Not A Buick but very nice....

cobravii

WORLD'S RAREST CAR

This is the car that in 1954 could have "killed" the Corvette.....so, Chevrolet, being GMs big sales and profit Division, campaigned to GM to "kill" this car.

When Chevy was coming out with its 6-cyl. sports car with its 2-speed "Powerglide" transmission and side curtains here was a sports car from Olds with a big old V-8 and power windows.

So, GM said no to Oldsmobile on building this car............

The world's rarest automobile. A 1954 concept old's Rocket F88 - the only one in existence. (read the story below) John S. Hendricks, (Discovery Communications founder) paid in excess of 3 million to acquire.

1954 Oldsmobile F-88 Convertible Concept Car

After spending decades as a collection of parts stuffed into wooden crates – the F-88 was reassembled.

In 1954 – the F-88 was a Motorama “Dream Car” and was one of only two – or an unconfirmed possible three ever created. The F-88 seen here is literally the only car left of its kind – and was sold to John and Maureen Hendricks at the prestigious Barrett-Jackson Auto Auction in Scottsdale, Arizona for an unbelievable $3,240,000. This acquisition made automotive history and is the “cornerstone” of the Gateway Colorado Automobile Museum in its own special room in a rotating display worthy of the F-88!

post-54696-14313837889_thumb.jpg

post-54696-143138378892_thumb.jpg

post-54696-143138378894_thumb.jpg

post-54696-143138378896_thumb.jpg

post-54696-143138378898_thumb.jpg

post-54696-1431383789_thumb.jpg

post-54696-143138378902_thumb.jpg

post-54696-143138378903_thumb.jpg

post-54696-143138378905_thumb.jpg

Guest my3buicks

Nice, but since this is the Buick forum, we will throw the Olds's sister at you. Makes the Olds look kind of ordinary, doesn't it? You can see the Olds cowering in the background as the Wildcat II shows it up.

post-30591-143138378907_thumb.jpg

Edited by my3buicks (see edit history)

In that time frame, almost EVERY General Motors car division had some sort of '54 Corvette-like car for the AutoRama. Chevy had their six cylinder, but others had to use their own V-8s instead. The side-draft carburetion was to give it a European feel as that's the way the similar cars in Europe were. The PowerGlide for convenience of the American drivers that didn't all want (or could successfully drive!) a manual trans. Of course, with the Chevy V-8 still one model year off, they had to use an enhanced Blue Flame Six.

Nice pictures!

I remember when the Olds went through the B-J Auction. It was quite a deal, at least reading about it. Plus the original blueprints for the car! A "behind the house" find whose value went balistic in the bidding war.

Enjoy!

NTX5467

I know that Cobraii had nothing to do with the "worlds rarest car" in the header, but how can a fiberglass bodied car be compared to the custom body vehicles prior to WWII?

LeBaron, Brewster, Derham, Fleetwood, Brunn, Willoughby, Judkins, Dietrich and many more smaller firms made complete custom bodies for premium vehicles that had V12 and V16 engines. Pierce Arrows production cars had cast aluminum cowls and rear sections that were works of art.

With all the choices of makes, body styles, and body builders of cars made from 1900 until now, how can anyone say this or that one is the rarest, most valuable, or most beautiful.

I guess that is why art museums have more than one picture.

Wait and see. Somebody will probably decide to build a twin of this OLDS F-88 (for a lot less than $3M) just the same as a BCA member is currently duplicating the WILDCAT II. :mad:

Al Mack

"500 Miles West of Flint"

"If the top don't drop, it's just another parts car!"

I know that Cobraii had nothing to do with the "worlds rarest car" in the header, but how can a fiberglass bodied car be compared to the custom body vehicles prior to WWII?

With all the choices of makes, body styles, and body builders of cars made from 1900 until now, how can anyone say this or that one is the rarest, most valuable, or most beautiful.

I agree, this is certainly not the only 1 of 1 that exists in the automotive world. So how can it possibly be considered "the most rare"? Especially if there were originally 2 or 3? The Packard Predictor was the only one built and still exists. That would be more rare. And again, it is not the only 1 of 1 in the world

Edited by LINC400 (see edit history)

Guest Dans 77 Limited

I like the Olds version ... looks (at least to me ) a lot better than the Vette. Having been able to drive a 53-54 (dont really remember which year ) Vette one time I was less than impressed. Having to wash and detail that same Vette for my boss with no roof on it can also be filed under "less than impressive" or fun for that matter. Anyway in my short test drive I found that I didnt like the Vette much. The shifter for the powerglide was almost under the front seat and it was kind of an awkward reach for it. Being a car with manual steering it had a HUGE steering wheel that made getting in and out of the car gracefully almost impossible. that same wheel was also a pain in the ass while driving as it tended to rub on your legs unless you put them flat on the floor and extended all the way out. At 5ft 11in tall with the Vettes limited leg room ..... that wasnt happening. The blue flame six was anemic. I honestly saw no reason to even want an early Vette , Im surprised they sold any of them. Of course I guess back then , just like today , the corvette was a great car for making up for what you were lacking in height or other areas but I didnt like them then (around 1986 when this happened ) and I dont like em now .

Dan

Guest Jim_Edwards

Bottom line is every GM Brand except Pontiac had a play off of the '53 Corvette at the '54 Autorama. Fisher Division actually made the bodies for all those takeoffs and Motorama '53 Corvette. All later body production of '53 and '54 Corvettes was done by Molded Fiber Glass Body Company of Ashtabula, Ohio.

It would still be nice to own one of those other brand prototype cars though, but probably a real good thing that Corvette was left as GM's only entry into that limited market.