How to ID a Transmission with a missing tag

Guest Rob J

Thats going to be a tough one to do 100%. Theres a couple things you can do to find out if its at least a probable original.

You could check the number of teeth on the speedo gear and find out what it is supposed to be for the 3.42 rear end. I don't have the info for a 65 but am sure someone does. If it matches thats a good thing. If its wrong, the tranny has been replaced.

There is a date code on top of the tranny just ahead of the tail shaft. Don't know if you could see this with a mirror and bright light or not.

This date should be pretty close to the body build date like maybe within a month or two. Admittedly I don't have much info to know what is reasonable as far as the date code relationship to body build date so am making an assumption based on limited data. One thing for sure it shouldn't be after the body build date! If its within a month prior and the speedo gear matches that would at least give you some warm and fuzzyness it could be the original.

I would be a bit skeptical since the tag is gone. They don't just fall off because they are riveted on.

Here is a pic of the date code from my 66 GS. Note this one is March of 66. The car body was built the 5th week of March. Not sure what the other numbers are. The 7 could be the day of month but I really don't know for sure.

post-50687-143138367587_thumb.jpg

I haven't seen this car in person, I'm just going by what the owner is telling me. He inspected the car yesterday, and said he didn't see a tag on it. H'es owned the car for 33 years, and claims he never changed it.

But, I just found out that the engine block is not the original one as well. He didn't know that. So, somebody must have changed the block prior to his 1978 ownership. I agree, I am skeptical. You are right, they don't just fall off.

Seems like I read that there was a stamp code on the governor cover that coincided with the plate information? But this only works if it's the correct transmission for the vehicle and has not been through a mass-rebuilder situation (where all of these covers are removed for cleaning and then put onto transmissions they didn't come from). There might be some date codes and/or casting dates which might help identify the year, though.

Just some thoughts,

NTX5467