Clutch equalizer

FLYER15015

For a 1940 Buick Ltd (90) I am looking for a "clutch equalizer" which is basically a bellcrank of cast iron that transfers motion from the clutch pedal rod to the rod that connects with the throwout lever. It is 3-3/4" long, about 1-5/8 in diameter on the ends, and has a zerk in the middle. It rides on a shaft that goes from the frame to a bracket that bolts to the bell housing.

There is a picture of it in "bob's" catalog on page 38, but no listing for this part, and according to bob, not enough call for it to make a reproduction. He stated that this part is only common to 39/40 big cars.

On mine the holes are "wallered out" to the point that it is scary. So i'm looking for a NOS or replacement part. My plan"b" is to braze a piece of steel tubing in the correct location, or just fabricate a new part from steel tubing and plate stock.

I have attached a picture of mine (in position), and i'm wondering for all you drivers out there, what condition yours is in ?

Any help would be appreciated.

Mike in Colorado

BCA#45728 :confused:

post-70733-14313837593_thumb.jpg

Hi, Mike. Check the parts book, or look at your original part more closely. Are you aware that there are small, two-piece "bearings" or "bushings" that fit inside each end of your equalizer shaft? These two-piece "shells" are held to the pivot balls with a dab of grease and the equalizer shaft is slipped on. Then, you pump more grease in through the zerk fitting. Are you sure all four of your little bearing shells are in place? If one or both are missing from either end of your equalizer shaft, you could be getting the impression that your shaft is bad (when it is not). John

Hi, Mike. Check the parts book, or look at your original part more closely. Are you aware that there are small, two-piece "bearings" or "bushings" that fit inside each end of your equalizer shaft? These two-piece "shells" are held to the pivot balls with a dab of grease and the equalizer shaft is slipped on. Then, you pump more grease in through the zerk fitting. Are you sure all four of your little bearing shells are in place? If one or both are missing from either end of your equalizer shaft, you could be getting the impression that your shaft is bad (when it is not). John

John,

After checking page 138 of my shop manual, I see there are several versions of "clutch linkage". Mine being a 90 series, I suspected there were 2 balls that the equalizer rode on.

My problem is that the holes in the 2 "levers" comming off the tube have the holes so elongated that i am afraid the rods will someday blow thru the casting. As for the "shells" and stuff, I have found a source for a rebuild kit, but as to the equalizer itself, that is goung to be tougher.

Any sources would be appreciated.

Best Regards,

Mike in Colorado

BCA# 45728

I've heard of folks who put wheel cylinder rubber cups over the ends, prior to assembly to the "balls" to help retain the grease. The dia of the ends is a bit over 1.625".

My problem is that the holes where the rods go on the 2 arms are "wallered" out.

Mike in Colorado

BCA# 45728

Mike, after your last post, I think I understand your problem better. If the holes in the two equalizer ARMS (that the linkage ends mount in) are egg-shaped....why not just weld the holes up and re-drill them fresh? You may also have to repair any wear that is evident on the linkage ends themselves. John

Jolly,

With 70 year old cast iron, with lord knows what chemistry, I would be afraid to touch this part with a torch. Plan "A" is to find a NOS part. Plan "B" is to weld up a replica from tube and plate. Plan"C" is to send this part to my investment casting foundry, digitize it, and cast a replica in 4140 steel, and sell them.

Bob's does not carry them for the 80/90 series cars as there does not seem to be a "Market" for them. Makes me wonder, with all the "big" Buicks out there what everybody else is doing about this problem, especially the "restorers".

More options would be considered.

Best Regards,

Mike in colorado

BCA# 45728

Robberbach,

I may have to do that after I inspect it, when I get her apart, however per my origional post, the holes in the arms, where the rods attach are the scary part, in that they are wearing through the cast iron arms.

It is steel against cast iron, whith no lube, and steel will win every time.

If I cannot find a NOS part, I wil fabricate a replacement from tube and plate steel.

Maybe I'll make several, and begin to sell them. How's yours ?

Mike

I have a used one from a 40 if you need one

Michael,

In looking @ your picture, shot from the top side, my question is which Buick model is this ? The master cylinder appears to be forward of the equalizer, where mine on the limited (90) is aft of the equalizer. My equalizer measures 3 3/4" long and is approx 1 5/8" in diameter @ the ends. Both ours seem to mount on the 2 balls (frame and bellhousing) and the "levers seem to be in the same location.

Do you know the condition of the holes where the rods attach, especially the rod that comes down from the brake pedal ?

On yours, the frame seems to be hollowed out to accept a longer tube, whereas on mine the frame is fully boxed, which is why mine is only a bit over 3" long.

Best Reards,

Mike Simpson

BCA# 45728

The Super part won't fit, Mike in CO. Save yourself and all of us a lot of time, and buy the reproduction Buick dealer parts book set (covers 1928-1941) I mentioned to you in one of my other posts. Otherwise, you're going to wind up buying a collection of Buick parts that don't fit your 90 series. John

Jolly,

I took your advice, and purchased a parts book this a.m. So now I can motor down to my local Buick dealer and order parts ? Good luck with that idea, ha.ha.

Re the clutch equalizer, it looks like I will pull this assembly down this winter, send it to my foundry, have it digitized, and see what a pattern, and castings would cost in say 4140 Ni,Cr,Mo steel. There must be enough 80/90 series cars left out there to warrant a good replacement part.

Best Regards,

Mike

BCA#45728

Nice going on ordering the parts book set, Mike. I bet you will send many hours thumbing through it this winter!!

You sound like an interesting fellow, given your background in engineering and metallurgy. Plus, anyone who might reproduce a hard-to-find old Buick part certainly will be appreciated by others in the hobby. Your questions have been good ones...please keep them coming. As you've already seen, the folks on this board have a great deal of helpful knowledge and experience that they're most willing to share. Happy Holidays to you and your family. Best, John

• 1 year later...

BTT

The "clutch equalizer" is part number 1308581 and is for the series 80/90, years '39/'40 only, and is found in section .806 of my Master Parts Book.

Still looking for a NOS part, or one I can Weld repair, and then swap out.

Thanks,

Mike in Colorado

Edited by FLYER15015 (see edit history)

Sopost-70733-143139152346_thumb.jpgO.K. So here is the offending part, which is cast in mild steel, not Iron as I suspected, soooooo....

That means it can be welded, which is what we did today. Welded up the 2 holes, in the arms solid. Tonight we will redrill them to fit the clevis pin for the clutch rod, and the rod comming down off the clutch pedal, both of which show a bit of wear, but nothing like the equalizer, which was very very close to breaking out. had probably 1/16" of material left in the boss.

Had this blown out, we would be stuck in whatever gear she was in at the time, and a "tow" home would have been the result, not to mention the safety factor for the "Baby" and others out on the road.

I strongly recommend you all check this often overlooked part on your cars ASAP.........

Best Regards,

Mike in Colorado