Attention Dave Shipman

Jim65Riv

Jim,

Kevin is right on...heavier suspension included, FE3 was part of the Riviera "Grand Touring" package (Y56) for this generation Riv which also included 15" aluminum wheels, fast-ratio power steering, and p215/65R Eagle GT+4 blackwall tires.

Ship & Kevin; O.K. - my car doesn't have Y56 - Grand Touring Package. The dashboard had a dynaride emblem, the window sticker say dynaride and the RPO code is FE1. The steering system just imploded - pump, lines, rack, you name it - it all started leaking and I lost all power assist.

The shop ordered a FE1 steering rack, and it came up 3 inches short. They thought that maybe the box was mis-labeled so they ordered another one. The second one was 3 inches short. Through investigation they learned that the FE3 rack is three inches longer than the FE1, so my car had the FE3 rack. He made the FE1 rack work with 1.5 inch longer tie rod ends. As my car was built about 85% through the 1993 model year, I suspect that Buick was emptying the parts bin, which is how I got a FE3 rack with the FE1 suspension. Does that make sense to you?

Jim,

I would agree with your conclusion that Buick most likely threw all kinds of parts into the last 15% of the seventh generation Rivs. Sorry to hear about you loosing the steering system. Just as I pulled in the driveway returning home from the ROA Harrisburg meet I lost my gas tank, cam position sensor magnet, and the water pump went.

As of late I've been buying all kinds of spare parts for my 92. Rock Auto has been offering closeout prices on alot of mechanicals. Picked up full brake hardware, all the different sensors, right/left axles, struts & mounts, etc. I probably should buy a steering rack & hardware too just in case. Diane (wife) says I could probably build another Riv with all the stuff I have stored in the basement.

I even had to have the gas filler tube replaced due to rust-out. My mechanic tells me that this problem is very common on GM products, especially 2000 & newer LeSabre & Park Avenue models. I had the front struts replaced - when the original ones were removed, the mechanic turned them over and over - the shaft fell with a "clunk" in both directions - no dampening left at all. The car just turned 111,111 miles.

Jim,

It is still 17 years old, regardless of mileage. Can't expect them to last forever!:D

One advantage of using a Buick dealer for parts is the ability to order parts by the VIN number, you get what the car left the factory with. Let's hope the Riviera is done breaking for a while!

Tim

Tim, Most parts counter guys won't take the time to look up anything for this vintage. Their eyes glaze over and they say "DISCOUNTINUED!". I used to have a contact at Brookdale Buick who was great, but he is out of the business.

Nathaniel, thanks but my tank is fine - just the filler tube had rusted. Got a replacement and all is o.k.