Digital Camera's, Canon?

msmazcol

Thank you Matt, I had read that recent run on the forum. If I'm not messed up here that Nikon you guys refer to is a SLR? That is a bit more than the ball and chain has in mind.

If I need lens changes I drag out the old Canon and use that stuff called film?

She has in mind just a touch better than a pocket point and shoot. This G11 and newer G12 may fit the bill.

Was hoping maybe someone had one.

Dear old Wayne really has made me feel like an un-welcome down here in the trenches.

Thats OK, Wayne, I've always been a leave me alone in my shop and just slip a meal under the door once in awhile guy.

Not lost at all down here, MS.

In fact this topic will stay visable much longer than on the main page of the forums. It would have moved down the General Forum very quickly, since we have on average 10 or more new posts per day on the GF!

Yes, the Nikon is more expensive, but personally, I'm tired of cheap cameras. I have had two Sony's go down on me. I'm expecting better service out of my new Nikon.

Staying by for more info on the Canon's!!:)

Wayne

msmazcol,

Yes, the D3000 is a digital SLR. I got spoiled with the digital SLR that I had from work, so when I retired I had to buy one. The truth is that almost any name brand digital camera you find on the market today is so far advanced from what they were a few years ago, it is difficult to go wrong.

I still have a 35mm SLR. The last time it was used was for my son's college photography class a year or two ago, where they were doing their own film developing. Before long, you probably will have difficulty finding anybody to even develop film. For the cost of a few rolls of film, you get virtually unlimited digital media. I can't imagine ever using my 35mm SLR again.

Personal opinion, with the automatic modes, the digital SLR can be used as a point and shoot. It also can be used for much more if so desired. I see it as a good long term investment.

I'm not a big camera buff, but last year for Christmas asked my wife for a Nikon SLR. I really was tired of getting a nice picture lined up, hitting the button, and 2 seconds later (and a messed up scene) the picture is taken. Such as, everyone clears out in front of that 1909 Gogomobile at Hershey, there's the shot, punch.......guy walks in front of me.....shoot.....

Now, click and I have a picture of exactly what I was looking at, wonderful.....

Extra money, yes, but the photographs you get are worth it.......

Guest Tarheel

I have a Canon EOSD50. It is a very advanced amateur, or even a carry around camera for a pro. Although I have not mastered all the different levels of capabilities, I get excellent results.

I chose this camera as a digital change from a Canon EOS SLR film camera, because I could use all the same lens, and I prefer a full size camera (it is a little large compared to many of the middle priced models.) I was familiar with the Canon EOS features and settings, so adapting was very easy. Canon provided excellent utility and photo enhancing and printing software along with the camera.

The Canon EOS60 has been introduced, so you might shop around for a good price :^)

Guest DagoRed
Wife is looking to upgrade her camera from a pocket point and shoot.

Anyone have a Canon G11 or G12?

Looking for input, thanks.

Don't give up on point & shoot and I'll tell you why. I have had an SLR camera hung around my neck since the Apollo Moon Mission days, first film 35mm SLR's to digital SLR's. Somewhere along the line, I picked up a point & shoot digital. I found myself taking the point & shoot to more places then I would ever take the SLR and I took more pictures - many more. The point & shoot goes in a pocket - ready for action. The SLR with its heavier and larger presence seems to ask 'don't forget the bag full of lenses and do you really need me today?' Taking more pictures more places gets you more really good pictures to make further use of.

Fast forward to today. I have upgraded my digital point & shoot camera 4 times and the digital SLR twice. I'm wondering why I bought the 2nd SLR as I take the point & shoot almost exclusively these days. The last vacation we took, the SLR stayed home. Each of us took a point & shoot, taking 2,400 shots in 9 days and a few HD videos too. I enlarged several of the shots to 20x24" prints (Sam's does a nice job) and they now hang in our house looking rather professional, I might add.

You get what you pay for no matter which format you choose. My 2 favorites are the Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 and the new Nikon CoolPix P7000 (it has a eye viewfinder as well as a screen - useful in brite sunlight). I own two Lumix point & shoots. No problems in 5 years of constant use.

So take it from a guy that has taken alot of pictures for a long time. I'm not talking about the point & shoots one buys at Target, just the higher end models. The spontanaity plus the capabilities of these higher end point & shoots will surprise you and give a tool you can use more often in more places.

Edited by DagoRed (see edit history)

Thanks Dagored, while most have been pointing me toward a digital SLR that is not the right choice for my Wife. She will not look at it as the fine piece of digital technology it is, simply another item at the bottom of the great basin (her purse). I'm looking for a better than toy point and shoot, with a decent zoom.

I hear you on the bag full of lenses, etc. I've got all that stuff too from the days when I took photos as an art.

Now it's a document the moment thing.

Thanks

• 3 months later...

To quote "Dagored", you get what you pay for! I'm a Canon SLR film believer guy, but purchased a cheep! point and shoot. It's fine for the time being and I like the fact that you can see and delete photos right away, if need be. Mind you I never had a problem with the film stuff but things don't focus liker they used to! (Not the camera!). I'll be purchasing the "Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7" just as soon as I can! The sales guy at London Drugs sold me on it! He said it would be the one he'd get for his parents (or Grandparents). It's the best bang for the buck you'll get. Check out "dpreview" for some online advice.

Guest Double M

Get the new Canon S95...

canon_s95.jpg

It is awesome. It goes completly manual if you like, has an amazing low light feature (I hardly ever use the flash) and it fits in your pocket. It is a little pricey for a digital, around $400+. I am not a casual Photograher. I take products shots for Print Ads in magazines and for websites as well. It takes pictures in 180 DPI!!! Which is unheard of in Digitals. Jpegs can be as hi as 10 meg each and they are huge. They can be printed out as an 11x17 right from the camera. It also takes 720dpi HD Video in Stereo... Here is a link to band I shot...

I will also add that I am a former employee of Canon and I am not really a fan, but when I needed a new camera, this one could not be denied. I did the research. It has dozens of good reviews. The battery lasts a long time and it has enuf features for me to geek out on forever. It easily takes great shots for the ameteur or pro. You also wont usually find it with the other Digitals, it is usually sold and displayed with the big Canon 35mm's because of its quality and price. better than G-series and it fits in your pocket!

These have been cut down to low res for the web, but the quailty is there...

197090_10150181703952316_755087315_8477046_4850821_n.jpg

199765_10150192982677316_755087315_8581432_7685647_n.jpg

I have several Canon digital cameras and have been happy with them and plant to buy another this Spring. Two of the contenders that are on my short list is he SX30IS a 35X zoom and SX230 HS a 14X zoom, since I have no interest in hauling a bag of lenses around anymore like I did when I did 35mm. Both have image stabilization which is a must to hand hold the long zooms or take low light photos with ut a flash.

The processing that goes on in the current digital cameras make even amateurs look good. I think you have to be either taking very specialized kinds of photos are extremely critical to justify a SLR any more.

Two sites that I highly recommend using to look at reviews of lots of cameras are Image Resource and DC Resource. I read them both most every week to see what is new.

I find I take many more pictures with a camera that is small enough to fit in my pocket or on my belt, because it is usually with me, one that I have to hang around my neck or on my shoulder gets taken only when I know I'm going to take pictures.

I made the decision back in the late Fall of 2008 to finally replace the Kodak Z760 Digital that was having problems powering on. I did a lot of research and although I really wanted a SLR type camera but the more that I thought about it I didn’t want to spend the high price for one. What I did come across was a Cannon Power Shot G10 which is a point/shoot first in full automatic mode and although you can’t just throw it in your pocket it’s not all that cumbersome to carry without much thought/concern. The best part of the camera is that it can function in SLR mode and accepts most Cannon SLR lens, but at the same time I’ve been so impressed with the pictures I get with the basic setup I’ve not splurged on another lens as yet. I personally am very happy with my choice and have not had any camera or battery issues since when I purchased it back in 2008. Just give anyone reading this a bit more to think on. Scott…

I have what I believe is a much earlier version of the G11, Canon A620. I have found it to be an excellent small camera. I use it mostly for club related photography. Since I take lots of pictures of our car shows one feature I would look for in any camera is an adjustable the LCD monitor. This makes it easy to take pictures from different elevations. This allows me to provide a variety viewpoints without having to climb up on something or kneeling down – the kneeling down part is easy, it’s the getting up part that’s hard - I find it gets rather tiresome having all the pictures taken from only eye level. The G11 or G12 has that feature. As Scott says, it is not small, but easily carried without much thought or concern. I have a small camera pouch that attaches to my belt that keeps handy, but out of the way.

So if the G11 or G12 is as similar to my A620 as I suspect I would recommend it.

Bob

South Florida Region AACA

Most of the photographs on our web site were taken with the Canon A620.

I have to agree with Double M. I had both a Canon G10 and G11. Both took excellent pictures for a point and shoot. But for a point and shoot both of them are rather bulky and heavy. You could not easily carry either in your pocket.

When the S95 came out I sold both of my G models and moved to the S95. The features and photo quality in the smaller S95 is also excellent. I take a lot of pictures for our clubs website, some with a high end Canon SLR buts most with the Canon S95, and for most shots (in which the lenses are of similar capability) the comparison of the S95 quality to the SLR quality is sometimes hard to believe the quality is so comparable.

• 6 months later...

I've used mid to lower priced Canon, Nikon and Olympus. I found all 3 to be quality products, excellent value, and yield good quality photos thru a wide range of conditions.

Before making a choice, I would want to be sure its operation and settings menu are intuitive enough that I could use it without having to constantly refer to the instruction book. My choice last time was the Nikon CoolPix for its ease of operation.

John

Guest Double M

The Canon S95.

A little pricey but a very excellent, easy to use, professional quality digital camera. I take lots of product shots for print and web and after doing lots of research, this won out. It also takes amazing pics with very little light, even without the flash, which works for the many bands I film and take pictures of in dark poorly lit bars and clubs.

Mine was great until I dropped it on the lawn and ran it over with the Lawn Mower. It still takes amazing pictures despite the damage.

I got tired of lugging around mine D80 DSLR which was bought mainly bcause of the shutter lag in the P&S. Now the P&S shutter lag is very minimal. I purchased recently a Sony HX9V. It has a 16X zoom, does 1080P video and also can do things like making a parnoramic shot simply by paning the camera. The camera does all the stiching of teh pictures together.

Go to the forums here if you want to drive yourself crazy. I use the forums as usually the cream of the crop rises to the top and I choose the one that best fits my needs.