1955 Buick Century - fiberglas

progoofoff

1955 Buick Century Fiberglas story

Going thru the contents from the glove box for the 3rd time,

I found a 1973 tag receipt. The tile was dated Nov. 1955.

The name on the title was Thomas O Benson, Flint MI. He had traded a 1954 Buick in on it.

However, the tag receipt showed an address of Rte 2 Carr Rd, Posen, MI.

I googled Carr Rd, Posen, MI and a local government web site came up

with all residents`s addresses and phone numbers on Carr Rd.

Going thru the list, I find a Mr Gerald Carr. Now, I`m thinking, if his name is Carr

and he lives on Carr Rd, he`s been there a long time and going to have known ole Tom.

I had heard he had expired in the late 70s or early 80s.

So, I call him and he gives me the story. I got lucky...

Ole Tom had bought the farm next to him and moved to Posen from Flint in the sixties.

Tom was a TV technician and as I suspected, a bachelor.

Gerald tells the story of how Tom had taken the car apart one panel at a time and made the fiberglas castings.

I asked if he was aware of the engine / transmission change. He was aware and could still see the blue`59 still sitting in the woods from his back porch.

This confirms not only the engine change but the blue front bench seat.

I think I know the reason for the extra gas tank but I asked anyway. Gerald laughed and before he could answer, I said to take advantage of cheap gas when there were gas wars.He finally stopped laughing and said....you got it.

Gerald gave me the telephone of Tom`s cousin.

I talked with him and not much more was learned other than Tom had built a helicopter but never got it in the air. Also, has a sister who inherited the farm and is still alive and he would talk to her and see if she had any pictures of the car.

Ole Tom must have been a Cod.

Conclusion:

Sorta like buying a lottery ticket and hoping to win but the majority of the time, you don`t.

It`s still one of a kind and would make a very unique car.

Anyone have an interest?

Well regardless of its outcome that was a neat story. The work it must have taken to replicate all the panels and work them into fiberglass is an awesome feat. He must have been quite good with his hands and surely a unique individual....

Thanks for letting us know....eventually :P

So what are your plans...you seem to indicate that you are willing to part ways with this one.

That was some pretty good detective work there "cod". and a great story this whole thing has been. I'm still not understanding why exactly he fiberglassed it though. Did anyone you spoke with mention that he ever intended to race it. That was my first thoughts on the car, that it was a dragster or race car of some sort. If it wasn't it should be. Sure would like to know how much less than a standard Century it weighs. Do you have any truck scales near you that we could load it up and take to have it weighed.

It is quite the story, that's for sure! Pretty amazing the trouble this guy went through to get better gas mileage, like remaking his car! I am more partial to the "corn likker" carrier tank theory..

The guy must have been a wizard with fiberglass, since it sounds like it was pretty much carbon copy of an steel body 55. Pretty crazy!

Guest South_paw

Weird, so he went through all this trouble to save weight but then installs a second gas tank. If it's a twenty gallon tank and he filled it thats roughly an extra 200 lb. he would be carrying around. Counterproductive don't ya think :D

• 1 year later...