Another Dusenberg question

HarryJ

In New Haven Connecticut was a long established well known  automobile machine shop called Nizen Motor Machine or Nizen's .I knew the forman well and was as well the babbitt bearing guy,who got started at Federal Mogul in 1938! 

They were the local antique engine rebuilder and could rebuild anything .

There was a Duesenberg engine there on a back bench among clutter for years and years..as almost a hidden show piece for some guys to see when getting a nickel tour pending some major expensive motor rebuilding.

By the late 80s into the 90's the old man pooped out and I believe there were 2 sons to take it over..Due to many private and personal problems the place sorta was eventually run into the ground ,it's reputation washed up and it closed up..

I wonder about where THAT engine went? I think it was of those jobs where the owner croaked or left the country ,(wink wink) and never was inquired about again.

The McGowan brothers and old Jim Hoe may have known it was there ,but maybe not?

Edited by Flivverking (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Nizen machine is alive and well and operating out of Bethlehem, Ct. they recently did all the engine machine work on my Cord. Next time I talk to Pete Nizen, I’ll ask him about the dusenberg engine. Reminds me of another story I heard about Pratt and Whitney aircraft in East Hartford Ct. the story I heard is that they had  two dusenberg engines running some type of turbins during World War Two.  I don’t know the accuracy of that story.

1 hour ago, Shipping reccomendations said:

Nizen machine is alive and well and operating out of Bethlehem, Ct. they recently did all the engine machine work on my Cord. Next time I talk to Pete Nizen, I’ll ask him about the dusenberg engine. Reminds me of another story I heard about Pratt and Whitney aircraft in East Hartford Ct. the story I heard is that they had  two dusenberg engines running some type of turbins during World War Two.  I don’t know the accuracy of that story.

It was two V-16 Cadillac engines, used for testing large props. They used it for some kind of vibration and balance test. They were kept up into the 80’s. Guess who got one? 🤔