1957buickjim

How to do a frame on restoration?

What CFM is the IR compressor?

Speaking of compressors, is there any hands-on experience here with smallish rotary air compressors? If I do finally purchase a compressor, I'd like one that won't destroy what's left of my hearing. Industrial-size rotary pumpers are becoming common and are rated much quieter than reciprocating piston compressors. Depending on your feedback, I may start a new thread on this.

Edited by Rob McDonald (see edit history)

Rob: I believe they make an easy chair compressor which is fully operational by remote from any sitting position and very easy on the ears as the compressor unit itself is usually located a safe and non-tempting distance from your living, T.V. or lounge area.

As for compressors being loud, it is the oil-less type compressor that are very loud. Oiled compressors are very quiet. CFM output of a compressor with a True Rated HP electric motor usually is in the 3.5-4.5 cfm capacity output per 1 horsepower of electric motor input and turning it.

Of course with this said, one would have to have a real electric motor such as a Baldor or the like which rates it's motors accurately. The compressor units you find at Sears and the big box stores have generally exaggerated H.P. and CFM ratings since the industry is self regulated resulting in outputs at least 1/3 less than is advertised.

I acquired last fall, and rebuilt this past winter an old Wayne compressor which has a true 5 horsepower Baldor motor turning it. It is attached to a 60 gallon tank. Fills to 150 and turns on again at 130. Takes 45 seconds to fill back up to 150. This calculates out to a 21.5 cfm output. The motor requires a 60 amp outlet and fuse since a true 5 horsepower motor will draw at start around 60-70 amps for a split second and then run at FLA of 26 running amp draw. In comparison a true 2 horsepower motor will draw FLA of 26 amps at start and 13 amps running wired at 230 volts so a 30 amp outlet is required.

Proof of concept:

Jim got his Senior award tonight AFTER driving his car from Troy Michigan.

Look at that smile! You can't fake that smile.

Well done buddy!

post-32260-143139079046_thumb.jpg

I owe a lot of thanks to all my pals on the forum who helped me get to this point! Mike (Buick5563) and Willie (OldTank), you guys are the best! Thanks for pushing and helping me get to this level. It is proof of the fact that you can do this over time, in your driveway, still having a driveable vehicle (most of the time, anyway) and restore your car! And Mike and Willie really helped me weather the storm and calm the seas when I was totally frustrated and ready to just give it up.Yes, it does take work and time as well as a need for getting it right (Buick Man - that's where you are totally invaluable!) to make this happen. I appreciate all of you who have given me the boost to keep pushing on, and working to get it right. Caballero2, BhigDog, and JohnD1956, again your comments and assitance on the details and helping me figure out the problems when I was running into them really was tremendous.

I would have never in a million years figured that I would get a Senior Gold Award at Nationals..for my driver. Drove it to Concord and now Old Bessie will be maiking the trip home with some new gold jewelry, which she absolutely deserves. Thank you to everybody who kept up with the posts and trevails of this thread.

Jim..

Buick people love driven cars in the point judging. Congratulations! Hope you and bro have a great summer with ol Bessy.

Dan

Great. Now, with this absolutely astonishing good news, which was a very pleasing cap to a great day, I just had to go and celebrate. So I broke down and purchased a nice cold pack of Hoegarden, built a fire on my patio pit last night and just dreamed about 57 Buicks.

Jim - You are the ... MAN !

I move that for now on, all board members should officially refer to Jim as ... "The Man" :cool:

jim,i was hopeing you would get something last night.i popped in when n clss was being called. congrats on your award jim and hope to see you in south bend.i forgot to give your towel back i used to lay across my kneewhen my brother and i stopped on the show field.take care of bessie,4 bufords from ct

Proof of concept:

Jim got his Senior award tonight AFTER driving his car from Troy Michigan.

Look at that smile! You can't fake that smile.

Well done buddy!

No one was more deserving of such an award! Great to meet you and Bob!, and to peek underneath Old Bessie. It's a shame that most people will never see that side of her...

wish i could have seen the underside of ole bessie but i would have never gotten up,take it easy,don aka 4 bufords from ct

Congrats Old Bessie, you was lookin just as purdy as the day you came off the showroom floor. Sorry I didn't get to spend more time with you and Bob but, just too many people, too little time. The car looked great and just goes to show that frame ons can indeed win a Senior.

Congrats Old Bessie, you was lookin just as purdy as the day you came off the showroom floor. Sorry I didn't get to spend more time with you and Bob but, just too many people, too little time. The car looked great and just goes to show that frame ons can indeed win a Senior.

Ahem, that's DRIVEN Gold/Senior Award...

Thanks everybody for the remarks. It was great to meet all of you in person finally! Bob and I are looking forward to going to South Bend next year...I won't need the extra motor and transmission that it seems I took with me to Charlotte. My brother and I truly enjoyed getting to know all of you and spending time with you guys. It was great fun. The forum breakfast was a blast..Nothing wrong with beer in a SPAM cup, I say! Heck, I might even have my brother converted from Mopar to Buicks in a couple of years..You never know!

What is the difference between a DRIVEN Gold/Senior and a Gold/Senior aside from the obvious? Are the standards different for one or the other?

No difference in judging or as far as the club is concerned. I just respect them more than the trailered version.

(nobody bring this post back when I trailer my convertible to Portland, please)

:D

(nobody bring this post back when I trailer my convertible to Portland, please)

:D

Noted......heheheheh

Ben,

I totally forgot to ask the story about Mt. Rushmore..save it for South Bend! Thanks for the kind words. It was a pleasure to meet you in Concord! Looking forward to seeing you in Indiana next year.