55 Century 66R Project

Mudbone

After doing the roof and having so many problems I was getting discouraged with painting in general. I now have a new desiccant filter/dryer, new paint gun and different paint with slower reducer and slower activator for the clear. The paint went on just like acrylic enamel from the past and the clear went on just as smooth. I pulled the tape back at the area where the cowl meets the firewall. The color match looks pretty good. With a little sanding and buffing I don’t think it will be too noticeable. I am more confident now on doing the rest of the car!

20210124_122506.jpg

20210124_122620.jpg

20210124_122642.jpg

20210124_122657.jpg

20210124_122717.jpg

• Like 2

I forgot to mention the potential big screw up I made. Saturday morning I was doing some clean up and using a blow gun to remove some dust before masking and painting. Apparently I had shut off my air compressor after I did this. So I basically sprayed one coat of sealer, three coats of base coat and three coats of clear on one full tank of air! On my last coat of clear it felt a little different than the two previous coats. When I was done I checked my regulator gauge and it was down to 26 psi. (I was spraying with 28 psi) I was very lucky that the last coat wasn’t a disaster!   :D

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, JohnD1956 said:

@Mudbone Sue speaks the truth.  In the 10 years you have been working on yours I may have driven mine more than 10K ...  You need to finish that before there is no more gas made. 🤔

Actually it’s been more like 20 years, and yes, I am working on an optional Tesla conversion as I type!  :D

• Haha 5

After trying just about every product I had to remove the yellowing on the engine turned aluminum dash inserts, including brake clean, carb cleaner, every paint thinner including lacquer thinner. I decided to try some non toxic paint and varnish remover.

• Like 6

13 hours ago, 38Buick 80C said:

I didn't have the volume on so forgive me if you mentioned this in the video.

Do you think you removed an old layer of clear coat that you will have to respray?

None the less turned out very nice and look forward to seeing it all back together.

Yes, I will need to put some clear coat back on.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Smartin said:

Even if it was soda blasted, I would sand to prep metal.  That looks like good ol’ sand.

I called the guy tonight and he said he used some type of slag product not Soda. I guess I should have put a sign on it I wanted it Soda Blasted.  That is what I asked for.