Twilight Sentinel Headlight Switch

Guest TheShadow87

Guest TheShadow87

Hello,

I am very close to purchasing a replacement headlight switch module which has the twilight sentinel feature. Mine is an 1989 with a regular module. Will this possible new module: A.) work B.) have the sentinel feature, which is what I dream of a lot.

Thanks.

Guest TheShadow87

Darn, that's disappointing. What mechanism controls the twilight sentinel, on cars that have that feature? I see the light during the "Show" and also the car leveling, but I've never seen that feature either. Same deal?

The riviera (which your switch came from) had the TS. I think the peeps at Buick just hadn't quite figured out how to use the TS with the pop-up headlights. They finally figured that out in '91.

I'm not sure what all that is on the panel, but my guess is the cluster was used in other cars that had that all those features. People that have or had those cars are probably wondering what the "See Diagnostic Center" light means. :D

Guest TheShadow87

Ahhhh, ok! That makes me feel better knowing there's not a feature I'm missing out on. Now I know why it wasn't in the instruction manual. Is it the same for the "car leveling"? Also, the TS switch will fit properly in place of a regular one?

Just so you are aware, the Riviera used the same cluster in 88/89, and did have auto level, thus the need for the indicator even though this feature was not implemented on the Reatta. That it still lights during the show is just a function of the program in the BCM.

Likewise, the "See Diagnostic Center" would have been used in the Riviera as it also had the CRT. No other models of car used this cluster, as the other E-platform models all had different clusters altogether (Toronado, Bonneville, Eldorado were each unique to themselves).

There should likely be a way to add twilight sentinel to the 88/89, but since I have a 91 I've not researched what would be needed to do this. The basic hardware (photocell) is already in place, so may just need a module or perhaps a relay/diode setup of some sort. I'll guess someone else has already looked at this and may chime in here.

KDirk

Padgett,

I hear you on not overworking the headlamp motors (mine are rebuilt so good for a long time to come - I hope) but I guess I got spoiled with the Cadillac having twilight sentinel, as I like to use it and not worry about turning the lamps on manually. This also saves wear on the headlamp switch which is more likely to wear out than rebuilt headlamp motors.

That said, I have stopped using the twilight sentinel on the Reatta right now since it is too sensitive, and the lamps will sometimes come on when there is still plenty of daylight. I am suspecting a failing photocell, and when I get that issue fixed I will start using the auto headlamps again. Bottom line, I personally like the feature - when it works correctly.

KDirk

• 3 months later...
it will work as a headlight switch, I have one in mine. But the Twilight Sentinel will not work. Unfortunately.

Does that mean the fog lights are inoperable if this switch is used?

I opened mine up to repair the interior light sliding switch and parts fell out. I'm going to try and re-assemble, but who knows... I might end up w/ the Riviera switch I saw at the yard, but I'd still like to use the fogs when needed. Anyone know?

I opened mine up to repair the interior light sliding switch and parts fell out. I'm going to try and re-assemble, but who knows... I might end up w/ the Riviera switch I saw at the yard, but I'd still like to use the fogs when needed. Anyone know?

I have the TS switch from a Riviera on my '89, and there is a seperate switch for the fog lights underneath the tape deck on the '89s. But the TS switch in the '90 Riviera would render the fogs in the '90 Reatta unusable. You might could stick a toggle switch in somewhere though. Or just send all the parts to Jim, maybe he can fix it.

I would grab the switch in the Riviera while the car is still there. Is it a T/S version? Or headlights-only? Either way, use it until the '90 switch gets repaired.

Thanks all. The Riv switch has the TS slider control. It is in really good shape, visually, so it would look nicer.

I read the other linked thread. I missed that in my search somehow. I was thinking about re-connecting the wires to the fogs to the on/off portion of the TS slider, if I needed that switch. I can't get the u pull it yard to answer the phone to ask how much it will put me back though.

With Jim's help, I've gotten mine back together. I can't test it until I get my car back from the shop.

... I can't get the u pull it yard to answer the phone to ask how much it will put me back though...

Here in California they charge $12 for a headlight switch + nearly 10% sales tax + $3 'environmental fee'. So in NC, it would probably be about $5.

Here in California they charge $12 for a headlight switch + nearly 10% sales tax + $3 'environmental fee'. So in NC, it would probably be about $5.

LOL

...hope you are right, but our taxes are nearly 8%. Don't have the environmental fee though, unless it changes by tomorrow. That isn't out of the question either, as the ICM/coil I bought yesterday was twice what it was a month ago...from $15 to $30. No explanation why either.

Guest Richard D

In order to not over exercise my headlight open/close system when it rains here in S. Florida I just turn on the fog lights. That way they come on with all the other exterior lights the law requires and turn off with the ignition switch. Plenty bright to let other cars see me in the rain and the headlights don't open and close every time I get in or get out of the car. Plus it is getting close to the month when it rains everyday at 2:00pm.

Richard

• 3 weeks later...
Guest TheCapnVideo

love the "environmental Fee" When what you are doing is taking something OUT of the dump you should be rewarded not taxed!