What can I say?!!

38Buick 80C

Lets me see if I have $189,000 CASH only!!! lying around. Seriously?

:eek: Well...., common now. There has to be a Wells Fargo Stage that you can hold up for it??? ;)

Lets see, if we remove the 18 from the front, and leave $9,000.... Now we are close to negotiations. But I wonder, does it come with legal papers. :confused:

I'll bring the $9,000 cash on pick up day if you have the car and papers in order. :P Dandy Dave!

Edited by Dandy Dave (see edit history)

You guys must not have seen that you can finance it according to their chart listed, for pocket change of a measly $6260.90 per month for 36 months.Who can't afford that?You guys are a bunch of CHEAPSKATES...;):D:D:D

Awww, Common Rich, give a fella some room to make a buck when he re-sells it in a few years. :cool: Dandy Dave!

Momma-Mia - Thats a really nice looking car. If its legitimately 10k mi documented and kept original, someone might bite on it for close to the asking price.

I don't have knowledge on those to be able to look at pics and know how authentic it is.

I just noticed the PA license plate. Obviously its in FL now.

Edited by JZRIV (see edit history)

Guest my3buicks

You would have 1/4 of that asking price in rechroming a Limited and to restore an iterior to that detail would cost a fortune - while a ton of money, I agree with Jason, to the right buyer they may get close that. The 58 Limited's have brought and can bring some serious money and you certainly can't deny the low production figures of the coupe and convertibles.

WOW, WOW, WOW!

OK Boys and Girls here goes........ What does this make my TWO 1958 Buick Limited 2drs worth?

This is the kind of thing that messes with this hobby. I no more believe that I can command that kind of money for my cars because I know what is involved with them.

46 left? This needs to be questioned. I know of at least 11 in the last 11 years just through car show events so.............. what makes that valid?

Sorry if I have gone off here but........ the next time I want to buy a 1958 Buick Limited part or...... the guy that has seen this will believe he has a rare and expensive part to sell so..............

MY car below is a 57,000 mile one that has been repainted (poorly and needs to be redone), has the original upholstery like the one for sale) but needs to be re foamed (no tears or rot), currently has the engine out and apart (due to someone trying to start and washing all the oil down and it stuck), the pistons came out without ridge reaming required (somewhat verifying the mileage), and while the chrome is driver quality I have acquired the rear quarter panel and fender trim that is typical on these models.

While the other is now a parts car it was given to me by my Dad (who bought it for 45 dollars -I think and drove it to High School). What can this be worth?????

If I think back on the convertibles I passed on (no money at the time) and the ones I've seen have not reached the asking price at BJ or....., REALITY OK?

post-36036-143138367288_thumb.jpg

Those are some beautiful pictures! ANYBODY who might ever desire to restore a '58 Buick should download and save those pictures for FUTURE REFERENCE . . . even those who might desire to judge that class at the national meets -- THIS IS YOUR OPPORTUNITY!

Pricing can be relative! Here we have an original car for a seemingly exorbitant price, with original condition chrome, paint, and interior (hopefully still in showroom condition!), which if it was ever used very much, many things would surely quickly deteriorate and need replacing (think about the seat foam, for example). For a "trophy", it would be very good, though.

It's certainly nice to look at, in the pictures!

Happy Holidays!

NTX5467

Nice car. With that price it looks like fishing season is open. For you 58 afficianados, this is definitely an early car as you will notice the upper instument panel has the pointed crash pad vs the rounded one. Also the surrounds around the power window switches are plated vs. painted as on the later ones.

I think we all agree that is a beautiful car. That is my absolute favorite corporate 58 color, lavender something.

When I see these I always wonder how does this not belong to a BCA member?

Pete, this would be an excellent one to put in the Bugle.

Guest Skyking
I wonder what that makes my 58 Special with A/C worth. That has to be rare, and his Limited doesn't even have A/C.

I'm not an authority on 58 Buicks, but isn't that a compressor under the hood? Also, it looks like a vent at the end of the dash?

I'm surprised the chrome on top of the rear bumper isn't as nice as the rest of the car. As far as the price,.... try doing another car that nice!

Any suggestions on what this 58 might be worth.

1958 66R Century Coupe.

Ordered from the factory by a museum - never registered.

Purchased by the present owner back in the 1980's with only a few miles on the odometer - I remember seeing it with a reading of around 40 miles back in the 90's ( last Century!! ).

The owner decided he would like to take it for a drive ( I guess to say he had driven a new 1958 Century ) so they went through the brakes, repaired some weeping gaskets on the water pump and had it club registered.

The car has now travelled a total of 144 miles.

post-31244-143138367908_thumb.jpg

post-31244-143138367911_thumb.jpg

post-31244-143138367914_thumb.jpg

post-31244-143138367917_thumb.jpg

post-31244-143138367921_thumb.jpg

post-31244-143138367924_thumb.jpg

Edited by 50jetback (see edit history)

Stuart,

These are always tough topics to cover. It is a $100,000 car BUT the audience at that price is very small. The Jay Lenos and "stupid money" folks at the January Scottsdale auctions.

Take them out of the picture, it becomes a $50,000 car IMO.

Guest Dans 77 Limited
WOW, WOW, WOW!

OK Boys and Girls here goes........ What does this make my TWO 1958 Buick Limited 2drs worth?

This is the kind of thing that messes with this hobby. I no more believe that I can command that kind of money for my cars because I know what is involved with them.

46 left? This needs to be questioned. I know of at least 11 in the last 11 years just through car show events so.............. what makes that valid?

Sorry if I have gone off here but........ the next time I want to buy a 1958 Buick Limited part or...... the guy that has seen this will believe he has a rare and expensive part to sell so..............

MY car below is a 57,000 mile one that has been repainted (poorly and needs to be redone), has the original upholstery like the one for sale) but needs to be re foamed (no tears or rot), currently has the engine out and apart (due to someone trying to start and washing all the oil down and it stuck), the pistons came out without ridge reaming required (somewhat verifying the mileage), and while the chrome is driver quality I have acquired the rear quarter panel and fender trim that is typical on these models.

While the other is now a parts car it was given to me by my Dad (who bought it for 45 dollars -I think and drove it to High School). What can this be worth?????

If I think back on the convertibles I passed on (no money at the time) and the ones I've seen have not reached the asking price at BJ or....., REALITY OK?

This is a valid point. IF this guy gets close to the money he is asking for this car , does it drive up the price of other 58s ? And more importantly does it drive up the cost of 58 parts ? And if it does , will we see the middle class car owner (read guys like me) squeezed out of yet another classic car?

I understand the frustration here because I have lived it. Along with the Buick I used to own Mopars. Notice I said used to own. At one point in my life , along with the 77 Buick, I owned a 1970 Chrysler 300 Hurst, a 1972 Dodge Dart Swinger , and a 1979 Chrysler Cordoba 300. I loved them all and never would have dreamed of getting rid of any of them. But it was the cost of parts and repair that eventually drove all 3 of them out of my garage. The Hurst was and is a rare piece and I was told that mine was 1 of 3 ever made with the particular option package it had. I knew it was going to be expensive to maintain and repair. But what I didnt count on was the popularity of Mopars taking off the way they did and seeing the cars go from "cruisers " to "investments" . I wanted the Hurst repainted and some body work done, there were some complications and to finally get everything right again (after the Mopar boom) the body shop man literally said to me it was going to cost well over 100K to get my Chrysler repainted and put back together. Before the boom the same guy wanted 15K to do the same work. Needless to say the Hurst never got finished. It got traded away in a strange deal that eventually landed me my Grandville convertible.... and Im happy with that.

The Cordoba needed a lean burn computer. Some POS that Chrysler cooked up in the late 70s. Just try and find one !!!! and if you do find one throw your wallet at it , then throw your checkbook in right behind it . A used grille shell alone for that car was $650 ten years ago!!!! I put an old style points distributor in it and sent it down the road.

But the most amazing of the three was the Dart. It needed a map light switch and the fender mounted turn signal indicators were pitted. I was told that the map light switch with a little modification could be used as a road lamp switch on an E body (The holy grail of Mopar parts and car prices ) and that what was originally a $5.00 part at the dealer (box still had the price tag on it ) could be mine for the bargain price of $200. So after that heart stopper I went looking for the fender indicators , none were being repopped and I found a set of NOS ata place called Laysons restorations. I also discovered these were interchangable with the mighty E body price raper. When I inquired the guy literally asked me what my yearly income was , and if it was below a certain level (which it was ) I would have to finance the parts and if I didnt want to do that , then somebody else would !!!!!!!!!!

So I FULLY understand the concerns that current 58 Limited owners have over this car . If somebody pays this price,it may make the car they already own.... unaffordable.

Oh and I have a 77 Limited , I know its not a 58 , but it is a Limited ...... if this 58 sells for the asking price do you think I can get maybe 50-75K for MY Limited ???????????:eek:

Dan

Guest my3buicks

I personally don't think the selling price of this car will have an effect on other 58 sales or parts. You may have the novice seller that sees this ones asking price and thinks his car is gold also but the buying public will quickly put that guy in perspective. This car stands out and is afforded the asking price because of it's exceedingly low mileage, condition and originality. IT IS UNIQUE! You can buy a fully restored 58 Limited Coupe, they are out there, but how many 58 limited exist with this ones mileage and original condition. I don't think anyone thinks it will sell at the asking price, but I wager it will go fro a premium even over a fully restored showpiece.

Guest Dans 77 Limited
I personally don't think the selling price of this car will have an effect on other 58 sales or parts. You may have the novice seller that sees this ones asking price and thinks his car is gold also but the buying public will quickly put that guy in perspective. This car stands out and is afforded the asking price because of it's exceedingly low mileage, condition and originality. IT IS UNIQUE! You can buy a fully restored 58 Limited Coupe, they are out there, but how many 58 limited exist with this ones mileage and original condition. I don't think anyone thinks it will sell at the asking price, but I wager it will go fro a premium even over a fully restored showpiece.

Keith I honestly and sincerely hope you are right.

Dan

Guest my3buicks

The thought that it was local intrigued me enough to call on the car. Thought I could go look at it. It is now in Florida with a slick willy salesman.

Dan & Kieth,

After reviewing the previous posts and my initial post, yes, I did express some frustration I guess and I do recognize this car surely has a premium value because of it's extremely low mileage and condition and maybe I'm....... jealous mine is not in that condition? While I'm not in the mode of selling at all I just want to get mine back in running condition soon to relive what was when I first got mine. Isn't that what some of us are going for with this hobby? Again, sorry to sound a bit biased originally.

However, this past Sunday I went to a HASC Swap Meet in Toronto, Canada and there was a grill for a 58 there that at best would have been a very low quality driver unit. One side had been buffed some and showed a lot of pitting on the square chrome areas, the other side looked like it had been beside someones metal grinder and trying to wipe off the residue on a few areas it would not clean up. Further, you could tell when it was removed it had been reefed back and fourth breaking the lower frame in several places on both pieces and they even left the broken brackets on the outer ends. Asking price 100.00cd. Offer 75.00. Response, Guess you will be looking somewhere else for one. So, I will and hopefully a much better one.

Deals are still out there. Three years ago went to a meet that Old Auto's puts on (over 1200 cars) and there was a black 58 Limited 2dr there. If you have seen the ads for Cambridge Custom Chrome, this car was found three blocks from there and in a garage for some time. The story goes, the man paid 5,000.00 for it, redid the usual (brakes exhaust, carb, tires, hoses etc) and drove it around for a year. Then decided to repaint it but the interior was really nice (original). The odometer showed 65,000 miles and it ran like a Buick should! Tried to convince him to join the BCA but do not see him listed and haven't seen the car since.

If anyone has the ability to post the outcome of the Limited listed for sale I for one would be interested to see what happens, Doug BCA # 35039

Guest Dans 77 Limited

Doug I understand where you are coming from. Right now I have 2 cars the 77 Buick and my 73 Pontiac convertible. I dont have any immediate plans on selling either one of them. My soon to be 14 year old loves the 77 and I have already promised it to him as a college graduation present . The Pontiac is my retirement plan. I want to take it and drive whatever is left of the original route 66 when I retire in about 20 years or so. So that one isnt going anywhere anytime soon either. Patience does pay off. It took me almost 7 years to find a part I needed for my Buick but I eventually found it and now its on the car. So if this guy thinks his pitted , busted old grille is made of gold .... let him think it is , and go find yourself a nicer one for a better price.

Dan I dont think thats a starlite car. Looks like too many trees in the parking lot and whats with the multi color building in the background ? Also in the background on one of the pics is a 59 Buick .... I dont recall seeing any 59s locally ...... a lot of 60s but not any 59s. Also I dont recall seeing any markings on the poles at starlite as to what row your in etc. I mean I could be wrong but ..........

Dan