Sign in to follow this  
oldcar

What cars does this Waltham clock fit?

I have recently purchased this clock along with some other instruments for my 1923 Packard. It obviously does not come from this model Packard. Can anyone identify what make/model car it came from. It is a Waltham 8 day approx 3 inched in diameter, 1 inch deep. It has the original beveled edge glass. it runs nicely and keeps reasonably good time sitting on my shelf.

old car

post-51681-143138361209_thumb.jpg

post-51681-143138361213_thumb.jpg

post-51681-143138361218_thumb.jpg

It is the same size and shape as the one I just picked up for the 27 Marmon except for mine has a white face and no second hand. I paid about 40 for mine and a friend at Hershey says I highly overpaid, that they are available at a lower price regularly in the watch collecting circles (they must be the dastardly nogood vehicle picking grave robbers that got mine in the first place).

Golly gosh!

I paid a lot more for this one. Perhaps I had better come on buying trips to America as I have been basing the prices I pay on what things cost here in Australia or at big "Auto-jumbles" like Beaulieu in the England. I had always thought that Walham made a quality clock on a par with Jagaer or some Swiss made clocks. I would have never guessed that they were only cheap junk mass produced in America. This one has all the appearances of a real quality item.

You live and learn. Perhaps all my friends who will only drive English and European cars are right after all.

Old Car (DRIVER)

1923 Packard 126

1934 Lagonda Rapier

1985 Alfa Romeo 33.

$40.00 was a heck of a deal! They usually go for more like $200.00 or more.

Certainly IF it is only worth $40 I may as well just put it on the shelf with all my other misguided purchases. My real question was what cars were they originally fitted to?

old car (DRIVER)

1923 Packard 126

1934 Lagonda Rapier

1985 Alfa Romeo 33

Depending on the movement,,,Cadillac,Packard Lincoln Duesemberg,,etc,,,the cases changed,,The larger case,,AND the wind indicator,,probably Lincoln or Caddy,,I drove Packards,,and only had a tocan Cady and Lincoln,,,v-16 and od town car respectivly,,memories,,Some of the cheeper clocks at f market,,have only one of the 2 main springs in tact,,,they were dual power,,!!! that's how they got the 8 days,,neat trick,,Ben

Does anyone have a Whittington striker,,,3"-4"case auto clock,,or equivalent???,,Ben

Years ago I read an exposition by Ned Jordan of his philosophy of building cars. He started with the idea that by 1920, it was possible to build a high grade chassis of "assembled" parts and build a car comparable to the expensive models, at low cost.

He went on to describe how he gave his customers value for their money - bodies copied from the best custom built designs, $8 a yard Laidlaw upholstery, Waltham clock and other costly fittings and accessories.

So, in the twenties it appears that a Waltham clock was de rigeur in expensive cars.

Waltham was a very high-grade auto clock~

Chelsea was much more costly and often the clock-works were actually gold plated !

Both are used on very high-end autos of the 20s-30s !

I believe your clock has radioactive radium painted numbers and hands~

It will possibly no longer glow in the dark... BUT~

BEWAWRE~

It is still radioactive !

The paint gets dull and dark after decades~

You should have it professionally cleaned and lubed with clock oil to get proper time regulation !

The mainsprings are lubed also and this ol lube is possibly dried-up and stiff now after all these years.

$40. is a crazy low price~

I only wish I could find stuff that cheap here in the USA !

Not really realistic ~

I need a clock EXACTLY like your Waltham clock for my Springfield Rolls~Royce Phantom I

This one is 7 jewel movement with second hand and wind indicator. Probably an aftermarket/custom case , so you can bring it in and put it on your bedside table at night,which makes it rather exclusive.

post-65304-143138372077_thumb.jpg

post-65304-14313837208_thumb.jpg

post-65304-143138372082_thumb.jpg

Edited by cben09 (see edit history)

Sorry to respond so slowly but I bought that on the field at Hershey. He asked 60 we bargained and voila.... It runs perfectly for more than a week so I guess both springs work!! They are all over ebay foe 60 to 75 a piece - use the numerical 8 not the word eight when searching

I have an Old Waltham 8 day Car Clock very big it runs and stops but it is a very nice piece circa 1925 for sale $80 dollars paypal 

and if you want more pictures let me know, I will also list it with Cars and Coffee people if your interested please don't hesitate to contact me. 

22c30d14fb39dbeddb84bb358add3abc.jpg

Considering Sam's report on finding his clock at Hershey, I can tell you it's a treasure hunt out there, and what keeps me coming back.   I collect too much stuff and a nice clock sometimes comes home.  Last year I bought a nice cased Waltham for $45 and it cleaned up beautifully, and ticks like it is supposed to.   Sure, you find them for $150+ but to find the bargains you gotta run faster than us cheapies out there in the swap meets!

Terry

On November 27, 2010 at 3:30 PM, old car fan said:

I agree with keiser.i will buy them all day long for 40 bucks,Working.Now where are these 40 doller clocks?

If you go to the National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors regional meets, you can easily find them from $20. I purchased several at the Fountain Hill regional in AZ and didn't pay any more than $40. Even bought two that were of the rear view mirror type. Of course, some were not working and most were in need of cleaning and or new balance wheel staffs. 

• Like 1

I have a Waltham car clock, circa 1914, 7 jewels. My father and grandfather were both watchmakers.   I found this one in a carton where it had been stored for more than 50 years.   I wound it up, and after seven days it was only off by four minutes.  (Fast). Waltham made great watches and clocks right in Massachusetts.   There aren’t many mechanical watches and clocks that could be stored in garages, and attics for five decades, and still be essentially perfect.  

A5684D41-99A6-4FD6-B52F-1B6C81E59662.jpeg

Edited by Russellini
Add photo (see edit history)

Waltham built very high grade pocket watches, some of the best available. A Waltham watch was presented to Abraham Lincoln as a gift after the Gettysburg address.

40 bucks for that seems very cheap.

There was also a Waltham steam car, although not the same company:

image.png.cee97a04f5893cba4d30663f3e70a58b.png

Old car -

Late teens and very early twenties Kissel Kars used Waltham rim-wind clocks such as you have pictured. 

Most were scavenged thru the decades and have been replaced with Pheeney-Walker rim-wind clocks used on Kissels in the mid and later twenties (as pictured).

If yours is for sale, please PM me.

Thanks, Ron Hausmann 

CD737406-9054-4312-9402-5D7F8977AAA5.jpeg