49 Buick stoplight switch in Australia..

I guess that the switch on your car is the same as a bunch of other GM cars and screws into the master cylinder. If so whether it is 6 volt or 12 volt does not matter. Take the switch to Repco, Autopro or Supa Cheap and they should have something to get you out of trouble. The terminals may be different but you can sort that out.

Koala

I guess that the switch on your car is the same as a bunch of other GM cars and screws into the master cylinder. If so whether it is 6 volt or 12 volt does not matter. Take the switch to Repco, Autopro or Supa Cheap and they should have something to get you out of trouble. The terminals may be different but you can sort that out.

Koala

Actually the switch runs off a junction box for the brake lines (on the chassis) with 2 terminals runnign back into the wiring loom..I would have thought it needed to be 6volt but trust me I wouldn't know!

Cheers Adam

Hi again Adam.

Don't worry about voltage, just find a 2 terminal pressure switch that will screw into the hole and you are in business. My 56 Buick uses the same switch as my 36 and 37 Chevs so this tells me that they used them for a lot of years, I will be very surprised if you can't find one at your usual parts supply place. If you are stuck then I have a 2nd hand spare floating around somewhere that you can have.

Just short the terminals together and turn on the ignition to test if the lights work and it is in fact the switch that is faulty.

Koala