Lowered my 1950 super!

1950SuperPDX

Are you planning to turn this car into a streetrod ?

I cannot understand WHY you chose to lower it ???

Unless you are planning a rod project ?

Because the stock height looks a little silly. Cars were up high because most roads back then were dirt, so they were extra high. I lowered it very tastefully. Its very subtle and does not effect the originally of the car. After all if i want it back, there's just coils! Its not like I chopped it!! No not a street rod. I hate street rods, don't even say that word. Its a "traditional rod" just like how it was done in the 50's. Everything thing is staying original. Might eventually get painted (same color) other then that, thats all I'm doing to it. It also rides better now because of the center of gravity is lower.

Oh dear,

So it looks silly does it? In 2010 of course it does, anything with wheels that skinny tucked so far under the guards looks a bit goofy today. But seriously, does the grille look any less silly than the ride height?

I have a 53 which front or rear on looks postively undernourished in the track department. It is a Super with the Dynaflow so it's progress is at best leisurely.

Like our friends, 50 odd years on maybe we just need to respect these old gals and guys for what they are, 'cause they sure as heck aren't and can't be anything else.

I always say: It's my S.O.B. and I'll make it the way I want it. In this case it's your S.O.B. and if that's the way you like it, don't worry about what anyone else might think, including me.:)

I built my first hot rod in 1955, did my first "custom" of a '47 Ford coupe the next year and I don't recall anyone ever taking a four door sedan and lowering it all the way around. We used drop spindles on hot rods and would take a leaf out of rear springs or change the shackles to drop the rear on typically a coupe or convertible. Even chopped a coupe every now and then. Candidly lowering does not make this car a "traditional rod." I hate to say it but it doesn't even qualify as "Customized" car typical of the 1950s.

The factory level of the cars in 1950 had nothing to do with general road conditions as they did before 1935 or so. Model As sat much lower than Model Ts and by the time 1936 or so models rolled out it had become nearly impossible to even wiggle beneath the typical new vehicle without jacking it up.

The only unpaved roads dirt roads to be found in most places even in 1950 were in very rural areas. The era of deeply rutted, ill maintained highways and roads had passed by the time WWII rolled around. The practice of building concrete and asphalt pave roads even spawned the common reference "the hard road" to separate from gravel or dirt. The term was commonly used into the 1940s when such paving was far more common than gravel or nothing but dirt.

Jim

Edited by Jim_Edwards (see edit history)

Had you wanted to keep the ride comfort, you could have bought new springs that would have given you the ride height you wanted, or you could have gotten dropped front spindles as they too are available!

warming the springs often messes with the ride and handling (or in the case of a Buick the lack of handling) :)