26 Dodge bros filter..????

Guest rockerarm

Guest rockerarm

I recently purchased a complete 1926 Dodge brothers engine and trans. Mounted on the right front portion of the intake is an assembly I first thought was a air filter. It has a tag (United air cleaner).

Upon inspection I found that it is a vented metal cover over a spinning impeller, much like a crude supercharger. I see no efective method of air filtration. I'm guessing that as engine speed increases the air flow will increase the speed of the impeller......???

Here are a couple of pictures...

Does anyone have knowledge of these units. ?

Thanks, Will.... bluefury361@yahoo.com.

post-49187-143138377935_thumb.jpg

post-49187-143138377941_thumb.jpg

post-49187-143138377944_thumb.jpg

post-49187-143138377948_thumb.jpg

Yes, an aftermarket air cleaner where the impeller was designed to seperate the solids in the air flow with centrifugal force and eject them to through the outer casing rather than flow into the manifold and cylinders. How effective they were is anybodys guess, often found on tractors and the like which obviously moved through dirty/dusty environments at slow speed and were more prone to ingesting dirty air.

Guest rockerarm

That makes a lot of sense as this engine and trans had been been used to operate a drum winch in a sawmill back in the 40's, 50's and 60's.

Thanks for the information and insite.

post-49187-143138378171_thumb.jpg

Guest 1928Packard526

rockerarm —

The filter you have was most certainly used on Model L Lincolns as Steve suggested. Here is a snap of how it appears on my '29 Judkins coupe. The Lincoln version has no identifier plate as yours does, but is identical in construction.

Pete P.

post-50405-143138378174_thumb.jpg