Opinions on this 1965 GS

Guest Rob J

This car appeared on e-bay yesterday, and already the bid has taken off from 5k to where it is now (Reserve is still not met). It looks like a very original car, but who knows the truth. If all the numbers check out, ie LX motor, correct carbs, BS tranny, 3.42 rear end, is this a reasonable deal at the "Buy It Now" price? I spoke to the seller briefly today, and he claims everything matches, and that he has the protecto plates for the car. It seems to have good options, and a good color.

He claims the car runs and drives well, and the clam shells work.

It's kinda hard to gauge the market these days.

I really want to buy a GS, but at the same time, I don't want to get taken.

Opinions from the pro's here needed.

Thanks, Rob.

Buick : Riviera - eBay (item 170569807506 end time Dec-02-10 13:17:30 PST)

Edited by Rob J (see edit history)

Guest Gee_Rydes

My 2 cents...

I am surprised it went for over $6K even though it is a GS.

Looks like it was in a low place in New Orleans in 2005.

Ask Patrick here, he'll tell you how much money the new owner has ahead of him. He might break even if he is doing ALL the work himself.

I still don't understand why people are so enamored of the 65 Riviera GS unless it is totally fleshed out.

As it sits I am looking at a bid of $11,900 with reserve met. (Buy it Now exercised)

For: a posi, some badges and a fast 2x4 motor. Body is the same, interior same as a 'nice' 65 Riviera with a 401 and same interior and same body.

There is another one on this forum that had the original 425 yanked many years ago but has everything else - for $2000.

This is a "hype" auction no different then someone putting a silly Dodge Challenger on ebay with no motor, no trans and no interior but "Galen Govier" says it's a rare car so someone pays $25,000 for a carcass.

Back to the "GS" Riviera, who cares if the clamshells work, this car needs a total and that's $50,000 plus. Doing an LX - you want to treat that ultra rare block and heads like a baby, that's $10,000 right there. Ditto the trans, $2500.

Looking at the surface rust on the power steering pump, power brake booster etc - this is a rusty car.

$11,600 is stupid money for this car. Project GS with original drivetrains pop up all the time on craigs list and are sold for under $10,000 easy.

But again why? Can someone explain to me why everyone has to own a 65 GS Riviera - the "Chevy Camaro" of the Buick collectors world?

Edited by BJM (see edit history)

Wow, I can't believe this car sold in one day for $11,900. Seems like a lot of money for a car that needs a complete restoration.

I would of paid 6k for that car, but $11,900 seems too high, especially in this economy.

I'm not sure how legit this auction was. I spoke to the seller yesterday, and he was hesitant in giving me all the numbers on the car.

Oh well, my search for a 65 GS continues. I'll find one eventually, in no rush.

Rob.

I agree, IMHO $11,900 is stupid money for a car that needs a total.

As to why we, and I want a GS. Here's my simple answer. Gotta love the 425 Dual Quad motor. What's not to like about that rare motor. 65 was a very unique year for the Riviera, and the only year that I have any desire to own. I do like 63,64, 66,67 ect... but not enough to really want to own one, (unless I came across a no brainer deal)

The GS had a special transmission, it had a posi rear end. All in all, only 3,354 Riviera GS's were made in 1965. So yes, it is a desirable car.

Rob,

Yea you never know. Its possible someone local went and looked at it. If it was better than expected, solid underneath, numbers matching, that could have clinched it.

It was a little higher than expected but as you are learning a legitimate 65 Riv GS attracts lots of competition in bidding.

I know you are anxious to find a car. Be patient - something will turn up sooner or later. No matter what though stay focused on the facts and don't let emotion be a factor when buying a car "especially" if you can't see it or have someone knowledgeable inspect the car for you. It is rare to find a seller who will be forthcoming on the weak points of a car. You can't assume anything.

I went and looked at a car locally for someone in KY who was interested in it. Talking to the seller and looking at pics it seemed like a solid deal but after viewing the car the list of problems not revealed by the seller was quite long. This was a good reminder about how careful you have to be buying a car sight unseen.

I agree with you Jason, thanks for keeping me in line. lol

I'm anxious in a way (but not really), but will not buy a car where I can't verify all the numbers. Less than easy to deal with sellers in my experience usually raise red flags. I have bought and sold many cars in my life, so I know how the transaction should be.

I'm maintaining my patience, and waiting for the right one to come along. GS's are rare, but not extraordinary rare, which I feel is a good thing.

Rob. :)

I have a very good if not expert opinion on this car as I sold it to the Ebay seller 3 weeks before this auction appeared...I had it price locally at $6500 at took much less.

When I read the auction description my jaw hit the floor...speaking of floors, this car needed a complete pan from front to rear including inside rocker panels and lord only knows what was behind the rocker panel moldings-I never removed them. I disclosed the issues with underbody rust in my initial phone call with the Ebay seller.The seller described the car in the Ebay auction as never any rust???? Aside from the under car issues the lower rear quarters were very obviously very soft, etc.....hope the new owner has a forgiving soul as, in my OPINION, at the selling price level, he is in for an unpleasant surprise. How can two individuals (myself and the Ebay seller) be so far apart in evaluating a car?

Having stated the above this GS was an all numbers matching including Protecto plate car. All the little fasteners and brackets were in place, the interior was actually pretty nice and the car ran like a raped ape. I owned it for 5 or 6 years having obtained it in a partially dismantled condition. I wanted to see the car preserved in one piece as it was so original including documentation so I put it back together, used it to run errands and the infrequent midnight ride. I suspect this car will be rebodied, and aside from the obvious legal pitfalls involved, is a great candidate for same.

The `65 Riv GS has been recognized as a classic car since inception..and for more reasons than this two finger typer has patience to document. Classic cutting edge styling, even by today`s standards, comfort and convenience items and as much SUBSTANCE as most any casual performance enthusiast can handle. This car is not an emblem package with alot of hype, they perform!

Have a great Thanksgiving guys,

Tom Mooney

Guest rayvaflav
I have a very good if not expert opinion on this car as I sold it to the Ebay seller 3 weeks before this auction appeared...I had it price locally at $6500 at took much less.

When I read the auction description my jaw hit the floor...speaking of floors, this car needed a complete pan from front to rear including inside rocker panels and lord only knows what was behind the rocker panel moldings-I never removed them. I disclosed the issues with underbody rust in my initial phone call with the Ebay seller.The seller described the car in the Ebay auction as never any rust???? Aside from the under car issues the lower rear quarters were very obviously very soft, etc.....hope the new owner has a forgiving soul as, in my OPINION, at the selling price level, he is in for an unpleasant surprise. How can two individuals (myself and the Ebay seller) be so far apart in evaluating a car?

Having stated the above this GS was an all numbers matching including Protecto plate car. All the little fasteners and brackets were in place, the interior was actually pretty nice and the car ran like a raped ape. I owned it for 5 or 6 years having obtained it in a partially dismantled condition. I wanted to see the car preserved in one piece as it was so original including documentation so I put it back together, used it to run errands and the infrequent midnight ride. I suspect this car will be rebodied, and aside from the obvious legal pitfalls involved, is a great candidate for same.

The `65 Riv GS has been recognized as a classic car since inception..and for more reasons than this two finger typer has patience to document. Classic cutting edge styling, even by today`s standards, comfort and convenience items and as much SUBSTANCE as most any casual performance enthusiast can handle. This car is not an emblem package with alot of hype, they perform!

Have a great Thanksgiving guys,

Tom Mooney

This is a great example of how small the '65 Gran Sport community is. If you are looking at a '65 GS, chances are someone here has prior knowledge of that same car. Nice work Tom, I'm not gonna buy another high profile Riviera without checking on this site.

Ray

Guys, I have a friend of mine whom deals with buying and selling classic cars. This is the note he sent me today.

"There is an open buy order for 8, 65 Rivieras on one of the movie lists I subscribe to. Clearly they will be a pivotal centerpiece for some type of up coming film, or they would not need so many of them This may explain why some of the cars are selling quickly."

This friend of mine was one of the guys responsible for buying the 100+ 69 Chargers used in the "Dukes of Hazzard" show in the 80's

Maybe this car was one of those.

How can two individuals (myself and the Ebay seller) be so far apart in evaluating a car?

Simple Tom, he is dishonest. I spoke to the ebay seller, and did not get a warm and peachy feeling. I certainly could tell from his tone of voice and demeanor he was not telling the whole truth, and he seemed bothered while I was asking certain questions. On top of that, he told me he had had the car for over a year.

Can't trust anybody these days. He certainly made a nice profit on it though.

I would of bought that car from you, and it would of ended up in good hands. :D

Rob.

Guest Gee_Rydes

I sold my champagne 65 single loaded 425 3 years ago as a very clean driver. It was a very nice looking DRIVER.

Over night, it turned into a nut and bolt restoration and the new owner is now trying to sell it for $12K more than he paid ME.

Still being advertised as a nut and bolt deal to this day.