AC CHANGES TO ECON MODE? 1990 REATTA

Guest daveagain909

Guest daveagain909

Does anyone have any idea what might be causing the AC to go off and change to the Econ mode, And can only be reset by removing ground to battery and waiting 15 seconds then reinstalling the ground cable. and then it runs PROPERLY for quite a while? I can not pin the problem down to any other function that i am doing to cause the AC to turn off. I have the ac temp set at 60 degrees. or at 65 degrees. sometimes it will go for 2 days before it shuts off but always restarts by removing ground. Help needed.

Edited by daveagain909
wording (see edit history)

The BCM is sensing a problem and shutting down the a/c

First have the charge checked, if the sysem has been converted to 134A it can be sensing a high or low pressure condition, some time that happens.

Pull the current and history codes in OBD, see if there are any pertaining to the AC system. There should be, since the forced ECON mode is commanded by the BCM in response to a detected problem, and is meant to protect the system against damage caused by running it on a low charge or other problem.

If the charge is good, it could be an intermittent bad pressure sensor tripping a code and causing the compressor to shut off. If it is sometimes running good for 2 days before a problem, I'd be less inclined to suspect a blockage of debris (or "black sludge" if a poor R-12 to 134A conversion was done) in the system causing bad pressure readings, but this is also a possibility especially at the orifice tube.

KDirk

• 2 weeks later...
Guest daveagain909

Sorry I have been away from the forum for a while. Now it is very cold here in Raleigh and car is staying here in Raleigh for a while, This is what I understand I need to do. 1. check Freon level. 2. if that is not the problem I should check codes. 3. probably need to replace the pressure sensor. I am assuming that is the low pressure sensor? Not the High pressure sensor? If this is not the correct thing to do please let me know.

Guest Richard D

I bet if you were to find and jump the low pressure switch, do the battery disconnect thing it will not go into econ. However with low freon you are not getting proper oil circulating through the system so do not run it bypassed for long.