Tell me more about the water neck......

Guest Kitskaboodle

Guest Kitskaboodle

Anyone have a pic of the water thermostat housing neck?

(especially the underside that shows how it fits into the manifold)

Also, why is it secured with only one bolt? :(

I think mine might be leaking.

Any installation tips so that it wont leak?

Kit

Edited by Kitskaboodle (see edit history)

Guest Kitskaboodle

Thank you. :)

I understand more now although the one bolt hold-down method

makes me kind of nervous. :(

Anyways, be that as it may is there a concensus here on the Forum

regarding what temp thermostat to use? (160 vs 180 vs 190)

Thanks again, Kit

Guest Richard D

Do a search, Padgett is the king of 3800 operating temps, I use 180 and I think thats what he recommends. The 3800 is good for 220-230 but the rest of the stuff under the hood is not happy about it.

While Padgett is correct here, and what he described will work if followed to the letter, I do find it intriguing that GM changed the 3800 to a two-bolt housing in 1991. Apparently there were enough problems with the one bolt design that an incremental change was deemed necessary. Really, one bolt to hold it in place seems like a stupid design decision to me anyway. Sure, it may have worked but having fasteners at opposing corners is always better than only one, so that they may be torqued evenly to ensure a tight seal.

KDirk

Suspect it was more that few understood how it worked. I have yet to have a 3800 water neck leak but then I understand what it is doing (aircraft use a lot of O-rings and they are popular at F*rd).

Too many people tried to correct a leak by tighening the one bolt, usually those who allowed it to become cocked in the first place or who cleaned the usual mating surface with out understanding that the important part was inside the manifold, and the result was often either a cracked neck, gouged manifold, or a bolt that King Kong could not remove.

Sometimed a design change is more due to stupidity than it being bad (and showing the thermostat wrong end up didn't help).

Bottom line, there is nothing wrong with the design but the process for R&R is a little "different".