Antique/classic car values

Hydroglen

Is there a valuation guide for our cars? Nada is only good for postwar cars and the Gold Book is no more, or not in a way it used to be.

I have a good idea of what my cars are worth by following auctions and advertised prices, but it is good to have an independent market summary.

Cheers

George

Good sense also works :)

There is little evidence that Good Sense is an attribute of commonality anywhere on the planet, and perhaps less evident among those of us who will pay tens of thousands of dollars for or to restore an automobile that originally sold for less than $2,000. :D

Jim

I see people cite them all the time but personally I have no use for price guides. I think they are fine for a car that happens to have a number of public sales. For rare stuff that rarely trades at public auction they are worthless.

The best way is to ask club insiders for the particular marque you are thinking about.

Price guides are worthless. They ALWAYS favor the seller. An ebay auction will always cite the price guide and say a #5 condition whatchamacallit is worht $10,500 and you are looking a pile of rubble and the seller says he won't take less then $7500 for it because of the price guide.

It's a price GUIDE not a price written in stone by GOD. You have to use your common sense. I find the prices tend to be on the high side but every time I quote one on this board someone who owns the same model comes on and says the price is way too low.

Possibly best used to compare values. For example, a look in the price guide reveals a Dodge from the 30s or 40s is worth less money than a Ford even though when new, the Dodge sold for more money and was a better car. The prices reflect the opinions of the public but there is no reason you can't form your own opinion. The trick is to find someone who agrees with you , when you want to buy or sell.

NADA Guides printed version and website does have pre-war cars listed. Here is how NADA figures values. Each 1/4 contributors send in information about cars they have sold, appraised or know of an actual sale. Condition is reported as requested by NADA. They also use auction results. What comes in is averaged and I suppose some numbers are played with a bit because we (yes I am a contributor to NADA) are asked if we think some numbers are high or low. I can't sit and read every number of every car listed but I do see some areas that are not in line with current market and I say so in my report.

Now that said, what is the real deal? The actual market value of your car is what a willing seller and a willing buyer agrees to exchange for that car on that day.

I think one of the most glaring problems with price guides is an individuals view if condition.

The top condition is usually pretty close. Also the bottom, junk condition. In between is a vast area subject to a lot of difference of opinion. Usually based on wheather one is buying or selling.

:D:D:D

Ben

Agreed! Even though I have been in this hobby for just a short while, even I can see how there can be BIG differences between the buyer and seller. The car I have was supposed to be 90% complete, but in reality, its probably more like 60%. The selling price was very reasonable, so I'm not complaining.:D

Thanks guys for your input. I generally agree, but my point is were are these guides?

One poster mentioned NADA, but as I said earlier there are NO figures for prewar cars. Or not that I or many of my friends can find.

So while we may feel the guides are wrong, can somebody point out weer these guides are?

Thanks

George

Thanks guys for your input. I generally agree, but my point is were are these guides?

One poster mentioned NADA, but as I said earlier there are NO figures for prewar cars. Or not that I or many of my friends can find.

So while we may feel the guides are wrong, can somebody point out weer these guides are?

Thanks

George

Most stores that carry a lot of magazines may have the Old Car Price Guide. That is where I get mine. You might try Barnes and Noble, too.

George -

Most all of what is posted by the other members is true.

The "guide" is now the "OLD CARS REPORT PRICE GUIDE".

For some reason Old Cars decided to publish from 1930 on.

Every other issue is 1930-1980, then 1946-1993.

They're ruining the publication.

If you have a car prior to 1930, you are out of luck, its not even listed.

The values are taken from auctions all over the country. They are fairly accurate.

Your interpretation of the value from 1 to 6, 1 being the best, and 6 the worst, is up to you.

But, you have to start somewhere.

Chevy Bob