55 Century 66R Project

Mudbone

6 hours ago, old-tank said:

What is with the buzzing and delayed warm-up?  I thought that would be eliminated with the upgrade.

It is an option. I requested it. I wouldn't want them to take off points if it didn't buzz!  :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

“Buick Saturday”  I was able to clean up the knobs and controls and install the radio this morning. I will test fit the upper dash before tightening the radio mount bolts.

20210508_100012.jpg

20210508_100019.jpg

• Like 5

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, Fr. Buick said:

Any reason to install the radio now, and not once the dash is installed?  Seems like a lot of extra weight to an already delicate job.

I thought it would be easier with the radio in. How hard are they to put in after the dash is in? I have never removed one before.

Edited by Mudbone (see edit history)

It's big and heavy, leave it out until the dash is bolted in.  They are easy to remove and install.

Cover the push buttons with masking tape to prevent scratching, and as the radio is slid up into the dash, push the buttons in and you get clearance.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Fr. Buick said:

It's big and heavy, leave it out until the dash is bolted in.  They are easy to remove and install.

Cover the push buttons with masking tape to prevent scratching, and as the radio is slid up into the dash, push the buttons in and you get clearance.  

That was the original plan. However the radio doesn’t weigh very much now as he took out 5 lbs of components. Also this has the rear speaker switch hard wired in so I would need to feed the wire/switch through the dash to install the switch. I also have the stands that I made so when installing the dash it is at the correct height and all components can be connected before the final bolt in. If it was not for these things I think you are right about installing it later.

(Anyone have an idea of exactly where the speaker switch wires go through? I have a hundred photos but not one of the wire routing)

20210509_075050.jpg

20210509_075455.jpg

20210509_075502.jpg

Edited by Mudbone (see edit history)
  • Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

I finally had some time this weekend to work on a few things. The wiring harness is next as I want to hook everything back up before the dash goes back in. I discovered something interesting. The fuse panel was made in des plaines IL. about 49 miles from me!

20210531_113800.jpg

20210531_201226.jpg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Mudbone said:

I finally had some time this weekend to work on a few things. The wiring harness is next as I want to hook everything back up before the dash goes back in. I discovered something interesting. The fuse panel was made in des plaines IL. about 49 miles from me!

I noticed just a couple weeks ago that my 57 hood hinges were made in Brookfield, IL which is maybe 40 miles from me.  You must be near.

• Like 1

I spent 45 minutes carefully taping off the backing and turned my regulator down to about 70 psi and then blasted it with worn out glass beads. I also blasted all the wire ends on the harness. (This is why my car is not done!!!!)

20210606_200106.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2