Rare Ford Truck

Fleek

Although I an no expert, 1947 seems a very early date for a McCullough supercharger. Does anyone know when they were introduced to the market? The $800,000.00 price seems a little suspicious. Whats a factory supercharged 57 T Bird going for these days? I can't imagine a pickup selling for much more than a T Bird despite it's alleged extreme rarity. There are lots of very rare cars out there {only known surviving example of a particular Make or model} , but it doesn't automatically make them hugely valuable.

Greg in Canada

Guest Jim_Edwards
If I read the article right, it says he got 800,000 AND a new F-350 dually. I wonder how many people believe that story?

I don't!

Not that it matters! :D

Typical inflated story as heard at about any car show. Goes along with

1. Only one in existence, one of a kind

2, Only known survivor.

3. Custom built for:

4. Best in the world,

5. Worth millions,

Why can't people just say, "It's an old vehicle that I fixed up to my liking"

Guest Jim_Edwards
I would think the decimal point got moved... $80,000.00 would still be high.

No Kidding since a nicely restored truck of the same year with an equally good appearance, but without the speed equipment and inappropriately chromed parts sold at auction for an even $2,000.00 in Dallas.

If there were actually only 35 of the exact setup it would have likely been for a specific fleet buyer. And just how likely would that be? The idea of something like Ford's limited production Lightening Pickups had not yet crossed anyone's mind in 1947. Pickups were not so attractive and very utilitarian vehicles in 1947.

Jim

Guest Jim_Edwards
As George Hull once said "There's a sucker born every minute."

Actually the statement "There's a sucker born every minute" belongs to David Hannum who had purchased the Cardiff Giant from Hull. It is mistakenly credited to P.T. Barnham who had attempted to purchase the giant from Hull and ended up clandestinely making a duplicate, Which resulted in a suit by Hannum against Barnham. The statement made by Hannum regarding people paying to see Barnham's fake giant. All three principals in the Cardiff Giant "Hoax" could easily be described as unscrupulous profiteers as both the alleged Hull original and copy by Barnham were both fakes.

This virtually unimportant bit of trivia brought to you as a public service...:D

Jim

If Ford had really built 35 trucks like this I'm sure it would have been well documented and discussed here and on all the other related forums. Remember Ford was winding dowm this "jailbar" design which was in its sixth year and would have been long gone if not for the war. The totally new design of 48 even got the new 8BA engine a year before the car and they probably brought it out in late 47. I don't believe they would have put any resources at all into a soon to be retired truck and if they were idiot enough to pay that much money to buy it back we would already know about it. A lot of people are convinced the aliens are here,too.

Edited by Dave Mellor NJ (see edit history)

If Ford had really built 35 trucks like this I'm sure it would have been well documented and discussed here and on all the other related forums. Remember Ford was winding dowm this "jailbar" design which was in its sixth year and would have been long gone if not for the war. The totally new design of 48 even got the new 8BA engine a year before the car and they probably brought it out in late 47. I don't believe they would have put any resources at all into a soon to be retired truck and if they were idiot enough to pay that much money to buy it back we would already know about it. A lot of people are convinced the aliens are here,too.

Well...the aliens ARE here, but even THEY are not going to buy that Ford truck for that price!

Guest Jim_Edwards
"I got a bridge for sale...."

If it's in Detroit, maybe Ford will buy it too............:D maybe even throw in a Pinto to sweeten the deal.

Typical inflated story as heard at about any car show. Goes along with

1. Only one in existence, one of a kind

2, Only known survivor.

3. Custom built for:

4. Best in the world,

5. Worth millions,

Why can't people just say, "It's an old vehicle that I fixed up to my liking"

Paul you forgot "Nexr year it will be an antique!''

Perhaps this guy drinks his own bath water

How many 'last built Caddy conv.' are in storage? Awaiting the price to go up.

Remember It easy to be stupid :)

Enough of this. I'm going to see the Egress.

Actually the statement "There's a sucker born every minute" belongs to David Hannum who had purchased the Cardiff Giant from Hull. It is mistakenly credited to P.T. Barnham who had attempted to purchase the giant from Hull and ended up clandestinely making a duplicate, Which resulted in a suit by Hannum against Barnham. The statement made by Hannum regarding people paying to see Barnham's fake giant. All three principals in the Cardiff Giant "Hoax" could easily be described as unscrupulous profiteers as both the alleged Hull original and copy by Barnham were both fakes.

This virtually unimportant bit of trivia brought to you as a public service...:D

Jim

Hey, don't laugh too fast. :D A guy in the U.S. bought the orginal London Bridge and put it on Lake Havasu in Arizona. :cool:

I forgot about that one... :o(and I live down the road from havasu!) and maybe the $2000.00 pick-up mentioned by mr edwards wasn't a 'special' model. FOR SALE: a t-bird just like the '66 in 'thelma and louise' except it's a '67 and it's a hardtop and a different color....:D

Edited by mrspeedyt
spelling (see edit history)

I forgot about that one... :o(and I live down the road from havasu!) and maybe the $2000.00 pick-up mentioned by mr edwards wasn't a 'special' model. FOR SALE: a t-bird just like the '66 in 'thelma and louise' except it's a '67 and it's a hardtop and a different color....:D

Didn't that one go over the cliff...:confused: The End. Dandy Dave!

Guest Silverghost

Guys~

Wait until Feburary~

After all this hype~

I bet this "Rare Factory Supercharged Ford truck" pops-up at the next Barrett~Jackson Auction for all those more money than brains hotshots to bid big bucks on !

No WAY Ford bought back this Streetrod !

Edited by Silverghost (see edit history)

Guest Gary Hearn

One has to remember that pickups were strictly utilitarian vehicles when this truck was built. Unlike today, they were sold to people who actually had a need for them, i.e. farmers, contractors, etc. The last thing on their minds would have been going fast in their work vehicle.

Surprised no one noticed the period spark plug wires...

Good eye; those spark plug wires came in electric blue, red (shown), fuscia, flame yellow, kelly green, and funkadelic purple so you could co-ordinate them to your truck's metal-flake commercial color.

I have cases full of 'em in their pretty NOS FoMoCo boxes, but they're stored away with my six '76 Eldo ragtops, every one of which was the very last one built.

TG