62 Dynamic 88 4Door Sedan

Guest fatnsolo

Guest fatnsolo

Greetings all, new to the forum an just wanted to say hello. I am looking forward to beginning the restoration of my 1962 Dynamic 88 4 door, in pretty good shape, just needs a little TLC, picture is attached. Thanks, Stan

post-72098-143138374126_thumb.jpg

Welcome to the forum, and congratulations on your "new" car. Lots of good people who are knowledegeable about Oldsmobiles, and the vintage of your car.

I have a '62 Starfire Coupe and a '62 D88 Fiesta Wagon; the engine on the latter has been rebuilt and hopefully we'll have the car back on the road for spring.

My dad had a '62 Starfire Coupe, and I've always thought that this year for Oldsmobile was absolutely among the most attractive across all models and body styles; apparently the public thought so as well, as Olds finished 4th in sales in '62.

Guest Jim_Edwards
Welcome to the forum, and congratulations on your "new" car. Lots of good people who are knowledegeable about Oldsmobiles, and the vintage of your car.

I have a '62 Starfire Coupe and a '62 D88 Fiesta Wagon; the engine on the latter has been rebuilt and hopefully we'll have the car back on the road for spring.

My dad had a '62 Starfire Coupe, and I've always thought that this year for Oldsmobile was absolutely among the most attractive across all models and body styles; apparently the public thought so as well, as Olds finished 4th in sales in '62.

A big Ditto!

I'm partial but in my opinion the '62 Oldsmobiles are among the most beautiful cars ever built by any auto maker. An almost perfect example of luxury combined with performance and durability. Still a fine road car and really not that hard on fuel consumption when properly maintained. Ya gotta love 394's.

Stan you're going to love that car!

Jim

Guest fatnsolo

Oh, Love the Car!!! Rides and drives like a dream, not too bad in gas, round town I am gettin about 14 have not been on a road trip yet. Have not driven at night and been limited to where I go(mostly country roads) since I still have not gotten tail lights or turn signals working..... but hopefully tomorrow the weather will be a bit warmer and I can tackle the problem. I have put about a hundred miles on it and have absolutely fallen in love with the car.

Thanks, Stan :D:D:D:D:D

Regarding the gas mileage, the D88 wagon has a 2bbl 280 hp Rocket engine, and I was getting about 17 mpg on the highway; the Starfire, as you can imagine, is only getting about 11 mpg with the 4bbl 345 hp engine.

As for tail lights and turn signals, if you haven't done so already, check the brake switch down by the pedal to see if that is working properly (if at all); may just need adjusting/tightening. They're not too hard to come by. I am assuming the bulbs are working OK?

Checking into the turn signals, if your lever is really loose, chances are that the yoke inside the steering column right beneath the center ornament is cracked or broken; '62 was the final year they made these horseshoe-shaped yokes in some kind of "soft" metal; sorry, having a mental block on what it's called, but they are prone to crack over time. Again, may have to dig a little, but they can be found. Hopefully, the other tiny hardware associated with it is there as well; gotta check the shop manual out to see it all.

Guest fatnsolo

Thanks for the info, replaced the brake light switch, put in new bulbs and now have tail/stop lights but turn signals are a no go..... left still works but stuff in the column is broken. Have not had time to tear it down to see exactly what needs replacing but will soon. LOVE the 394, excellent power plus decent mileage........ have southern air system to install before summer, looking forward to traveling in her some this year........ any ideas on where to look for the replacement parts for turn signals??????

Thanks,

Stan:)

• 3 weeks later...
Guest fatnsolo
How does the transmission shift and perform? As you may have heard, those Roto-Hydramatics (aka Slim Jim) are somewhat trouble-prone and difficult to adjust for proper shifting.

Does fair, shifts onto second are a bit abrupt and seems to launch the car forward pretty well, high is a bit more gradual and not so noticeable but no apparent slipping. I am building a 1970 Olds 350 and TH200 4R to go in the car............ just a mild and a bit more dependable combination since it is going to be used for traveling.

Guest fatnsolo
How does the transmission shift and perform? As you may have heard, those Roto-Hydramatics (aka Slim Jim) are somewhat trouble-prone and difficult to adjust for proper shifting.

Rustyshepherd, my slim jim feels kind of like a cross between the older Buick Dynaflow and a th350........... seems to do pretty well, shifts from 1 to 2 are firm, from 2 to 3 not so much but does not seem to slip. I am replacing things on the car like brakes, fuel pump, water pump, carb rebuild..... mostly due to the car sitting for 5 or 6 years but nothing major. I have put on a few miles and does not burn any oil and has plenty of power. Is this car pretty dependable as a daily driver and for use on trips in stock form or should I be working towards modernizing the drive train?????

Stan

Is this car pretty dependable as a daily driver and for use on trips in stock form or should I be working towards modernizing the drive train?????Stan

As the owner of one, I would say they are very dependable. The biggest problem that I have had is vapor lock due to the lower boiling point of ethanol added to gas.

Guest fatnsolo

Thanks Dave, I feel better about keeping the original running gear now, I am very impressed with the performance of the 394 and not quite so worried about the slim jim anymore. I also found a local gas station who sells non-ethanol gas............. car runs MUCH better and seems to be doing better on consumption as well. Thanks again,

Stan

Guest Jim_Edwards
Thanks Dave, I feel better about keeping the original running gear now, I am very impressed with the performance of the 394 and not quite so worried about the slim jim anymore. I also found a local gas station who sells non-ethanol gas............. car runs MUCH better and seems to be doing better on consumption as well. Thanks again,

Stan

Stan before making any long trips with the car replace the flexible (rubber) fuel lines and also look for any signs of pin holes in the steel line that runs along the frame on the passenger side. If the flexible lines haven't been replaced by anyone I'll guarantee they are oozing in one or more places. Replacing the portion between the tank and the steel line is challenging. Replacing the from the steel line to the fuel pump a near nightmare. I think they hired an idiot to determine the routing.

Jim