Custom bodied Packards

Dave Mitchell

The car is obviously in Europe, and perhaps one reason for the large trunk is that there were a lot of long distances between towns and villages while driving the car from country to country or even from one end of a county to the other. If you look at a lot of period photographs in the 1926-36 era taken of cars in Europe just about all of them have large trunks not only at the back but mounted in the front fenders as well. Isotta Fraschini and Hispano Suiza especially.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/29/2020 at 9:49 AM, Walt G said:

The car is obviously in Europe, and perhaps one reason for the large trunk is that there were a lot of long distances between towns and villages while driving the car from country to country or even from one end of a county to the other. If you look at a lot of period photographs in the 1926-36 era taken of cars in Europe just about all of them have large trunks not only at the back but mounted in the front fenders as well. Isotta Fraschini and Hispano Suiza especially.

Interesting, dismissing the license plate on that 1932 Super Eight, I was going to say "obviously the Packard plant on East Grand Blvd." I'm guessing that the car has just re-entered the U.S., and will agree with your trunk comments.

3 hours ago, md murray said:

Thanks for reviving a great thread! this is great. -So were plated wires available from Packard or was that something that the coachbuilders did to spruce them up?

diet 2.png

diet.png

Plated wheels was an option from the factory.

• Like 2

On 11/28/2020 at 4:19 PM, edinmass said:

Imagine showing up with that car at Pebble, with the trunk on it?

I thought it was a period correct car carrier or kids. It's better than the goat in a bag hanging on the door 😃

• 2 months later...
On 6/6/2016 at 9:56 PM, roadster said:

Folks, Dick Saunders 1936 Packard Twelve Boattail Speedster 904080 is back out on the auction block.  Mecum Monterey August 2016.  Dick Saunders I am sure he is enjoying this next chapter of his "Saunders Special."  As many have of you have heard, Dick was a Pioneer of Hotrod Packards.  Many people got caught up in a flat head v8 while Dick was tinker with the Packard Twelves.  Some of his V-12 creations were paired with twin superchargers; and even a couple of transmissions joined together. 

image.jpeg

From the 1956 Trend Book "Classic Cars and Specials".

DickSaundersPackard.jpg

I sat through an hour long seminar that a local car club hosted on that very car and the story kept me on the edge of my seat! It's quite a tale and there is substantial evidence to suggest that the car that failed to sell at Mecum and later got donated to a major museum is in fact the car that Mr. Saunders built in his backyard. 

Edited by md murray (see edit history)
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, md murray said:

Speaking of frankenstein Packards has anybody seen the Lebaron super eight converted to a hunting car that sold at Hershey a few yrs ago? Rumor has it that the car was treated to a very nice restoration?

PACK.jpg

I saw photos of it a while back.......the woodwork replacement looked fantastic. It was a LeBaron Town Car.......cut down very early. It was on my wish list.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, edinmass said:

I saw photos of it a while back.......the woodwork replacement looked fantastic. It was a LeBaron Town Car.......cut down very early. It was on my wish list.

It was a legit car bodied prewar by Woods & Sons.   Actually very cool.

5 hours ago, md murray said:

I sat through an hour long seminar that a local car club hosted on that very car and the story kept me on the edge of my seat! It's quite a tale and there is substantial evidence to suggest that the car that failed to sell at Mecum and later got donated to a major museum is in fact the car that Mr. Saunders built in his backyard. 

comparison.jpg

52 minutes ago, alsancle said:

It was a legit car bodied prewar by Woods & Sons.   Actually very cool.

Can that possibly be F.R. Wood of Brooklyn, N.Y. ? This off the top of my head not looking anything up.  They were not around in 1918 but possibly later?  Need to find the time to look this up.

15 minutes ago, Walt G said:

Can that possibly be F.R. Wood of Brooklyn, N.Y. ? This off the top of my head not looking anything up.  They were not around in 1918 but possibly later?  Need to find the time to look this up.

Walt,  I need to look the name up to confirm.  They were located in NY and did station wagon conversions in the late 30s and into the 40s.

If that is the Packard conversion Tom sold a couple years ago it had a body tag on it, was a pro job, NY but I thought the name was different.  It came out of a shop here in CT, Tom suggested Mary and I "help" him retrieve it on I believe the coldest day on record that year.  A very cool car but I think it had a specific purpose other than hunting.  I have pics but not on this phone.

20 hours ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

If that is the Packard conversion Tom sold a couple years ago it had a body tag on it, was a pro job, NY but I thought the name was different.  It came out of a shop here in CT, Tom suggested Mary and I "help" him retrieve it on I believe the coldest day on record that year.  A very cool car but I think it had a specific purpose other than hunting.  I have pics but not on this phone.

It was McAvoy & Sons out of New Rochelle, NY. It would be cool if they made a copy of that label and put it on the new wood. The vehicle was used to transport hunting dogs. There were little tether rings spaced out running the length of the body interior.

mc.jpg

pack2.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 years later...

I pulled this one of the "Prewar Photos" thread. It seems a dozen or so photos get tossed on that thread per day, so it's super easy to get overwhelmed when trying to ask (and get answers to) a specific photo.

This photo from 1932 shows FOUR individual customs. I'm very confused as to the car hiding behind the palm tree. It appears to have a rear-hinged rear door, and based on the top it appears to be a sport sedan. Can anyone help identify exactly what it is? 

The only sport sedan that comes close to this is the Waterhouse, but it has front-hinged rear doors.

1932BerryMotorCoPackard.jpg.713e7a44d29ea75e6a4bfd3e447dc2f1.jpg

1932BerryMotorCoPackard.jpg2.713e7a44d29ea75e6a4bfd3e447dc2f1.jpg

• Like 2

On 10/25/2023 at 9:56 AM, West Peterson said:

I pulled this one of the "Prewar Photos" thread. It seems a dozen or so photos get tossed on that thread per day, so it's super easy to get overwhelmed when trying to ask (and get answers to) a specific photo.

This photo from 1932 shows FOUR individual customs. I'm very confused as to the car hiding behind the palm tree. It appears to have a rear-hinged rear door, and based on the top it appears to be a sport sedan. Can anyone help identify exactly what it is? 

The only sport sedan that comes close to this is the Waterhouse, but it has front-hinged rear doors.

1932BerryMotorCoPackard.jpg.713e7a44d29ea75e6a4bfd3e447dc2f1.jpg

1932BerryMotorCoPackard.jpg2.713e7a44d29ea75e6a4bfd3e447dc2f1.jpg

West,  I believe that it is factory style 4005 "Sport Sedan" with body "Custom by Packard".

• 4 weeks later...