Chrysler "C" body 2-speed wipers w/delay

Guest James Lowery

Guest James Lowery

I am hopeful that someone in AACA-land can help me out with my wipers. Recently, the wipers in my 78 Newport stopped working. After checking everything out, I found out that the wiper motor pivot/crank arm came loose, pulled out the bushing on the main wiper transmission arn and fell out of the car. The Newport has the optional 2-speed wipers w/the intermittent feature. According to the Jim LaRoache of Lambert Chrysler (jim@lambertauto.com - 800 726 2104 He is a great contact) said I neded P/N 3799442 - "Link" but us no longer available. I have looked on the internet and made lots of phone calls but no luck with either a new or used part. It seems the bushing on the main transmission arm is the problem in that it is about 7/8 inch in diameter and DORMAN does NOT have a replacement, nor anyone else. If I had the 3-speeed wipers...no problem. However, the 2-peed wipers w/the intermitent feature is a BIG problem. Does anyone have a solution??? Maybe a spare 3799442??? Please let me know. Thanks, Jim (Miami, FL)

Check Welcome to the PartsVoice Parts Locator

It's a parts locator website where, after free registration, you can put the factory part number in the search window and it'll pull up dealers which show some stocking history on the part, nationwide. Then you'll have to call the dealer(s) to obtain the part. Many will ship and charge it to your credit card . . . but it's yours with no return if it's not right.

On my '80 Newport, the white plastic bushing popped out. I got one from the local Chrysler dealer and it was very hard to get popped back in. It sounds like it was about the same size as what you have. I, personally, can't perceive Chrysler having two different bushings, that were significantly different on windshield wiper linkage. Later, I saw the same items on the HELP! rack at the auto supply.

I suspect that all you need is the plastic bushing, but my '75 Chrysler parts book shows "Link w/bushing" in the illustration parts group 23-67-79 BUT . . . the particular bushing you might need is "Bushing 23-67-132 3431634 and fits ALL Chrysler (car) products in 1975 and is probably the same one that fits my '80 Newport and earlier models, too.

Not to doubt the determination made by your parts person, but in looking in my '75 Chrysler parts book (Printed March, 1976), Illus. Page 23-14, on the upper section of the page is the two squares with the "3-Speed" and "2-Speed" linkage-to-motor pictures. In the "circle" just below and to the right of that area on the page, which details the "Pivot" and "Link w/bushing" is the separate "Bushing 23-67-132" in that section of the illustration. I highly suspect THAT is the part you need rather than the "Link w/bushing", which I also suspect, very few dealers--if any--ever stocked, which greatly reduces the possibility of finding one NOS in a dealer's inventory at this point in time. BUT the 3431634 (or later part numbers from that 1976 part number) could well fix your problem. Typically, Dorman doesn't do windshield wiper linkage rods, by observation.

Respectfully,

NTX5467

Edited by NTX5467 (see edit history)

Guest James Lowery

Dear NTX5467: Thank you for this information and I will give it a try and see what comes up. Honestly, I can't remember how many places I have phoned and emailed looking for this part. As soon as they ask what I need, they all say everyone is looking for the same part!!! Lot's of 3-speed parts but no 2-speed. I spelled Jim's (Lambert Chrysler) last name wrong...it's LaRoche. He is great to work with, has NOS parts in staock and will really try to help you. I will post any further results on how this all ends. Best regards, Jim

• 1 month later...
Guest James Lowery

Here is the latest...I managed to order P/N 3879325, which is a "Bushing Kit" that applies to various Chrysler vehicles. Also, I was able to locate the wiper crank / pivot arm and NOS bushing AMS Obsolate. So now I have the "Kit" as a spare and the correct bushing. However, the crank/pivot arm that AMS sent had the straight keyway instead on one that has the angle cut. Yes! There are two types of crank / pivot arms for the 78 model year. I sent the incorrect part back and and should receive the correct one shortly. Once I have all the pieces, I can then see if this will all work. Will keep you posted!!!! Jim

• 3 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
Guest James Lowery

Thanks for the help, everyone. I did check with Murray Park and he had the wiper pivot arm that I needed! The bushing kit P/N 3798325 will not work outright but with some VERY careful mods, it can be made to work but it still is not the right way to go. Now here is the kicker. The wiper arm I got from Murray Park has P/N3788437 and the cam bushing I got from AMS that fits into the arm & linkage is P/N 3799183...sounds great...but no. These parts were never sold individually but both together make part 3799442, which is NLA. I can't understand for the life of me why would Chrysler Corp torture their patrons like this. So if you every run across any three of the above P/N's, they are like gold!!!

Now after installing the parts (pivot arm & bushing) and they only go in one way, I can only get the wipers to give me a 3/4 sweep over the windshield...I looked at everything over 5 times and cannot figure this one out. Any ideas??? Thanks, Jim

• 9 months later...
Guest James Lowery

Ok '78 C-Body owners. Here is the final scoop on this thread. The 78's had a one only wiper pivot arm and cam bushing set-up, which is P/N 3799442 but NLA. Don't waste your time trying to fix it or buy parts for it. Once it breaks, it's a gonner and your wipers will not work. However, the wiper pivot arm from a 74-77 "C" body will fix the problem. Buy a used one with all the pieces and install it. The only difference is that the 74-77 verision uses a retainer clip to hold the cam bushing in place. Better yet, it is very unlikely to fail since there is no pressure on the cam bushing as 78 does, since it snaps in place. The 74-77 set-up still has a has a replacement kit available under P/N 3879325 in case you want all new parts. Happy Motoring!!!

• 1 year later...
Guest Tsagoth

Did you ever make replacement bushings ? I've got a 78 New Yorker with a broken bushing and I've been searching all over for any of the parts and haven't found anything. I'm a little annoyed to think I'm going to end up sending the car to the wreckers because I can't get some fifty-cent part to pass the safety certification.

Guest James Lowery

Hi Tsagoth: Please read my last update above your inquiry. Buy a 74 to 77 pivot arm and get the repair kit. This will work since the original pivot arm/bushing for a '78 was a 1 year only part, is an integrated unit, no longer available and it was very poor set-up. I converted mine to the 74-77 version and it works great. Good luck!

Guest Tsagoth
Hi Tsagoth: Please read my last update above your inquiry. Buy a 74 to 77 pivot arm and get the repair kit. This will work since the original pivot arm/bushing for a '78 was a 1 year only part, is an integrated unit, no longer available and it was very poor set-up. I converted mine to the 74-77 version and it works great. Good luck!

You don't happen to have a part number for the arm for the 77 do you ? I'm not even sure if that kit is available any more.

Guest James Lowery

Hi Tsagoth: The arm is a very common part and you Murray's Auto Parts will have a bunch of them them at a reasonable price. As for the kit, please contact Jim LaRoche at jim@lambertauto.com since I bought a kit from him. Jim works for a Lambert Chrysler in a town in New Hampshire and he specializes in obolste Mopar & American Motors parts. If this does not work, go to any of the "C" body forums, signed up and look for the used parts for sale. I saw many old 74 to 77 "C" body parts cars that had the complete set up in the cars still. Goo luck!

• 4 months later...
Guest JoePfeiffer

I've got the same problem with the same year and model... and so far none of the sources I've tried to contact (including Jim above) has gotten back to me! I am curious about the 3799442 part number that's been referenced in this thread -- as I look on illustration pages 23-36 and 23-37 of my '78 FPC, the part appears to be part 3 in the inset figure labelled "2 speed" on p. 23-36, which corresponds to part 3799278 on page 23-37. So... where does 379442 turn up? Not that I'm having any better luck finding 3799278 than I am any of the other part numbers in question...

Guest James Lowery

Hi Joe: The '78 "C" body Chryslers had a one piece "Quick Release" wiper piivot arm / bushing set-up under P/N 3799442 that is a one year only part. It is an integrated unit in that when it fails, which is usually the plastic bushing, the whole unit must be replaced. The problem is that part is NLA (No Loner Available). Believe me, I have called and emailed everyone for the part and it just does not exist anymore. The "Quick Release" units were easier to install at the factory but a very poor design in that it put way too much load on the plastic bushing and when it broke, you lost the internal spring and other parts as well. I got the wipers in the '78 Newport to work by buying a complete wiper arm from a junked 74-77 "C" body Chrysler with all the pieces attached and transferring them to '78. If you can only find the pivot arm, this is OK since you still buy the rebuild kits to '74 to '77 "C" body cars under P/N 3879325. I bought one from Jim LaRoche at jim@lambertauto.com but I have seen the same kit being offered by other MOPAR parts houses at varying prices. There is someone on EBay making the plastic bushing for P/N 3799442 but if you do not have all the bits and pieces, it will not work. I trust that these words of wisdom will help you and do not waste your time looking for P/N 3799442. On a final note, my '78 Newport was sold to a lady in Europe...she made an offer I could not refuse. Happy driving!

Guest JoePfeiffer

Again, my question here was where the '442 appears in the parts catalog, and what the '278 part in my catalog really is...As a followup, it turned out that bluestarperformance.com had both the '325 kit and the '757 crank, so they're on my way to me.

Guest James Lowery
Again, my question here was where the '442 appears in the parts catalog, and what the '278 part in my catalog really is...As a followup, it turned out that bluestarperformance.com had both the '325 kit and the '757 crank, so they're on my way to me.

Joe: I am pleased to see that you found all the pieces needed to get your wipers going again. Kindly note that the keyway on the back of your '78 wiper motor is different from the 757 pivot / crank arm keyway but this is OK. The 74-77 motors have a rectagular keyway while the 78's have a rectangular keyway with a notch in it. The 757 arm will fit perfectly and there will be no problem. The 442 vesion was a snap-on version and all the pressure to hold everything in place was on the plastic bushing and thus they failed easily due to the design. With the older version, all is held by a metal retaining clip, which you will find in the kit and this version will last forever. Whoever dreamed up the 3799442 version for the wipers should have been shot, quatered and boiled in oil. Do you know how long it took me to figure this all out??? Good luck! Jim

• 2 weeks later...
Guest JoePfeiffer

This ought to be easy, but it's thrown me completely: I now have the crank and kit for the 74-77 came and release. For the life of me, I can't see how to get the kit on the crank! I feel like it ought to be easy, but I can't find an orientation for the retainer (big pot metal piece), release, and cam that doesn't end up with cam or release getting hung up on the protrusions on the retainer at some point in the rotation....

Guest James Lowery

Joe: OK...it is a bit difficult to explain how it goes all together but I will try to give you a run-down from memory since I no longer have the '78. First, remove the wiper arms, the lower wide chrome molding at the bottom of the windshield and plastic grate. This will give you 100% access to all the components. Remove the old crank arm if it is still attached to the wiper motor and save the retaining nut. The repair kit (3879325) has extra pieces since it repairs other MOPAR products. You are going to use the plastic bushing with the small hole in it, the spring and the metal retainer clip. Take the old style crank arm an bolt it to the wiper motor and make sure you have the attaching point out towards the internal (main) wiper arm that has the big hole in it. In the event you have moved the wiper motor from the neutral position, turn the wiper on with nothing connected and this will set the crank arm to the parked position. Put the spring in the plastic bushing and slide it over the crank arm so the pin on crank arm protrudes out of the small hole. Take the internal (main) arm with the large hole and it will fit on the backside of the plastic bushing and the pin should be sticking out a little. Then take the retaining clip and slide it so it locks the whole assembly to the internal (main) crank arm. To see if you have installed all the hardware correctly, take cardboard from a ceral box and cut a piece into a 3" triangle. Tape the triangle onto the stub where the external wiper arm fits with the point of the triangle is pointed towards the left side of the windshield so that mimics the way real wiper arm will look in the parked position. Turn on the wiper motor and visually look how the cardboard triangle moves. If it correctly mirrors how a real external wiper arm will travel, then you have installed the pieces correctly and all is aligned. It is possible install the pivot arm in the wrong position thus I use the cardboard triangle to check on the wiper action BEFORE installing all the other pieces. Then put the plastic grate back in, screw in the chrome strip and attach the wipers and you are good to go. The extrenal wiper arms are a bit of a headache to get off but pull them forward and there is a tiny release lever on the side of the wiper arm you have to move while pulling on the wiper arm. Be patient, use a larger size flat screw driver to pry it a bit since they likely have not ever been removed from the car since it left the factory. Use a little grease when putting the external wiper arms back on. I trust these instructions help!!! :)

Guest JoePfeiffer

There's a piece of pot metal that almost has to be first on the stack (or else there's about 3/16" of extra space) but it has various bumps and things that interfere with the rotation of the bushing...

Guest James Lowery

Joe: I wish the '78 Newport was still around to take a look at it but it is gone. Originally, I bought the pivot arm, bushing and internal (main) arm from a junked car. All I did was remove the pivot arm, spring and retainer clip from the one I purchased and install everything on the internal (main) arm in the '78. I did buy a repair kit (3879325) as a back-up, but did not use any pieces from the kit and remember there was a three extra pieces, a thin tension spacer that can go between pivot arm and plastic bushing due to the hole size in the middle of it and two other thick plactic spacers / bushings that I could NOT use. The kit went with the car when I sold it. Other than I put everything in backwards the first time around, everything worked when all was correctly in place. Maybe a previous owner of your car changed internal (main) wiper arm to get the system working? Be sure you assemble the pieces as follows. Two prong spring inside the plastic bushing, (if needed, the thin washer with the hole to hold the sping inplace), put the top part of the bushing through the internal (main) arm and lock it place with the retainer clip. then bolt the pivot arm to the motor. I did this in reverse order by bumping the ingnition with the wiper switch on and bolting the pivot arm to the wiper motor when it was on the high high point. Then I turned on the ignition, parked the wipers and installed the rest of the components. All worked fine after that. Maybe send me some images of the kit, pivot arm and internal (main arm) so i can take a look? My email address is loweryj@bellsouth.net. Best regards, Jim

Guest JoePfeiffer

Ah HA! I was able to look at one today, and my mistake was in thinking the nylon cam rotates against the pot metal piece -- it doesn't. The whole thing rotates around the pin! I think I've got it now.

Guest JoePfeiffer

There seems to be a JavaScript problem with the site, so I can't edit my post. But thank you very much for all your time helping me with this, and the offer to look at some photos. I really appreciate it!

Guest James Lowery

Joe: OK...you had your epiphany on how to install the pieces. Yes...it is real hard to visualize on how to assemble something when you have little or no references. I am certain that when the bushing broke in your car, all the pieces rolled down the drain opening except the pivot arm. This older set-up is much better and there is little pressure on the bushing so it should last a long time. I cut up some galvanized wire cloth and placed it over the drain hole in my X Newport, just in case. Enjoy your ride! Jim

Guest JoePfeiffer

No, actually, all the pieces stayed right where they belonged except the drive link separated from the bushing -- the top of the bushing even stayed in the hole in the drive link! My big blind spot was not understanding that the plastic bushing doesn't rotate in the pot metal piece. Something I find interesting is it turns out in 79 they went back to a similar design to the pre-78, except the big pot metal piece was plastic. I came across a forum where they were putting together an order to have a batch of reproductions fabricated a few years ago...