BEWARE OF SCAMS FROM UK

Guest garyd57olds

Guest garyd57olds

I posted for 1962 Oldsmobile Starfire Hubcaps wanted.

I received an email from the UK stated that he had a set

for sale with the clips for $260.00. He wanted me to Western Union him the

money. After me WU him the money he gave me a tracking number and a

homemade website First Flight Courier. When i put in my tracking number it said held due to duty tax. I informed him through email of the situation.

He emailed me back said to send him $150.00 more for duty tax.

I was sort of mad and confused. I wanted him to split it $75.00 each.

He only agreed to $100.00. So again I WU him $100.00.

I did some checking and the site I believe was fake. I contacted WU and was

able to get back the $100.00 but I am out $260.00.

Edited by West Peterson (see edit history)

I don't remember names, but after posting on some boards like this one I got replys from UK wanting to sell me the parts I needed. I knew it was likely a scam so I never "bit" on them. But yes I have been contacted and I have read posts on some boards I frequent where many others have received emails from UK stating they had the parts.

Sorry you got ripped off.

Mike

Edited by rocketraider (see edit history)

Every time I post on this or other web sites I get similar replies. They always have the parts in stock in the UK. The items I look for are very rare and I am sure they were never in the UK. I think the AACA should have an opening post (Sticky) to alert everyone about these emails. I think this should be done every month or two to keep everyone reminded. This is not a negative about the AACA just we should all work together to negate these people an alert everyone!

Ken

Guest Silverghost

I have received similar replys from the UK.

Most are in a form-letter style stating that have the parts that you are seeking.

OR~

The parts are now "Back in stock"

Strange~

They do not mention any specific part however.

They also ask what other parts I am seeking?

Aways stay away from Western Union payment scams !

I suspect this is the very same guy pulling all these scams !

BEWARE !

Guest pete324rock

Yes I get these too for a 1956 olds bumper that I must have posted somewhere that I was looking for one........but coming from England is a dead give away,plus I would be wary of any solicitation really. This has been going on for a couple years for me. I report them to spamcop but it still goes on. The guy/gal is using a google email acount. Sorry you fell for it. Should have know better.

I'd like for this topic to stay up so people will read and think before sending their money to an unknown offshore vendor, but AACA's posting guidelines tell us to keep names out of posts like this to head off legal action.

I'm trying to figure a way to get this guy's name out of the posts but I can't edit the original title. I'm going to lock the thread for a couple days and keep it visible, then I'll probably have to get rid of it since I can't edit the name out of the title.

Even though I'm pretty sure this guy is operating under an alias or an assumed name, I have to err on the side of caution.

Bottom line- never send money to an offshore entity you are not familiar with. Even though I have a friend who successfully bought NOS Torino Cobra parts from Peru via ebay, ya gotta remember NOS or excellent used American car parts are not likely to be found outside the States.

! OK- another moderator showed me how to edit the title, so I've unlocked it. Feel free to discuss without naming names!

Guest Jim_Edwards
Every time I post on this or other web sites I get similar replies. They always have the parts in stock in the UK. The items I look for are very rare and I am sure they were never in the UK. I think the AACA should have an opening post (Sticky) to alert everyone about these emails. I think this should be done every month or two to keep everyone reminded. This is not a negative about the AACA just we should all work together to negate these people an alert everyone!

Ken

Maybe we should work at the dispensing of common sense!

Why would anyone in their right mind be expecting that there were/are any great number of parts for American produced vehicles anywhere other than North America, much less commonality for someone to be offering them privately via E-Mail? It would seem the first clue would be there is often nothing short of pure hell in finding parts here for cars that were produced in the 100's of thousands, and that with links to legitimate domestic sellers being all over the place. Any expectation those kind of parts are in ample supply in Europe or elsewhere at any price is beyond wishful thinking.

Sorry for sounding harsh, but I just have this thing about people needing to exercise common walking around sense.

Jim

• 2 months later...
Maybe we should work at the dispensing of common sense!

Why would anyone in their right mind be expecting that there were/are any great number of parts for American produced vehicles anywhere other than North America, much less commonality for someone to be offering them privately via E-Mail? It would seem the first clue would be there is often nothing short of pure hell in finding parts here for cars that were produced in the 100's of thousands, and that with links to legitimate domestic sellers being all over the place. Any expectation those kind of parts are in ample supply in Europe or elsewhere at any price is beyond wishful thinking.

Sorry for sounding harsh, but I just have this thing about people needing to exercise common walking around sense.

Jim

I guess nowadays it is part of the expectations when we advertise on prewar car o here etc. With the exception of Australia which ended up with alot of independent make cars in the 20s, the chance that there is a hidden horde of early auburn, moon, templar parts etc in England would not be likely. i am starting to get alot of emails out of England over a WTB ad i submitted. Thus i insist on pictures and details. When those pictures come back with a picture of the Auburn 6-66 in the acd museum and a willingness to strip for parts then at least the scammers time was wasted. sad commentary.

Keith

keith123451@live.com

1922,1926 auburn

moon and auburn parts

I guess nowadays it is part of the expectations when we advertise on prewar car o here etc. With the exception of Australia which ended up with alot of independent make cars in the 20s, the chance that there is a hidden horde of early auburn, moon, templar parts etc in England would not be likely. i am starting to get alot of emails out of England over a WTB ad i submitted. Thus i insist on pictures and details. When those pictures come back with a picture of the Auburn 6-66 in the acd museum and a willingness to strip for parts then at least the scammers time was wasted. sad commentary.

Keith

keith123451@live.com

1922,1926 auburn

moon and auburn parts

Perhaps though we can not post names that we be allowed to post those email address of those attempting to scam once confirmed the offer of parts is not real.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest 1969dan

I had an Olds for sale on a couple of sites with mileage, price, photos, etc. and I would get emails stating that they were interested, and then ask for what was clearly stated in the ad. I delete those real quick.

• 1 month later...

Hi

I've been contacted a few times from buyers in the UK. Each time I ask for photos of the parts and they always claim that their camera doesn't work or they don't know how to attach photos. If I ask them to post the part on E-Bay they always claim that they don't have an account or some such nonsense.

I read on another post that their is a scam using paypal also. The buyer will send you a fake paypal invoice for an amount that is over what you as asking for and you are to refund the difference to him using your real paypal account.