built in xm radio

handmedownreatta

i tryed to find an xm radio that was panel mount so i could mount it on a steel plate but all i could find was one made for airplanes.as long as the battery is not disconnected the radio will work with the satelite by pushing play.if the battery goes dead i will have to temperarily plug the tape player back in to reset the radio.thats why i distroyed a junkyard tape player.i routed the tape player wires over to above the fusebox so i could access them easily.

What did you do to fool the CRT into thinking there's a tape?

Plug the tape player in once press play (do not disconect the battery). Disconect the tape deck. The CRT will switch to the inputs evey time you press play from then on. Reapeat if you lose battery power.

Pressing play also activates the second set of inputs.

Guest Mc_Reatta

To add to Daniel's response, there has to be a cassette in the tape player before you press play. There does not have to be any actual tape in the cassette, it is just to tell the deck logic circuit that there is a cassette in place ready to play. Whether or not the tape drive actually works works doesn't matter, so even if there is a problem with the tape drive itself, the deck can still be used to set up the use of the aux inputs as long as it will report via the data lines that it is there and ready to play.

• 1 year later...
using my limited talents i grafted a xm radio into an empty tape player box that got from pull a part.its not perfect but its good for now.the radiois about 1/16" wider than the tape player door and the same height with mount.

i cut a piece of plastic as a trim.im still not happy with it.i may redo it and center it.

post-59589-143138867484_thumb.jpg

Hook up that "hockey puck" antenna inside (and to the rear) of the trunk lid near the weather stripping. I know of someone who did that and no problems with reception (and the hockey puck is out of sight).

• 11 months later...

I look on the Reatta as a cool '80's experience and I have lots of great tapes, so I got Precision Radio in San Antonio (delcorepairs.com) to fix my cassette deck - works great now, and the original equipment will help me get collectors' plates on my '88 (at least that's the plan) - way cheaper insurance here. I must admit that the XM radio installation would be great, if my Reatta fails the collector test!

I look on the Reatta as a cool '80's experience and I have lots of great tapes, so I got Precision Radio in San Antonio (delcorepairs.com) to fix my cassette deck - works great now, and the original equipment will help me get collectors' plates on my '88 (at least that's the plan) - way cheaper insurance here. I must admit that the XM radio installation would be great, if my Reatta fails the collector test!

i think you meant to answer the other post.