Attention Texas car collectors

Barney Eaton

A friend just sent me a post that appears to be saying, after Sept 1 2011 Texas will not allow you to use "year of manufacturer" tags on your old car.

If you presently have "year of manufacturer" tags on your car and it is currently registered with them, you can continue to use them, should you fail to register the car at any time after 9/1/2011 you will be forced to use the Texas Classic tag furnished by the state.

So it appears that if you ever wanted to have old Texas tags on your vehicle, you have until Sept 1 2011 to get them approved and registered.

This also means if you have any old tags, the price should drop considerably.

The last time I priced good tags for my 1939 they were around $250 a pair.

The alleged reason for this was the "law" was having a difficult time knowing if a car was properly registered with old tags. Seems like a flimsy excuse with todays technology.

Barney

My understanding is that currently there are two classes that can use "year of manufacture" plates: antique and classic, where only the classic still had to have yearly safety inspections and no reduction in license fees and could be driven like a normal everyday car. Instead of eliminating the 'classic' category they just eliminated the YOM plates. Also the state is recycling old plate numbers and even if you found a YOM plate it might not be approved if the number is currently in use.

The only advantage to the state issued antique plates is that only one is issued to be put on the rear---cleans up the look of the front in many cases.

Willie

ONLY the "Classic" registration designation is affected . . . NOT the "Antique" registration designation.

"Classic" registrations have none of the restrictions which "Antique" registrations do, so they are for the "daily drivers" rather than "limited use vehicles" (i.e., "Antique"). THIS is where the Year of Manufacture plates have to be approved prior to Jan 1,2011 and on the car prior to Sept 1, 2011 . . . for those that are using YOM plates now OR want to use them in the future.

www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/Docs/TN/pdf/TN504.pdf

Note that section 504.501 and 504.5011 have TWO sections, one for "Prior to Sept 1, 2011" and one for "After Sept 1, 2011", which is where the distinctions are listed for the "Classic" registrations. "Antique" or "Exhibition Vehicle" information is in 504.502.

Happy Holidazzzz!

NTX5467

• 5 months later...

In addition to the recycling of numbers, as Old-Tank mentions, there is ALSO a specialty plate, in black and white, which someone who didn't know what they were looking at might suspect was a YOM license plate . . . at first glance.

This will also make it easier, I suspect, to ensure that "Antique" plates are used "as designed". This should make it easier for law enforcement operatives to better enforce the law in this area. Meaning "limited useage", which I've observed to seemingly be not fully understood by many people who put "Antique" plates on their cars and drive them to non-approved locations (i.e., work, church, school, grocery store) when NO car-related functions are at those locations on that particular day.

Regards,

NTX5467

• 1 month later...

I transferred at title last week and ask the people at the license branch about this issue.

IT HAS BEEN RESENDED........ someone, somewhere had enough clout to get this changed.

Guest wildcat465

At least your state is being up front with you and just taking them away. My state is simply using new variations of letters and number for "specialty plates" (critical habitat, various military status, poodle owner, professional nose picker, et al). It is taking away all the combinations used on YOM plates and you get a plain black and white 6 digit number Collector Plate along with a remove your plate notice. Minnesota is taking them away one by one and the guys selling the YOM plates at the swap meets are not going to tell you this. The money you spend/spent for the perfect YOM plate will need to come from the garage wall art fund now.

I went into the www.texas.gov website to renew a few vehicle registrations the other night. I looked under the "Antique and Classis" designation and pulled up their respective application forms. Both had dates prior to 01/11. Each still mentioned "Old License Plates" as having to be approved, in person, by the local registration office (i.e., condition, colors, etc.).

In other speciality plates, there are some extra-charge black and white plates which have a very vintage look to them, but are regular registration plates (I presume). These could easily replace the vendor-supplied vintage YOM plates for "Classic" vehicle registrations (the "classic" designation only gets you a YOM plate and NO other amenities or vehicle use restrictions as the "antique" 5-yr registration does).

What has been somewhat ignored in this deal is the fact that "customs", "replicas, and "street rods" now have legal registration classifications in TX. The SEMA-template legislation was used to accomplish this in the last legislative session. There are a few hoops to jump through, though . . .

Enjoy!

NTX5467