Sign in to follow this  
Jonny88

Your opinion Please Oldsmobile 88

Hello<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

<HR SIZE=1><!-- google_ad_section_start -->hello everybody, this is my first post on the website. I registered because of my interest in antique and classic cars. I am looking to buy a 1951 Oldsmobile standard 88. As far as I can tell from my conversation with the current owner and pictures, it runs well and is mostly complete. All the trim outside and in is complete except for very small items such as trunk lock cylinder, rear-view mirror glass, glove box key, powder coated bumper plates, Oldsmobile lettering over both globe emblems, windshield wipers, and original air filter pan. I do know that it is a 12 volt converted system but retains all of its other original equipment. The Hydra-matic transmission works well after the car warms up for a few minutes. Is there any pointers that would be good to know when I go and look at this 88 next week? The owner is asking $4000, please let me know what you guys think, thanks.

<TABLE id=ncode_imageresizer_warning_1 class=ncode_imageresizer_warning width=640><TBODY><TR><TD class=td1 width=20>wol_error.gif</TD><TD class=td2 unselectable="on">This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768 and weights 161KB.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>ef0076f3.jpg <TABLE id=ncode_imageresizer_warning_2 class=ncode_imageresizer_warning width=640><TBODY><TR><TD class=td1 width=20>wol_error.gif</TD><TD class=td2 unselectable="on">This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768 and weights 158KB.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>ed241c5c.jpg

<TABLE id=ncode_imageresizer_warning_3 class=ncode_imageresizer_warning width=640><TBODY><TR><TD class=td1 width=20>wol_error.gif</TD><TD class=td2 unselectable="on">This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768 and weights 175KB.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>03301a67.jpg

<TABLE id=ncode_imageresizer_warning_4 class=ncode_imageresizer_warning width=640><TBODY><TR><TD class=td1 width=20>wol_error.gif</TD><TD class=td2 unselectable="on">This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768 and weights 162KB.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>f82d94a2.jpg

<TABLE id=ncode_imageresizer_warning_5 class=ncode_imageresizer_warning width=640><TBODY><TR><TD class=td1 width=20>wol_error.gif</TD><TD class=td2 unselectable="on">This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768 and weights 193KB.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>afb72761.jpg

There may be different opinions, but I personally would feel I had done well if I paid 4K for that car. Looks very cool.

Brandon

I didn't think the '51s had exterior rearview mirrors, did they? Cool car for the price.

Looks like a nice car and well worth the price but if at all possible you should go look at the car and drive it to be sure you know the whole story.

How far away from where you are is the car? If it is too far for you to travel you might want to consider two options.

1.) Have a professional appraiser look at it for you and let you know what shape the car really is in and what a fair price is.

2.) Contact an AACA member in the area where the car is and have them look it over for you and send you a report and photos of the condition it is in.

Members here can help with information either way. Let us know. :)