Locomobile model 48 diff

Craig Gillingham

WOW~ These were very High-end grand cars made between 1911 and 1924 ! The 48 was not the first model after they switched from steam car production.

Charlie Chaplin & CB De Mille owned these rare and very expensive autos.

Rodman Wanamaker's (the Dept;Store King's Son) 48 still exists in my general area today !

Their engine was approx 7 liters !

Don Williams of the Blackhawk Museum Collection sold one about nine years ago at his Hershey auction.

How much of this great & rare car remain ?

What shape is it in ?

Do you have any photos to post ?

What is the asking price if you don't mind me asking ?

If it were farly complete and restorable other than that missing diff. gearbox I would take a chance at buying it if I were you !

It s extremely rare !

This Diff might be very tough to find as any Locomobile is fairly rare~

Some Parts and projects are out there~

Never say never~

It just won't be very easy !

There is a Locomobile Club and association.

Good Luck with your search ~

Buy this Locomobile 48 !

Edited by Silverghost (see edit history)

Craig....... I think I know of this car you are thinking about. I can supply a complete rear axle and most of anything else that you need.

If it is the car I am thinking of I have supplied parts to one of the past owners.

I have worked on several of them and have one of my own...... Send me an email or PM.....T-H

Hello, thank you for the replies. I've followed it up, and it's a "little bit" out of my price range. I'll have to drop the idea.

See the link below for photos;

http://www.bonhams.com/cgi-bin/public.sh/WService=wslive_pub/pubweb/publicSite.r?sContinent=AUS&screen=lotdetailsNoFlash&iSaleItemNo=4776604&iSaleNo=19040&iSaleSectionNo=2

Going by my 1920 US car price guide, they were the most expensive car listed at the time at $8200. Also listed was the Brewster $7400, McFarlane $5000, Pierce-Arrow 48 $7750, Cadillac $3490, all those compared to a T model Ford at $525, gives you an idea of price difference.

Still, they are a very impressive car. And I agree, that there are still rare parts out there, just have to find them.

Craig

Edited by Craig Gillingham
terrible spelling (see edit history)

Craig:

I checked-out your auction link. Any Locomobile is an impressive car~~~

This project owner should have taken the high auction bid.

There is way too much needed on that project to make it practical at his reserve in my opinion.

You could easily spend four times this money to actually finish this project.

You have to wonder why this current owner had not finished it himself ?

The B&W photo of a similar finished Locomobile speedster on the auction link is indeed fantastic !

I suspect that this project owner will end up selling this project for much much less money !

By the way this was not the most expensive car sold at this time~

A typical Rolls~Royce , Isotta, or Hispano, could easily sell for $15,000 or more at this time period !

• 5 years later...

Craig....... I think I know of this car you are thinking about. I can supply a complete rear axle and most of anything else that you need.

If it is the car I am thinking of I have supplied parts to one of the past owners.

I have worked on several of them and have one of my own...... Send me an email or PM.....T-H

if you are who i think you are i have tried to contact you thru the old motor page which i happen to like very much.

if you are still able to help me find some parts for a 48 or even better to supply them please contact me directly at: hans.kirp@planet.nl