1923 buick exhaust manifold... steel rings??

mrspeedyt

I removed the intake and exhaust manifolds from the '23 to clean the carb and replace the leaking exhaust manifold/ to head gasket and found one steel 1 and 1/2" diameter by 3/8" sleeve inserted in one port that in turn fits into the exhaust manifold. I would guess that buick intended that each exhaust port have a sleeve in it to help seal the head to exhaust manifold... as in each exhaust port there is a area in the head and the exhaust manifold that accepts the sleeve perfectly. so it appears that i'm missing three of them. maybe the local buick dealer or napa has some in stock.:rolleyes: or I could make three replacements out of 1 and 1/2" steel tubing. the big question is that the one sleeve that I have is... it is not a complete circle... it has a gap of 1/16" inch. it would seem to me that it would seal better without the gap. anybody else have any experience with this?

Hi,

I'm not familiar with a 1923 Buick, but my 1937 Special has manifold pilot rings. I believe that is what your rings are called. They have the gap so they can be squeezed together and inserted into the block to help position the manifold. At least that has always been my belief of there purpose. Bob's Automobilia lists pilot rings back to 1925. I have no idea if they would fit your car, but you could call up Bob's and maybe they could help you. Good luck.

• 1 month later...

an update... I made 5 rings (from a thin wall pipe I found) to help seal the 4 exhaust ports and the 2 intake ports... got it all back together except for the gas line to the carb.... I'll finish the job on the next trip back to my arizona home.