1955 LaSalle Roadster, I got a ride in it.

Guest rideswithchuck

Chuck~ as a long-time fan of this car (and the hardtop sedan)- I must admit I'm a bit torn here.

Somehow it seems... amiss that the car was re-powered differently than the hardware dictated. Look- I understand the non-structural/non-operational condition of the motor, and that to custom build one to be operational would be prohibitively expensive & time-intensive; I completely get that. And while electrification certainly may have been discussed in '55 (I wasn't there), the fact remains the car was not presented that way.

This is a one-off Motorama Dream Car from a dead Pre-War Division - the public presentation by a parent Corporation of a 'return' like this is unique by itself. Add to it the Las II was so packed with 'future think', and it seems a minor disservice to history to change anything on it. I guess I look upon them as sacred.

I have this unrealistic ideal that these near-priceless one-offs should be taken out onto a closed superhighway and wrung out... because they are so incredible. That they should, upon restoration, breathe operational life into the vision they presented originally, even if that vision was partially an illusion (as with the LaS II).

On the other hand --returning to reality here-- I also realize this may be a case of 'either electric power & 30 MPH or nothing & 0 MPH', and there I have to be on the side of electrification.

Don't mind me; the Dream Cars make me dream very vividly. ;)

I am loving these LaS II vids, Chuck- wish there were series for all the other dream cars, too. Keep up the great work.

Will be keeping special watch for vids re-debuting XP-38 and XP-75... ;)

Guest rideswithchuck
Chuck~ as a long-time fan of this car (and the hardtop sedan)- I must admit I'm a bit torn here.

Somehow it seems... amiss that the car was re-powered differently than the hardware dictated. Look- I understand the non-structural/non-operational condition of the motor, and that to custom build one to be operational would be prohibitively expensive & time-intensive; I completely get that. And while electrification certainly may have been discussed in '55 (I wasn't there), the fact remains the car was not presented that way.

This is a one-off Motorama Dream Car from a dead Pre-War Division - the public presentation by a parent Corporation of a 'return' like this is unique by itself. Add to it the Las II was so packed with 'future think', and it seems a minor disservice to history to change anything on it. I guess I look upon them as sacred.

I have this unrealistic ideal that these near-priceless one-offs should be taken out onto a closed superhighway and wrung out... because they are so incredible. That they should, upon restoration, breathe operational life into the vision they presented originally, even if that vision was partially an illusion (as with the LaS II).

On the other hand --returning to reality here-- I also realize this may be a case of 'either electric power & 30 MPH or nothing & 0 MPH', and there I have to be on the side of electrification.

Don't mind me; the Dream Cars make me dream very vividly. ;)

I am loving these LaS II vids, Chuck- wish there were series for all the other dream cars, too. Keep up the great work.

Will be keeping special watch for vids re-debuting XP-38 and XP-75... ;)

I believe that this "car" should be looked at more as a show prop for the GM Motorama Show, than a real car. A real car has working internals this doesn't. Props look real but aren't.

That said, this car has been given life and isn't life sacred. Wow, I can't believe I phrased it that way.

Guest my3buicks

I find it an intelligent way to make the car mobile without altering the original engine bay. The car will be able to be displayed and I would assume the propulsion system will not be able to be even seen. Making the car mobile will allow it to be presented at far more venues than if it had to be pushed around everywhere.

I believe that this "car" should be looked at more as a show prop for the GM Motorama Show, than a real car. A real car has working internals this doesn't. Props look real but aren't.

I could wholeheartedly agree were the car a fiberglas buck with nothing operational... but just the time & engineering that went into those wild, unique brakes makes me feel otherwise. Just my 2 cents, and I would still pay money to be in the presence of the LaSalle II.