Inpressive large Tourer, - Cadillac?

Vintman

Hi Folks,

Just had a very interesting enquiry from New Zealand where I have identified an unusual American cyclecar, The Trumbull. If interested, have a look at part way down on Help Page 33 SVVS Web Assistance with Classic, Vintage and Veteran Cars .

In meantime, I have two more photos where I would much appreciate your help. This photo features a mighty impressive tourer with three rows of seats. Guess the middle ones are 'occasional'. I would have investigated Cadillac but the wheel hubs appear wrong.

Regards

Vintman (UK)

Classic Cars, Veteran Cars and Vintage Cars - The Surrey Vintage Vehicle Society

post-58492-143138359286_thumb.jpg

Hi all,

Thanks for your inputs and especial thanks to Chris for the lead, - and I think you could well be right Chris that it is indeed a car made by the Austin Automobile Co of Grand Rapids, Michigan. Looking at the Standard Catalog and photos on the web, it looks very much like an early cca 1911 car as right hand drive and non electric lights but having the 1912 'look' body and rad top shape. As all cars were hand built this would allow for change-over differences and as so many other pointers match, I guess you've nailed it. Pity cannot see the back of the rear spring as that would have confirmed it.

Thanks and Regards

Vintman (UK)

The Austin engine is big but not as big as the Pierce 66. I have some info for the 1914 models - the Austin 66 of 1914 was on a 141 in wheelbase and had a six of 4 1/2 x 6 bore and stroke for 572 cubes whereas the Pierce 66 was on a 147 1/2 in wheelbase and had a six of 5 x 7 bore and stroke for 825 cubes. For comparison the six cylinder engine seen in the many surviving six cylinder American LaFrance Type 12 pumping engines of that era - there is a 1917 example here in NZ (but originally from Iowa) - has a bore and stroke of 5 1/2 x 6 which comes out bigger again at 855 cubes. My book also shows a bigger LaFrance Type 15 pumping engine with a six of 7 1/8 x 8 which is 1914 cubic inches! I don't know whether there are any survivors of that model.

Hi, Everyone. First, congratualtions on this forum. I have been "visiting" for approx 2 yrs; but rarely post. So, please forgive my mistakes. When I saw Vintman's pic of an Austin; had to try & post these photo's.

My earlier photo is approx same yr as Vintmans'. Only difference I can see is that mine has clincher? tires. It is listed in Ohio Registry as 1910 Ser #50, 60hp. 2nd & 3rd photo's appear to be approx 1913 Austin. Has Ohio 1913 plate visible; which I have not yet looked up in Ohio Registry.

Both these Austins belonged to Adolf Heller of Youngstown, Ohio. He was an architect, who designed many of Youngstowns downtown buildings. The little girl with the bow in both photo's was my ex-wifes grandmother; Frieda Coen McConnell, who was one of the early female motorists in the youngstown area. She told me that on many sunday drives thru Mill Creek Park; everyone would hve to get out & look in the road for the rear wheel bearings??? before they could finish their ride.

Big beautiful automobiles! Does anyone know if the 1909 Austin pictured above is the ex-Barney Pollard Model XC that used to have a red hood? I have a photo of that car in early 70's in Clevelands' Fred Crawford Museum. I remember 2 other Austins from the past. One was an earlier restored car belonging to a Pettingell??? The other was an unrestored one which had been passed down thru several generations of a Wisconsin farm family. Approx 1910/11 vintage. Both of these cars were pictured in Antq. Auto magazine yrs. ago. Anybody have present knowledge of these or any others???

If anyone has anymore info on the youngstown cars or any of the others; I would appreciate hearing from them. "Slim" Tim Gary

post-50550-143138368478_thumb.jpg

post-50550-14313836849_thumb.jpg

post-50550-1431383685_thumb.jpg

Archived