Fuel Gauge - Digital Dash

Guest TwoDoorBuickMan

I went through three sending units over the past year on my digidash-equipped '84 Seville. I don't know if it's reformulated gas, lack of use or just an age thing, but each unit I had installed worked for a short while and crapped out within a couple of months.

Neither GM nor the aftermarket provides replacements. I've just sent a unit off to be rebuilt to John Wolf & Co. who indicated that it would run $ 150.00 and they'll guarantee it for a year. Haven't gotten it back yet, but the price is reasonable and the fella I spoke to on the phone seemed knowledgeable and confident in their abilities.

Given that our cars were produced on a shared platform, we probably use the same sending unit. My P&I Catalog shows 25002276 as the part number for E/K Cadillacs with digital dash. If having your car laid-up while awaiting your sending unit to be rebuilt is a problem for you, I'd be open to sending you the unit presently in my car when my working replacement comes in so you'd be able get that rebuilt and just swap sending units in one procedure. Obviously you would need to confirm the part #.

Guest TwoDoorBuickMan

Thanks for the tip. I talked to John Wolf & Co. today and felt very encouraged. I appreciate the offer of a loaner, but I probably won't be driving it until spring.

Thanks again!

• 2 years later...
Guest ralph85
Does anyone know if a digital fuel gauge sender can be repaired? Does anyone offer a replacement? The car is a 1985 Riviera.

Yes they can! Contact Andy at SUR&R 800-390-3996 or email andy@fuelsender.com

The cost is 139 plus shipping. There are NO replacements out there!

This is good info to know. Last account I had no one could find anyone who would repair them because they said they could not guarantee how accurate they could get them. I have no idea but if I need one of mine done I'll try one of these. Please come back to the this thread and let us know how your repairs turn out.

I will caution others with digital dashes that are working. IF you have to drop your gas tank for other related repairs be VERY careful removing and replacing the sending unit. I had to replace the fuel pump on my T-type with digital dash. We reused the sending unit but after it had been "disturbed" it started flashing double dashes occasionally ever since.

Guest turbofish38

Hi Jayson. Long time no talk to. I'm going to add my .02 as far as digital dashes go. I've owned so many digital dash Buicks I've lost count. Anyway I'd treat the Riviera just like I would my Grand National. Even though Buick and GM listed seperate part numbers for the sending units at one time GM combined the two as their supply became obsolete. Now I have a few threads over at tb.com detailing the problems on interchanging these units. Even though there is a small variance in the resistance they do interchange with only a minor issue with the accuracy. I cant remember how it goes but if you replace the digital with the analog it will read a gallon or two optimistic. In other words when the "E" is flashing there is 2 gallons still in the tank where as the correct unit would have you running on fumes. Or it might be vice a versa. It's been a long time since I did anything on them. OK now the closest model to the 84-85 SFI Turbo Riviera would be any 81-85 DFI Cadillac ElDorado or Seville. These Cadillacs used an analog gauge with a digital being optional. I've often wondered if you couldn't get one of those units to work. You might have to splice the electrical connector but it accepts the EFI style fuel pump and if you go over to rockauto.com they have them listed. From the looks of the picture they have the same pressure,return and vent lines on it. I've never done this swap so caveat emptor if you decide to go this route. Now I have also used parts from other GM cars with digital dashes(i.e. ParkAve,LeSabre,86-93 Riviera) to rebuild the factory units. An afternoon playing around in your local U-Pull-It will usually net you something to play around with assuming the car isn't your DD. The yards around me will let you bring your old stuff into the yard to match up. Again somewhere over on www.turbobuick.com and www.turbobuicks.com I have a few threads on how I did this. I hope this gives you some insight on what you might be able to do to repair yours and save a little time and money at the same time.

Guest ralph85

If you can verify it comes out of a vehicle with Digital or verify the part # 25002276 go for it!

Since there's no way that they can test it, treat it as a non-functional part when you talk$$.

The normal core value for these is at $50 so I wouldn't go much over.

Keep in touch.

Guest ralph85
If you can verify it comes out of a vehicle with Digital or verify the part # 25002276 go for it!

Since there's no way that they can test it, treat it as a non-functional part when you talk$$.

The normal core value for these is at $50 so I wouldn't go much over.

Keep in touch.

DAVES89..

I have located a non-working unit in California! It too is at the $50 price.. same as core charge.

Thanks for taking the time to look for me. I'm going to ask my source if more 'cores' are available.

I will post here if there are.

Thanks again DAVES89