A man named...Coupe

trimacar

Working with a gentleman in Califonia, and was told to call "Coop." Of course, Ithought it was short for Cooper.. On a phone call, holding for another person, and we started talking...short for Cooper? No, he said, that's my name. Spelled? "C..O..U..P..E..," you know like a Duece Coupe.....wow....I'm into cars, your parents really named you Coupe?

Yes, my father's big into rods, and he even made a point of it being on my birth certificate.

I'm trying to picture in my mind...going to my wife....OK, here are the choices for a name...tudor, fordor, sedan, roadster, cabriolet, phaeton,.....oh, wait, how about Coupe???....and what a wonderful women she must be, she agreed!

David,

Your wife has known, for many, many years that we both are nutz-O!, but neither of us would go quite that far.

It was not until many weeks after Naming our Daughter Charla Anne, that my former brother-in-law pointed out that her initials spelled "CAR".

Yikes....never thought of that... but still--- ask your wife to name a son or daughter after a car body style....I like it.....dc

My son's middle name is Franklin....not because I had a 1929 Franklin, but because it is a family name.

Dale just reminded me:

Our son Evan's middle name is Dale's Family Name -- Welsch;

That makes his initials " EWR ",

and no, he is not named for Newark International Airport

Edited by Marty Roth
typo (see edit history)

Although I had an MG at the time, we named my first Austin (a boy). When the second bot came I began the campaign to continue in the vein of British sports car names. We (should be read as I) looked at morris, riley, woolsley (big hit that one!!), Oxford (really sam she said) and of course the name that implies that the child's existence proves we overcame adversity, Triumph. My son is now ten and Carl Alexander Barnett is very glad that mommy won that arguement (and all others, of course). I suggested then that we could start a herd of dogs and name them after each of the british marques at which point my wife reminded me that when things got bad, the dogs would band together as the Barnett Mongrell Corps and eliminate the pooches that were not as marketable as the others, then commence to putting pieces and parts from one dog into another, diluting the Corps and wreaking havoc towards the eventual disillusion of the Corps. We have one dog named for a card game.

I have been involved in AACA since 1968. Son's birth was planned around Hershey. His mom enjoyed horse shows and we quite often went to horse shows in Devon, PA which of course was one of the early locations of pre Hershey Hershey. The choice of names seemed obvious. Our son, now my business partner, is Devon.

Although I had an MG at the time, we named my first Austin (a boy). When the second bot came I began the campaign to continue in the vein of British sports car names. We (should be read as I) looked at morris, riley, woolsley (big hit that one!!), Oxford (really sam she said) and of course the name that implies that the child's existence proves we overcame adversity, Triumph. My son is now ten and Carl Alexander Barnett is very glad that mommy won that arguement (and all others, of course). I suggested then that we could start a herd of dogs and name them after each of the british marques at which point my wife reminded me that when things got bad, the dogs would band together as the Barnett Mongrell Corps and eliminate the pooches that were not as marketable as the others, then commence to putting pieces and parts from one dog into another, diluting the Corps and wreaking havoc towards the eventual disillusion of the Corps. We have one dog named for a card game.

"Uno" or "Poker"??

Here's my daughter Shelby washing our Shelby just before it sold in 1981. Her name was jokingly suggested by my sister-in-law since we had 2 previous Shelby's and 1 Sunbeam Tiger before this one. It was a done deal when my wife found the name in a book of possible baby names. Although often teased over the years I don't believe my daughter ever really regreted our choice and it just seemed to fit right in when we moved to Georgia!

Howard Dennis

post-33891-143138362265_thumb.jpg

Tom and Fran Wosniak in New York have twin boys named Maxwell and Mitchell. And yes, they have one of each. Don't know what they'll do if they produce a girl. Buy an Austin, maybe?

Gil Fitzhugh, Morristown, NJ

I think Austin is a boy's name like,"Austin Powers" but Healy could be a girl's name.Then there were fictional characters like"Nash Bridges" or "Ford Fairlane". There was a Ford Frick in baseball and Mercury Morris in football. Finally,remember Dagmar you oldtimers?

I believe Dagmar was known for having the type of endowment know to later generations as Dolly Partons. But I agree Austin is (perhaps not exclusively) a boy's name. The head of our neighborhood association is Austin Godfrey, and he's about 6 foot three. Susan's Minerva suggestion is better than my Austin.

I had that one in reserve. When Porsche didn't fly I kinda dropped the idea.

I'm just glad Dave Thomas' daughter wasn't named Hermione or Esmerelda.:D

Man, they just closed down the Wendys back here. Said that there was not enough business. I did my part to try to keep them open ever Monday after our weekly shopping was done. I always said that Hudson NY could kill any business. They even closed a KFC that was here 30 some odd years ago. Who ever heard of a KFC going under, let alone a Wendys??? :( It cost about a buck more than Micky D's, or Burger King. But the menu included salads and other stuff that the others do not. I guess in a depressed area the folks are pinching ever buck they can.

Nuf said. Back to name callin... :P Dandy Dave!

Tom and Fran Wosniak in New York have twin boys named Maxwell and Mitchell. And yes, they have one of each. Don't know what they'll do if they produce a girl. Buy an Austin, maybe?

I guess an Austin Princess would work.

When my wife was pregnant the last time I told her I was going to name the boy "Bentley Royce" but she would not hear to that. Said she didn't want a child named after an automobile. She finally agreed to name him Bradley Phillip. Guess she never heard of a Bradley.

Then there was that guy who named his car company after his daughter....let me see....I think her name was Mercedes...

Actually, a guy wanting to sell Daimler automobiles made a deal with Mr. Daimler to sell all the cars he'd build if he would name them Mercedes after the salesman's daughter.

Which reminds me of something my mom used to tell me. Said she couldn't get my Dad to settle on a name for my oldest brother. Every name she'd mention would remind him of someone or something and he'd balk. Finally he came in one day and asked her if she would object to the name "Stuart Warner." She said she was so tired of waiting that she was ready to agree to anything so the deed was done. A few weeks later they were out driving and came upon a billboard advertising Stewart Warner gauges. Dad wanted to know if she had ever heard of that company. When she said yes, he demanded to know why she let him give the boy that name and she told him that she had reached the point that she wanted to get him named and get it over with.

Emille Jellinek was a salesman charged with promoting the model about to be brought out by Daimler Benz, a revolutionary design layout that set the pattern for most cars ever built; front inline engine under a hood (bonnet) with rear wheel drive. He thought Daimler sounded too Germanic so he substituted his daughter's name "Mercedes", Gottlieb died soon after so that ceased to be a problem

Edited by Dave Mellor NJ (see edit history)

Guest Kingoftheroad

I'd name my kids or pet, etc. after a car but, I don't think I'd name any one or anything Edsel . Got nothing against the Edsel car or Ford, just seems like a weird name...

Guest Gary Hearn

Before my oldest child was born we were searching for names, both male and female. At the time I was heavily into antique tractors and offered up John Deere, Oliver, Allis Chalmers among others. My wife actually liked Avery, but alas we had a daughter and she was named Sara.

Later on we had a litter of cars born on the porch of a house we were building. We kept one of the kittens and I named it Cletrac, after Rollin White's crawler line.