Krause 'Standard Catalog' books

I've worn out 2 copies of the "S.C. of American Cars '46-75". I bought the 2nd one (3rd edition, 1992) in the late '90s. Back cover is marked '$27.95' and I know I paid exactly that. In thinking I would treat myself to a 3rd copy that was not hemorrhaging pages, I check Amazon.

3 new from $259.95 4 used from $90.00.

KNOWing there was some sort of mistake :confused: I checked Barnes&Noble.

Used starting at $145.99.

What in the blue blazes is going on here?? 3rd edition had 864 pages, current one has 975... so the book gains 13% more pages and the price increases by 89%. This, and my copy is splattered with hand-written corrections.

Anyone know what happened here ??? Is Krause on crack?

Guest ken bogren

Well the 1805-1942 version had gotten to 400 - 600 dollars on the used book sites.....

... then it got reissued at about 74.95.

(Having worn my old copy to a frazzle, I bought 2 at the reissue price.)

1805-1942 has 1600 pages and is $75, 1946-1975 has 975 pages and $259.

Highway robbery on both counts.

What I don't understand is how these volumes are suddenly 'investment grade' even tho brand new. F+W is obviously limiting printing...

For some reason they never reissued the general editions of this series*, and it was withdrawn before a lot of people knew about it. Now they want to promote the individual marque editions, which appear with the frequency of rabbit litters (and are worth about as much as rabbit litter).

So as a used item, these things sell on supply and demand. They've become collector items of their own accord. I wish I'd have had the foresight to buy one when they were new. Or 100.:)

=====================

*Until this latest, very limited $75 reissue. They know a cash cow when they see it.

Edited by Dave@Moon (see edit history)

I would not be too quick to throw rocks at Krause.

Related items:

We currently subscribe to three newspapers. All three have more than DOUBLED in price in the last 3 years.

After trying to buy a used shop manual on Ebay for a 10 year old lawn and garden tractor we just bought, I went to the dealer to find the cost was $200. That's right, $200 for a service manual for a lawn mower. The parts guy, who has been a friend for many years, told me the pricing was because of a huge reduction in the numbers of copies sold, as the young people all buy the manual on CD (which is a LOT cheaper).

Even our benevolent government is no longer furnishing income tax forms, one has to print one's own (or use online).

My guess is printing costs have skyrocketed for some reason unbeknown to me.

And (opinion), the Standard Catalog is still the first general book I would suggest to any enthusiast.

Jon.

As of this fall our phone supplier, Verizon, has quit printing and mailing out white pages phone books. They say it is too hard to keep up with cell phones, frequent number changes, no land lines, etc. and no one uses a book anymore. They are still doing yellow pages but , of course, they get paid for listings in that......

Guest Angelo Van Bogart

I hope I can answer some questions posed earlier:

The Standard Catalog of American Cars 1805-1942 have never been sold for more than $100 by the publisher (Krause Publications). Those prices are from secondary-market sellers (Amazon vendors, eBay sellers, etc.).

This book was republished earlier this year in a limited quantity and is nearly sold out again. It is $75, but has been offered as low as $59.95 during sales. I am not sure if or when this may happen again.

The Standard Catalog of American Cars 1946-75 is also expected to be reprinted in 2011, so if they're more than $100 on eBay, Amazon, etc., I recommend waiting to save some bucks.

Hope that helps.

I have the 1st & 3rd editions. 1st had what I thought was very good- a illustrated 'dictionary' of body style names & where they came from. Too many folk get this all twisted, esp as the manufacturers play it fast-n-loose with the names, like "4-door coupe". By rights, there's only 1 '4-dr coupe' and it's a body like this: http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q91/autodoc/Mvc-010f.jpg

I think I paid about $20-25.00 for my 1805-1942 1st edition and it is getting well worn but still useful. Also have the 1946-1975, 1976-1999, and Light Truck volumes plus several of the dedicated volumes such as the Independents, Chrysler, Mustang. They are indispensable but errors are common in them; especially concerning engine displacements so I have to wonder about other figures but the production numbers seem to pretty well match up with other sources of information. I suspect that it wasn't a lack of knowledge but the fact that with a work of this magnitude errors will creep in. They're still better than the British books about American automobiles that can't even get the model year right on photo captions. Maybe I'll spring $75.00 for the 1805-1942 eventually before my copy comes apart.

RAWJA,

Thanks for the "heads-up" on the 1946-1975 on Ebay.

I bid, and got it for $16.01 PLUS $6.05 shipping -- Total $ 22.06 and the seller seems pleased, as I am.

Marty

Funny thing is I'm pretty sure I've got the previous editions of these in a box somewhere.. Got to track them down and put 'em up on ebay.

Speaking of "fraught with errors" The Standard Catalog of Light Duty Trucks (3rd Ed.) has listings for the '90-96 Lumina APV and subsequent '97-00 Venture but nothing whatsoever for the Pontiac Trans Sport, Montana or Oldsmobile Silhouette. Surprising to miss models so recent and with such relatively high production numbers.

• 3 weeks later...

When the most recent Catalog of Buick came out circa '04, Krause featured it in their color mailer with a readable page from the book. Not only were there numerous typographical/layout issues (numbers not under their column headings; instead 'tabbed' back to the 1st column), but very inconsistent photo captions and yes; the wrong year Buick shown.

Having been in publishing in a prior millennium, I can empathize with the vastness of these volumes... and absolutely can forgive occasional mistakes getting into print. But when 1 random page is this rough.... well... Krause surely can step up their proofreading.

While I'd prefer impeccable quality, I don't overly mind correcting my own copy.

But I hate the idea that others who are actively learning info from these otherwise excellent books are getting misled.

I would gladly proofread a pre-print copy for a few free post-print volumes to round out my library.

Rather than look for a quick profit, I think I'll just keep the $16.01 Book in our library, near the Citroen Shop Manual.

Still can't find my 1895 - 1945 Catalog - It must be here somewhere. I'll likely find it when I go looking for this one.

Edited by Marty Roth
CRS (see edit history)

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...