55 Century 66R Project

A day late getting it to the PO Mud but should be to you Monday.. Just curious, the one I sent you has some surface rust and light pitting but nothing a bit of high build can't handle, would this particular area, top of headlight, be the same on a large series. I had a nicer one on a 55 Super I could have cut. I meant to have held the Century one up to the Super and answered my own question but forgot.

One thing I know for sure,,,,,,,,I have the ability to see, be inspired, JUMP in head first in projects that I LIKE, B4 I understand what all is involved.

Kind of goes with my loving, ( to do those things I don't know how to do ). My current arty piece is an example, 331 pieces, plus 129 copper rivets, 460 total pieces. Oh well, so far it's only taken 6-plus months of my life.

Loving every minute though,

Dale in Indy

A day late getting it to the PO Mud but should be to you Monday.. Just curious, the one I sent you has some surface rust and light pitting but nothing a bit of high build can't handle, would this particular area, top of headlight, be the same on a large series. I had a nicer one on a 55 Super I could have cut. I meant to have held the Century one up to the Super and answered my own question but forgot.

I'm sure it will be fine. I think any GM car of that era would work for a patch. Olds and Pontiac would work too.

• 2 weeks later...

Buick Saturday: I was out in the garage at 7:30 A.M. ready to get a lot done, and then I looked at the mess I left from the last two weekends. So I started cleaning and putting things away. I was then able to install my right side hood hinge spring and blasted the left one and got it painted. I started looking for hardware for the right inner and outer fender. The only thing I am missing is the front mount bolt for the inner fender. I will look at the left one and match it up. I came in about 5:00 P.M. I was Pooped!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4QbBhDZTpo

• Like 4

Great tool you made there Mud! BTW, I've decided your signature doesn't apply anymore....you make EVERYTHING look "easy". Here's hoping you keep up the videos on reassembly of the front clip as I have one I need to put back together "someday"

• 8 months later...

Coming soon!  Project 66R updates. As of now I am planning to take a day off next week to do some work on the 66R. I have a high spot on the right ¼ panel where I welded in a patch where the inner fender held water and rusted a small hole. A friend is coming over with his shrinking disc so we can get that ¼ ready for primer. We also plan on installing the hood so I can finish the fender door alignment.

• Like 4

That should be interesting, both the metal shrinking and especially the hood,fender and door alignment, I've been waiting on that one. Bet that will eat up some video footage:)

We decided to work on the right rear quarter panel first. I welded in a patch years ago and warped the metal somewhat. I was not able get the high spots out with a hammer and dolly so we are using a shrinking disc. It took a while but we got it.

• Like 2
18 hours ago, Mudbone said:

I put it in my Will that if I die before I finish the car it is to be shipped directly to Mike Middleton to be finished and then he has to drive it by my gravesite and honk!

He has to finish his first....;)

• Like 4
4 hours ago, buick5563 said:

"You've got to be careful when you have another car sitting around...all of a sudden it becomes a parts car".

Mudbone

Yep.

Even with some pieces missing, if it runs & drives, I still consider it to be a 'work in progress'.  Once enough pieces come off such that it no longer drives -- then it's a parts car!  :o

On 11/13/2016 at 5:28 PM, Mudbone said:

I am getting ready to do some work on Project 66R. First I have to find the hood!

The hood rests right between the front fenders! I know, I asked my wife!

• 1 year later...

After a year of distractions I finally had a few hours to work on project 66R. I started the process of lining up hood, fenders and doors before paint preparation. (I just had to put on some shiny stuff just for fun)

• Like 3
  • 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Mudbone said:

Buick Saturday: How many times can I take a fender off and on in one day?

I do not think many people understand this phenomenon (and they get less understanding if there is an hourly bill attached) - I spend hours and hours fitting things that had very decent alignment when I took them off and then when done and taken off to paint again then spend hours refitting (whole days often go by in process too). 

• Like 1