Sign in to follow this  
Lockhouse

49 Headlights

Hi,

I've just lost the headlights on my '49 Super. All the other lights are working OK, but both the main headlight units have suddenly stopped working. I know there's no fuse for them - I believe it's a thermal relay. Any idea where I should start looking for the problem?

Thanks,

Andy

Benefits of AACA Membership.

Hi,

I've just lost the headlights on my '49 Super. All the other lights are working OK, but both the main headlight units have suddenly stopped working. I know there's no fuse for them - I believe it's a thermal relay. Any idea where I should start looking for the problem?

Thanks,

Andy

Dimmer switch then light switch.

When I started working at an Olds dealer (1977) there was an older mechanic that was nicknamed "sealed beams". I inquired about the name. A few years earlier he was trying to repair a 1965 Olds with inoperative high and low beams. He tore the car apart replacing the switch, dimmer switch and finally removing the harness. One of the other mechanics asked if he had checked the headlamp bulbs. He replied that it was impossible for all four of the headlamps to burn out at the same time. You guessed it! That was the problem! I'm pretty sure this incident is why he was relegated to only prep new cars. Lesson learned, always check for power and ground!

That was why I was asking if the high beams worked. My dad took his car to the dealer for service and asked them why the lights stopped working. The high beams worked but the low beams didn't. You guessed it, the bulbs had burnt out at the same time.

The strangest thing - I went to pick the car up today and the headlights were working fine. Checked all the wiring, couldn't see any problems at all.

The strangest thing - I went to pick the car up today and the headlights were working fine. Checked all the wiring, couldn't see any problems at all.

Long, long hours in the Pub have been known to create similar conditions.:)

(sorry, just couldn't resist)

Jim

If you get a loose battery connection while driving at speed with the lights on the generator can suddenly go to maximum charge-or higher- and burn out some lights.

Many times folks drive for months on one headlight and then when the other one burns out they suspect a major problem.

There is one wire going from the dimmer switch forward to a juntion block for the dims. Same for high beams.

a $3 test light can save you lots of grief.

Sad story:

I once had a lady bring a nice Opel to my shop because there was a headlight problem. No headlights.

She had torn the dash and instument panel apart trying to find the problem.

After she mentioned that the high beams worked I installed a new sealed beam and it worked fine. So i installed the other one too and all was well again.

The owner was just sick that she had ruined a really nice car by tearing into it in all the wrong places.

I suspect she had been driving for some time not knowing one headlight was out, when the other one went she expected major money to repair.

If you get a loose battery connection while driving at speed with the lights on the generator can suddenly go to maximum charge-or higher- and burn out some lights.

Many times folks drive for months on one headlight and then when the other one burns out they suspect a major problem.

There is one wire going from the dimmer switch forward to a juntion block for the dims. Same for high beams.

a $3 test light can save you lots of grief.

Sound advice - cheers.

If they don't come on first time I've found that switching from dipped to main beam and back again makes them work. Must be a switch issue.