Sign in to follow this  
rayvaflav

1964 Rear Axle Shaft Problem

Greetings, I just joined the AACA a few minutes ago and I already have an odd question. I recently replaced both rear axle shaft outer bearings on my 1964 Riviera. The left side is all fine but the right side .... After adjusting the new rear brake shoes and installing the drum (freshly turned) it rotates just as it should, with a the right amount of drag. Now when I bolt up the wheel, it won't rotate at all . The tire is not hitting the exhaust and when I install the drum only and snug it down, it won't rotate .

I have since added a washer over each wheel stud, in between the axle flange and the drum just to move the car and that seems to work . My guess is that I have pressed the axle bearing onto the shaft too deeply (too near the inside of the axle flange) but I did not think that it was possible to do that, that the bearing could not press on too far . Has this happened to anyone one else, or just poor lucky me ?

Thanks in advance for your help, I will try to press the bearing back towards the center and pray that I don't damage my new bearing and/or locking ring.

Ray (1964 Riviera, Coral Mist/White/Loaded !)

Is the drum hitting the backing plate? My guess of what is causing the interference physically. You're probably right about the depth of the shaft.

No interference on the backing plate, the brake shoes are set correctly (I was worried that the drum that I resurfaced was so distorted that it was siezed on the shoes but luckily that wasn't the case) and I reinstalled the axles as the same side to which I removed them (I assume that they are the same length anyway), I think that I must have pressed the bearing and retainer too far onto the axle shaft. I just hope that I can move it back without damage to the bearing or retaining ring.

Thanks, Ray

Not 100% sure about the 64 but it is not possible to press the bearing on too far on a 66. The bearing is pressed on until it bottoms out.

The only other time I've seen your symptoms is when the wrong brake shoes were installed. I'm pretty sure the 64 is like the 66 in that the front shoes are 2-1/4" wide and rear shoes are 2" wide. Put the wider front shoes on the back and the drum won't spin when you tighten the lugs.

Good thought, Jason. You are correct that the 1964 Riviera REAR brake shoes are 2" wide (and the fronts are 2.25" wide). Wouldn't it be great if Ray simply has wrong brake shoes on the rear? After checking out the rears for proper size, perhaps a guy should double check that 2.25" ones are on the front. John

Not 100% sure about the 64 but it is not possible to press the bearing on too far on a 66. The bearing is pressed on until it bottoms out.

The only other time I've seen your symptoms is when the wrong brake shoes were installed. I'm pretty sure the 64 is like the 66 in that the front shoes are 2-1/4" wide and rear shoes are 2" wide. Put the wider front shoes on the back and the drum won't spin when you tighten the lugs.

Good thought, Jason. You are correct that the 1964 Riviera REAR brake shoes are 2" wide (and the fronts are 2.25" wide). Wouldn't it be great if Ray simply has wrong brake shoes on the rear? After checking out the rears for proper size, perhaps a guy should double check that 2.25" ones are on the front. John

Okay guys, I like what you're saying here and I really like this theory for a few reasons. It's something that I can check pretty easily, if that's the problem it won't cost me any more money and I won't come home smelling like rear axle fluid again ! Plus, I can easily see it as a mistake that I would have made. If I had replaced the axle bearing only I should focus on that but since I wanted to make a big difference of before the car went on the hoist and after ......

That's right, I replaced the four wheel cylinders, all of the brake hoses, shocks, front and rear wheel bearings and of course, all of the brake shoes. I will pull the wheels tomorrow and I am betting that I will find what youse guys suggest. Nice work.

Ray

Hey all,

Currently performing drum to disc conversion on my 64 Riviera (rear first) and wanted to post my recent experience to save someone else from some frustration and waste of time and money.  

After pulling axle shafts out, CAREFULLY cutting out old bearing retaining ring and wheel bearing and cleaning everything up I bought "National" brand bearings (Part#88128 RA).  I pressed these bearings and retaining rings on to axle shafts (with axle retaining PLATE slipped on FIRST), installed disc brackets, new seals, lubed shaft splines, greased area per manual etc and reinstalled axle shafts.

I tightened down the nuts for the axle retaining plates (not torqued to specs of 50lbs. yet) and noticed the axle shafts would not turn or turn very much.  After searching the net and this forum I read another member had similar issue but he did not go into specifics.

It turns out that although the National brand wheel bearing (Part#88128 RA) fits 1964 Riviera axles, the bearing retaining ring is too wide causing the ring to hit axle tube seal.  Since I don't have a torch and too cheap to have some else do the work I CAREFULLY cut out the new wheel bearings and retaining rings from the axle shafts!  (Initially I tried to just cut out the retaining ring and save the wheel bearing but it was too time consuming and difficult to keep from damaging wheel bearing-so off they all went).

I purchased a NEW set of wheel bearings/retaining rings from Timken (Part#514003) via RockAuto and pressed them on.  I reinstalled axle shafts and torqued retaining plate nuts to spec and problem solved!  The attached photos show significant difference in size between National brand retaining ring vs. Timken brand ring.  I plan to do a separate post regarding drum to disc conversion as I near completion but for now...avoid running into this problempost-140952-0-20034900-1445098640_thumb.post-140952-0-74914100-1445098717_thumb.post-140952-0-96685000-1445098748_thumb.

First two pics shows bearing with larger ring with correct (smaller) ring slipped on.  Last photo is of new bearing and new smaller ring installed.