Mudbone

55 Century 66R Project

Thanks Willie. I am trying some Chem-dip carb cleaner. There may be nothing left when I take it out! Mud

I am still waiting for a storage unit to open up for the Model T. We had our first snow today and Mama’s not happy her car is sitting outside. Anyway I am finally getting some free time to get back to the Buick. I set the oil fill cap aside as it is ready to paint. I started on the turn signals and headlight buckets. At least until I get that storage unit, then I hope to get back on the body. Mud

post-50945-143142832685_thumb.jpg

post-50945-143142832705_thumb.jpg

post-50945-143142832716_thumb.jpg

post-50945-143142832726_thumb.jpg

We had a new 55 Century, it was a good high end speed car. Did lots of top speed racin on Route 66. Mom never knew, hehe.

Bloomington, Il was a race car base for a few ARCA DRIVERS. One night one of the crew members was bragging about how fast his personal car was, well Les Tiger Snow a driver said, HEY my parts truck will out run your car. It was a 90 MPH Car at best. Tiger pulled me to the side and said take your Moms Century and follow me, and if I wave, PUSH me past his car. On Route 66 at about 85 he waved and I gave him a push, YES I KNOW IT WAS STUPID, but at 18 I FEARED little.

Needless to say the crew member was upset. Speed limit signs on 66 read, REASONABLE and PROPER

Dale in Indy

Edited by smithbrother (see edit history)

Beautifull job you did on the trunk ! what a details .......

This is gona be a very nice car

Keep going !

Paul

Sometimes small things are rewarding. Like uncovering A “Made In USA” stamping on the back of a headlight bucket

post-50945-143142846306_thumb.jpg

post-50945-143142846318_thumb.jpg

post-50945-143142846329_thumb.jpg

While I am waiting for the parts to finish the headlight buckets I finished the turn signals.

post-50945-143142869958_thumb.jpg

post-50945-143142869986_thumb.jpg

Ahhh, this really reminds me of when I did my '55 Special 38 years ago. Good job!

One headlight bucket done. OK, I understand T3 headlights started in 1956. Is there a correct sealed beam for 55?

post-50945-143142875262_thumb.jpg

post-50945-143142875265_thumb.jpg

post-50945-143142875267_thumb.jpg

I used a T-3 on my Special and nobody noticed...BUT, Otis supposed to have a black glass back. If I think of it, I will take a pic tomorrow.

I used a T-3 on my Special and nobody noticed...BUT, Otis supposed to have a black glass back. If I think of it, I will take a pic tomorrow.

Its supposed to be what? Black glass back? I can hardly say it.

Mud, do you oven bake any parts that you paint?

No, I have not. I used Valspar spray can on the buckets. It is just acrylic enamel. Very slow drying.

OK, now I get it. What are the odds of finding these?

Mud, these are very rare and expensive when found. Looking closely you will see an actual separate bulb inside and they are smooth on the outer surface with no aiming lugs in the glass (T-3 and later had 3 lugs). There were 2 types in 55: early had a metal back and later had a glass back. They say 'sealed beam', but were not sealed well since many have blackening of the silver reflector as is the case of the 2 on my original car. I found 2 more, but the low beam is not working on one...these came from a 55 Pontiac and it is my understanding that all 55 GM cars used those, so your are competing with many and they are not reproduced.

For judging just use 2 matching non-halogen sealed beams and you should not use points.

Willie

BTW, Willie made me buy this pair at some Nationals, after telling me my T-3's weren't correct. I will say that these cost only slightly less than the repro T-3.

As far as finding some, pretty slim chance. Like Old Tank said, just use non halogens, or buy mine for $250 after I have the convertible judged...

;)

BTW, Willie made me buy this pair at some Nationals, after telling me my T-3's weren't correct. I will say that these cost only slightly less than the repro T-3.

As far as finding some, pretty slim chance. Like Old Tank said, just use non halogens, or buy mine for $250 after I have the convertible judged...

;)

Ha, the ones in my car are from before 1982. That was when the original owner parked it. I tested the first one Saturday and it worked fine. I tested the second one tonight and the whole thing filled with white smoke! I will just put new sealed beams in and call it done. Thanks, guys. Mud

The metal-backed lamps for my '54 have been fun. One piece at a time, as Johnny Cash used to sing...

The metal-backed lamps for my '54 have been fun. One piece at a time, as Johnny Cash used to sing...

mud,did you have the headlight buckets sand blasted before painting?need to clean mine up and paint,4 bufords from ct

mud,did you have the headlight buckets sand blasted before painting?need to clean mine up and paint,4 bufords from ct

Yes, I have a small cabinet blaster in my garage. Mud

Cool Stuff! I found a product called VersiMold. It is a silicone rubber base product that has the consistency of sticky modeling clay and cures when you add heat. Now I can make small rubber parts for the Buick that I can’t buy. Make a mold, work the product into the mold and heat to 250 degrees, let it cool and you have a new part! I made some trunk stops today. Mine were long gone. Thanks to Willie he had an extra set of the metal cores. (Video coming soon) Mud

http://versimold.com/

post-50945-143142939438_thumb.jpg

post-50945-143142939451_thumb.jpg