We don't have to register the car as long as it is only used for parades,cruise days,car shows etc.We have a transporter plate that we keep in the car when used.Also there is no problem with condition of original plate,but restored to new condition is most desireable.There are people out there who collect and restore vintage plates to sell.Price varies according to year and rarity.The older the plate,the more expensive.I paid $ 100 for a 1936 N.C. plate restored like new.These plates often show up on ebay and local flea markets,junk stores,thrift stores,yard sales,estate sales,auctions.Hope this helps.Best regards,Marc

How well I know! Most of them are young guys and don't know much about the classic and antique cars.Around here,they pay very little attention to us old farts driving real cars.If in a very rare occasion they pull us over,they just want to look at the car and admire it and talk about it.Best regards,Marc

Back in my other life my shop was on a main drag in our little town and I would find myself at all hours of the night working on my projects. The law would sometimes be checking on the late night activity (which is a good thing) and the question of legality of some cars was a topic of disscussion. And as you stated these guys are young and just dont know.

It was pretty much agreed that we could drive what ever we wanted as long as we were not driving stupid.