Antique car radio repair

Guest mercman86

Guest mercman86

Hello everyone!

Can anyone recomend a reputible antque car radio repair shop? I have checked hemmings and did a search online and there are a lot of choices out there! I would like to have my AM radio from my ranchero checked out and possibly have an aux imput added to it. If anyone has a place they've used and have been satisfied with their work let me know. And if they are in the chicago area that would be even better but its not that big of a deal if i have to ship it somewhere to get good work.

Thanks again,

Alex

There used to be a guy in the Sterling Heights (north of Detroit), Michigan area that was like the king of those era radios and the repair of them. He advertised in Hemmings. He may still be in business. Sorry I cannot recall the name, but someone here may remember the guy.

Guest Jim_Edwards
I went thru all the trouble to get mine working and now I found out why nobody ever listens to AM stations!

No kidding! Around my part of the woods we're real lucky and have two AM

"Oldies" stations that actually play music that's nice to hear again. Otherwise it would be idiots calling into a political or sports talk show, in Spanish, some oriental language, or some guy trying to sell you on the idea of getting a genuine autographed photo of Jesus Christ for you generous donation to keep them on the air and in their limo.

Thank goodness for hidden AM/FM receivers.

Jim

Guest mercman86

Yea, the AM radio around here has nothing really worth listening to. The car has an aftermarket am-fm radio in it now and I just dont like the looks of it at all. A few companies can convert it to AM-FM but its big bucks. I really like the idea of having an aux imput to plug in my satelite radio into. I dont care about sound quality too much, I just the dash to look right.

Guest Jim_Edwards
Yea, the AM radio around here has nothing really worth listening to. The car has an aftermarket am-fm radio in it now and I just dont like the looks of it at all. A few companies can convert it to AM-FM but its big bucks. I really like the idea of having an aux imput to plug in my satelite radio into. I dont care about sound quality too much, I just the dash to look right.

I managed to hide a small AM/FM stereo beneath the dash of my '62 Olds

Starfire and using an antenna splitter feed both the original and the AM/FM off the one antenna. A switch to the speakers (also hidden) allows me to select the radio I choose to hear. The AM/FM works just great with my satellite radio receiver.

Jim

Guest Jim_Edwards
The autographed photo line above made my day. I almost fell off my chair. You gotta love the internet. Jim

Yeah that line is indeed funny. It is particularly funny to me because the basis for it was from hearing a radio evangelist in the late 1950s actually making the offer over radio station XERF which had studios in Del Rio, Texas, but its transmitter with 250,000 watts of power was in Mexico on clear channel 1570. Its broadcasts could be heard virtually anywhere in North America. Anyone familiar with famed Disc Jockey Wolfman Jack's broadcasts in the late 1950s and early 1960s would have first heard him on XERF after they stopped selling time at night to evagelists.

Now I never sent that loon any money so I never saw one of the photos. It is sufficient to say a huge percentage of Mexican males have within their often many given names "Jesus" or "Jesus Christe." So the pictures might have been of the guy running the Taco stand down the road.:D

The history of XERF is a bit interesting to read and there are many references/stories about it on the web. You might just run across a link or two about one or more of the evangelists and snake oil salesmen that use to buy time at night. Just google XERF.

Jim

Edited by Jim_Edwards (see edit history)

I really like the idea of having an aux imput to plug in my satelite radio into. I dont care about sound quality too much, I just the dash to look right.

Mercman, I have just what you need.

I also wanted an upgrade and hate the appearance of aftermarket stereos in an old car. Contact:

Robert Pacini

Precision Stereo Repair

8441 Seneca Tpke

New Hartford NY 13413

Ph 315-797-5219

Email: oldstereo@hotmail.com

He will check and service your AM radio, including possible upgrades to it's AM performance, and install an input jack for Ipod or Sat. Performance is great, your cost would probably be well under $200. Good luck, Todd C