Need advice locating a radiator for a grader

jim5618

I do not have the year handy, but my dad has a road grader from around the 30's or 40's. This was fully operational until some crud stole the radiator off of it. Does anyone know a source for old construction equipment parts? Is there a greate caterpilar graveyard somewhere?

Check to see if there is a local farm implement club. In my parts they have this organization called the New York Steam Engine Association. Every August they put on a show called the Pageant of Steam. At that event there are always a lot of not only steam powered tractors but older gas and diesel powered tractors and construction equipment. If there is an organization like that in my parts, there might be one in your area too.

I don't know if he has a website, but there is a guy in my parts by the name of Jeff Huff in Honeoye, New York. Jeff sells heavy equipment both new and old, and he also has a museum called "Vintage Tracks Museum." He might have something kicking around.

A

First thing you need to know is the model. If it is a Cat, the most common models at that time were The Model 12, the 112, and the 212. Many of the engine parts interchange with the Cat bulldozers. The 12 is the same engine as a D6, the 112 is the same engine as the D-4, and the 212 is the same engine as a D-2. Get the serial number and post it here and I will look it up for you and give you an idea of what will interchange. The early radiators are different than the later radiators in each series so it is very important to have the serial and suffix. If it is early to mid 1930's, it could be just about anything in cats number series and will be much harder to find parts for. Late 1930's into the 40's will be much easier. Dandy Dave!

sorry for the slow response, still trying to get the info from my Dad. I have no idea if it is a Cat, just mentioned it as I am not aware of other equipment from that period. My Mom said she thought is was more like a 1950. I will definately post as soon as I can as it is in Western Mass. Interesting to hear of the clubs as my dad has an ancient John Deere Bulldozer he kinda restored (in his own way)

Guest Silverghost

The very sad part here is that giant heavy radiator was possibly just stolen for it's scrap value in copper/brass.

Copper/Brass is at an all time high value now!

Around Phila & South jersey they are stealing copper pipe and outside shower plumbing, and outside central air coditioner condensor units !

Post a photo here and I bet someone will tell you exactly what you have there !

sorry for the slow response, still trying to get the info from my Dad. I have no idea if it is a Cat, just mentioned it as I am not aware of other equipment from that period. My Mom said she thought is was more like a 1950. I will definately post as soon as I can as it is in Western Mass. Interesting to hear of the clubs as my dad has an ancient John Deere Bulldozer he kinda restored (in his own way)

I'm right next to Mass, only about 10 Miles east of Great Barrington. He has to be fairly close. Dandy Dave!

The very sad part here is that giant heavy radiator was possibly just stolen for it's scrap value in copper/brass.

Copper/Brass is at an all time high value now!

Around Phila & South jersey they are stealing copper pipe and outside shower plumbing, and outside central air coditioner condensor units !

In my parts, they've been stealing bronze veteran's plaques off of headstones in cemeteries.....:mad::mad:

Dave...sure you don't mean west of Great Barrington? you tag says NY. Yes he is close, the grader is in Peru, MA. Scrappers hit the area pretty hard. Believe it or not, the manages to steal the electric meter of the side of my dad's camp. And the power was on. I will call and see if I can get the info on the grader

Shows what I know. it is a 1949 Allis Chalmers WD45 he thought it was important to mention it is Gas not dieisel. Any suggestions?

That is actually a farm tractor with a grader attacment. Nice little unit. should not be too hard to find a Radiator for it from a tractor Junkyard. Tell him to try Smilleys of Freehold. Talk to Charlie or George and tell em Speedo Dave sent you. They know me. Your dad can drive there and pick it up as it is fairly close.

Welcome to Smiley's Equipment - Home

Your dad, Yes, he is east of me, and I am west of him...:P Sometimes I ain't as smart as I look. :D Dandy Dave!

Edited by Dandy Dave (see edit history)

I need to talk to him again. I think he got confused (he was doing something when I asked him about it) . He does have a small allis chalmers farm tractor but the grader is a massive road construction type piece of equipment.

I sold parts for AC construction equipment many years ago. I believe your dad may have a model D grader. They were very popular machines. The D is the gas version and the DD is the diesel. That is why he made sure to specify it is a gas grader.

I sold parts for AC construction equipment many years ago. I believe your dad may have a model D grader. They were very popular machines. The D is the gas version and the DD is the diesel. That is why he made sure to specify it is a gas grader.

I have repaired an AC. DD for a friend a number of years ago when a rear final drive broke a hub and spit out it's bearings . The DD had under drive. Nice machine to operate as it was smaller than the Cats and easier to get around driveways. Hydraulics to the blade means you didn't get your wrist knocked like on the gear driven cats. Also, did some work on a D for a friend that had it for many years. Trying to think if the DD shared the same engine as a D-17 Diesel tractor?

Dandy Dave!